Game You are Currently Addicted to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks Ethan for the Info , here the game did not arrive yet !

Ethan which monitor are u playing now ??
Currently playing on my old 19 inch CRT. The 24 inch should arrive this week. I was initially planning to start the game off on that monitor, but once I started off, I got totally hooked to it. So now there is no stopping me.

dinjo_jo said:
ethan are you on dx 9 or dx10

And are there any frame rate hits when the mod is used ?
DX9. I have never gamed on DX10, except for once while trying Crysis on Windows Sh*tsta. There is no frame rate hit that it takes with the mod. The mod just revamps the colour system of the entire game, so this doesn't hinder any performance.

nvidiageek said:
Is it scary, Ethan? Please tell me. Anyway, I've got nothin' to play! Just Bionic Commando & Section 8. Hell! I need to buy NFS: SHIFT, RF: G, Batman and most probably RE5.
Scary? Not yet it isn't. I have currently reached Chapter 3 Act 5 and not one scary moment. There was a dark mine area that I had to go through, but nothing really spooked the bee-jeebus out of me. Like I said before, it's full out action. There was an awesome part in the game where we had to shoot the zombies with a turret while riding in a vehicle. That was amazing. Then there one CGI cut-scene where Chris flashback's his fight against Wesker and how he looses Jill in the battle. That cut-scene almost reminded me of the Matrix fight sequences.

topgear said:
@ Ethan_Hunt- read your reviews on RE5. Your comment made me irresistible to get this game. Managed to get the xbox 360 controller from one of my buddy as he is going for wireless one. Will install and play RE4 and RE5

BTW, as you said RE5 works wonder with KB and mouse I will try that 1st
Playing is better than reading. Screw my comments, just get the game(s). I promise you, it will be worth the effort. RE4 needs a bit of time investment with all the tweaks which need to be applied. The forum members should help you out on it. I suppose quan_chi could fill you in on it as he had been experimenting quite a lot with that game then I ever did. Once you get it all fixed up, plug the controller and get ready for a big adventure. Take your time to get adjusted to the controls. Don't give up on it after a few frustrating attempts.

RE5 is a cakewalk with keyboard and mouse. I have been using it so far and it's easily adaptable. So start off with RE4 first and then pick up RE5.

dinjo_jo

Padawan
Yes RE5 with KB Mouse is very fluid played last night it was very graphical, the lightning is amazing in the game.By tomorrow Red Faction Guerilla would be in my hands,

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Installed RE4 on Windows 7, played 2 hours non stop with controller. Great game, but when I started the game next time all the saves were gone !! WTF.
Playing the game now in XP compatibility mode and the saves are working fine, but I'll have to replay whole 2 hrs again :(.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
@constantine - 100MB takes 90 mins! Phuc! But, it makes so irresistible waitin' for that & when I get the game in my hands, as Ethan said, there's no stoppin' me, too.

@Ethan - You haven't answered me yet. How's Red Faction: Guerrilla?

Hell, SHIFT'll be in my hands probably in the next week! :( I don't know when I'll get RF: G & Batman & RE5.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Just checked Gamespot's review of Need For Speed: Shift. These guys gave it 7.0 and 3 bad emblems which says long loading time.. horrible sound tracks and Very deep learning curve. Are they true? I think desiibond played the game. So, he can answer this question. Just at the time when i was thinking about getting this game, this review stunned me.

Part of Gamepro review.

Unfortunately, I eventually hit a wall with my leveling that seriously took the air out of my tires. As in an RPG, you're going to have to suffer through some grinding and from time to time, the excitement of collecting stars begins to wane. One-on-one races and drift events became soul-crushingly frustrating, and difficult objectives demanded perfect driving. The uneven difficulty is made worse by the occasional rubber-band AI problems. Even after lowering the difficulty to easy I still found myself struggling to gain levels.

It's not the difficulty that bums me out as much as it's the change in pace. I got so used to blindly blowing oodles of money on upgrades-performance, mostly, since the aesthetic customization is limited to body kits rather than individual parts-that it was a jarring buzz-kill when leveling up came to a screeching halt. The time you'll spend before that dip, and after you conquer it, however, totally rock. The multiplayer ain't too shabby either: experience points and cash seamlessly tie to your offline career, and there's plenty of both to be earned in the stellar ladder tourneys and regular races.

Just at the time when I am thinking that.. Another Perfect NFS title.. this thing shook me. However the gamepro guy gave it solid 4 starts.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Loading time: yes. loading time is high but once the track is on, there is no lag!

soundtrack (not audio effects) : I never use in-game soundtracks. Anyways, will try and let you know

learning curve: I have been playing lot of sim racing so am able to win 15 out of 20 races with ease and now, I added lot of parts to Camaro and it wheeeeeezes past with ease (playing at normal difficulty).

One thing that I can say is, unlike most other racing games, you can feel the speed, the blurring effect is superb. Also, I really liked the sound effects of engine and tyres sliding. It fills my entire room. I showed the game to my friend who last played NFS:MW and never touched next three games and he was impressed and he played for sometime.

Also, as I said earlier, the cockpit view in this game is terrific. Infact, this is the first time I feel that cockpit view is better than out-of-the-car view that I used in all previous games including GRID and DIRT.

Will it get repetitive or difficult to drive, well, I won 15 out of 22 races and let's see what's in store for me in next few races. And yes, driving a Bugatti Veyron at Spa or Silverstone is not easy. It certainly needs some learning which you can do by doing "Quick Race".

Those who love to be on the racing line for 75% of race or more and those who love to slide and push their cars to the limit (Schumi style) will excel in this game.

If you haven't played G.R.I.D before and if you are thinking of buyin NFS Shift, I would suggest you to try G.R.I.D instead of NFS: Shift.

If you are very uncomfortable with semi-sim racing or sim-racing, stay away because one late or slow turn can put you in last place.

EA is going to release demo for Shift that will feature two tracks, the Spa and the London River and 5 cars (Dodge Viper, Lotus Elise, BMW M3 and Nissan GTR unlocked initially and the Pagani Zonda after winning all the races and getting all the stars). Expected by end of this month on consoles and on PC.

here are few gameplay videos:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkmtDFt3YDY
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZLOfMCgjY&feature=related

My verdict:

When compared to previous three editions of NFS, this one scores 100/100. In general, out of 10, I would give 8.0/10.

pros:

superb graphics
Game Audio Effects and engine sounds are perfect. (am in love with my MX-5021 again)
Superb car models
Bugatti Veyron baby!!!!
My favourite track Spa is available in this game. :)

cons:

not many cars and not many tracks that host major events (only spa, the ring, silverstone, brands hatch).
slow loading times
very steep learning curve for those who never played sim racing before.

Last edited:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I am not a new guy to racing sims. I played gran turismo 4(the real driving simulator :grin:) for almost 400hours.I played Grid and dirt too. But I found grid uneasy on pro diffuclty setting, because of the damage factor which is absent in gran turismo 4.

But the damn thing is i am new to the racing sims in which damage affecting the gameplay. That doesn't mean i crash too much. But the pro difficulty of GRID is giving me nightmares of SHIFT. In this game.. does damage effect gameplay a lot? I mean in hardest difficulty. I can have the fun only when i am in hardest difficulty.

And the reason for my poor skills in these types of games is grid gave me like 15fps or something. So.. i didn't had a chance to lean it. Where as gran turismo 4 was on Playstation 2.. No issue of frame rates there. How is the performence of SHIFT? Can a X4500hd can run it @30fps with all sets to ultra low?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^you started playing already??

anyways, this is a good developement for EA. Instead of everyone saying "sucks", Shift is getting mixed response and this should keep the franchise alive till Criterion injects NOS into the game next year. :)
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
I am not a new guy to racing sims. I played gran turismo 4(the real driving simulator :grin:) for almost 400hours.I played Grid and dirt too. But I found grid uneasy on pro diffuclty setting, because of the damage factor which is absent in gran turismo 4.

But the damn thing is i am new to the racing sims in which damage affecting the gameplay. That doesn't mean i crash too much. But the pro difficulty of GRID is giving me nightmares of SHIFT. In this game.. does damage effect gameplay a lot? I mean in hardest difficulty. I can have the fun only when i am in hardest difficulty.

And the reason for my poor skills in these types of games is grid gave me like 15fps or something. So.. i didn't had a chance to lean it. Where as gran turismo 4 was on Playstation 2.. No issue of frame rates there. How is the performence of SHIFT? Can a X4500hd can run it @30fps with all sets to ultra low?

you can set the damage not to effect the drive. which means that though car looks like a tin box at the end, driving will not be effected and you have option to turn off car damage.

if GRID is giving 15fps, this will give far far less fps. in my rig, GRID gives 70+fps and this one gives around 47 and if there is heavy traffic, fps drops to 30-35.
Posted again:
also, if possible, I will try to play this game on 780G at low settings and will let you know the performance and framerates.

Last edited:

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Yeah. SMS bought an awesome game, hope Criterion brings an awesome game, too, next year. These Critics are a$$holes. For Americanos, it's difficult to learn fast. Whereas for Indianos, it's a breeze. So don't worry 'bout "learnin'", it's THE best racin' games of all time. I'm not sayin' GRID's bad, it's the first track-based or simulation racin' game that I truly loved. But, SHIFT'll punch GRID in it's face, for awesomeness of the visuals & more, as IGN.com said. It'll be a resource hoggin' game though.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Also, EA should've just named Burnout Paradise as "NFS: Paradise". That would've taken NFS to a whole new level :)

My request for EA would be to keep two lines of NFS. one for hardcore sim fans and one for arcade fans.

I saw Nitro and thanks to the limited Wii graphics capability, it looked like a 1990's game.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Oh sh*t! I can't wait for the next NFS, even though I haven't got my hands on SHIFT yet *Phew*. Darn! NFS series is addictin'.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
thanks bond babai.Please Don't push yourself into dirt... No need for testing on 7800gt. One example of Grid blown all of my hopes to buy this game. It means i have to wait till i got a decent graphics solution. Now i am with Most Wanted. Holy Smokes.. I didn't even thought that this game is this much rewarding after passing the learning curve. Now i am on black list 7(exams are in progress). Checked lot of games this morning..

Resident Evil 5 - 7-10FPS with all settings low on DX9

Batman Arkham Asylum - 5FPS @ ultra low:)grin:)

Ghost Busters - Leave this i can't even read the fraps numbers.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
thanks bond babai.Please Don't push yourself into dirt... No need for testing on 7800gt. One example of Grid blown all of my hopes to buy this game. It means i have to wait till i got a decent graphics solution. Now i am with Most Wanted. Holy Smokes.. I didn't even thought that this game is this much rewarding after passing the learning curve. Now i am on black list 7(exams are in progress). Checked lot of games this morning..

Resident Evil 5 - 7-10FPS with all settings low on DX9

Batman Arkham Asylum - 5FPS @ ultra low:)grin:)

Ghost Busters - Leave this i can't even read the fraps numbers.
With onboard, it would be very difficult to tackle these new games. Better invest in a mid-range card at least, preferably a 9800GT 1GB.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^ My saving just reaching 9k.Have to travel lot of distance to buy a HD5850 and a PSU that can pull the beast. And on that day.. I will post my benchmarks in a newthread named "HD5850 Benchmarks done by me":rolleyes:

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Darn! Should I change my GPU? Radeon HD4850 512MB? Will it be able to do in ACII what it did in AC? And what 'bout Crysis 2? And MW2?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
*phew* Hd 4850 is not normal. It can run All the game easily. First.. you should stop worrying about ACII. I haven't played Original Assassins creed yet. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom