Game Dev Salary Avg 40 Lacs!!

Sujeet

Undead!!!
OK Too Much talks about the games.
Lets Shed some light on the Guys who make them happen.
These statistics are garnered from The Game Developer Salary Survey conducted by Game Developer Magazine. The study pinpoints the average salary at "mainstream" US-based companies during 2011 at $81,192 (up from $80,817 in 2010). But when broken down by position and expertise, you come up with the numbers listed below.

Art and Animation - $75,780 (up from $71,354)
Audio - $83,182 (up from $68,088)
Business - $102,160 (down from $106,452)
Game Design - $73,386 (up from $70,223)
Production - $85,687 (down from $88,544)
Programming - $92,962 (up from $85,733)
Quality Assurance - $47,910 (down from $49,009)
Source:How Much Do Game Developers Make? - Games News at IGN

With that avg figures its clear that Max Profit Goes To Publisher.
Ofcourse everybody knew that.

Still these guys sincerely deserve such large bucks for miracle that they create on screen.

Though its still next to impossible to quote such gigantic figures for Indian Game Devs on individual basis.:shock:

Will be turning to GD very soon:mrgreen:

Last edited:
OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
yeah man..bigger than Hollywood.
Currently estimated at around 68 bn $!!!
expected to grow to 112 bn$ in next 2-3 yrs.

Though most of it is centralised in Japan /UK /US.

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
What do you expect??
Indians turning into Grade A game dev..country where education=job=engineering/doctor.???!!!

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^didnt you check march issue of Digit.
Fast Track Bundled with it "Career In Game Development"
has all your answer..

In general it requires passion for not only PLAYING games but also THE ART OF MAKING IT.

Imagination beyond conventions and creativity is prerequisite.
Then comes the technical part which is bit exhaustive to explain.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Its not a child's play to become a GD. First the imagination + creativity required for it, intense & deep programming knowledge (especially c++), 3d stuffs resulting in a game engine.

Niilesh

Padawan
^ The process of Game Development can be divided b/w people which know specific things
One imagines another executes it ;)
Also for simple game we have many softwares available

@OP
The figure is 'mean' or 'mode'

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Of course duties are distributed but being in that are you are supposed to have all the basic fundamentals (which also lists creativity IMO) ;)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Hmm wudnt trust stats too much. Handful of particular games hit it big, so few studios make obscene amounts of money at that time. Its new platforms, new mechanics, and new ways of establishing transactions... Try to check out in what form the payment was made to the studios that earnd the big bucks. The "industry" is actually selling itself cheaper and cheaper, prices spiralling downwards towards the 'free' price point, so game devs r making a lot less money than they can. Expect heavy changes here as ads may b driving this industry now not consumers, a lot of ur gaming content is sponsored

Niilesh

Padawan
Of course duties are distributed but being in that are you are supposed to have all the basic fundamentals (which also lists creativity IMO) ;)
To get a degree, yes.
For developing,not necessary but helpful.
BTW everyone has a lil bit of creativity.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well actually Ads have already started rolling in games. Example - Burnout paradice

To get a degree, yes.
For developing,not necessary but helpful.
BTW everyone has a lil bit of creativity.

But it should be in right direction. :)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
but then u have to have work life balance..these guys dont have peace in personal life...lot of targets to meet ..see if u get more money.. need to compromise some thing

masterkd

Padawan
when i was in HS..i had a dream to become a GD..searched a lot how to become one..but job market..study opportunity etc. in India made me back out of that dream!! :(
But I still dream of it..may be one day I'll atleast know something of game developing..may be some day I'll get enough time to study on this..sad I'm never going to become one!!

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Yes.

For A Game designer know-how of every aspect of game development is must whether its 3d designing .scripting,story writing,programming,etc.Because Game designer's job is to control the whole project handled by artists,programmers,etc for which standard knowledge of all the fields is essential.

More importantly there are multiple personnel for different sections of games mainly in big Game projects with high budget..most of the Indie and casual games are brought up by team of 2-10 people so extensive knowledge of each person in concerned field is must since a bunch of guys have to handle all the responsibilities.

For beginners it is required that one should have artistic and logical vision along with solid knowledge a programming language like C++(jAVA is hardly used for mainstream console Game programming),scripting language like Lua/UnrealScript,Skills in 3D Package like 3dsMax/Maya and Ability to handle either 3D Game Package like UnrealEngine/UnrealED/Unity or self-developed engine(which is never a case for individuals).

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
3D Character models and environment are made in Zbrush and max/maya and imported in Game package like UDK/unity by saving those files in .FBX format and then using default import tool in UDK.
I am currently working on a new UDK project so i just remember this.

Top Bottom