France's Dassault flies away with $10-b fighter jet deal :D

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]NEW DELHI, JAN. 31:
The over $10-billion (Rs 50,000 crore) deal to supply 126 fighter jets to the Indian Air Force has been won by the French firm Dassault Aviation SA.

The deal is estimated to be the largest Indian defence deal. The number of Rafale aircraft supplied finally could increase as the contract allows for this.

Sources indicated that Dassault emerged the lowest bidder for supplying the 126 fighter jets, which was commonly known as the Medium Multi-role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA).

The French company beat five other contenders including Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Cassadian (formerly EADS), Eurofighter, Russian MiG 35 and SAAB.

While the initial cost of the project is estimated at $10 billion, it could go up depending on what emerges after detailed negotiations that are expected to begin shortly.

Official sources indicated that Dassault was informed of the Government decision on Tuesday morning. Although Dassault has been informed of the decision, industry sources indicate that it could take six months or more before the contract is finally inked.

Industry sources indicated that the Request for Proposal for the project has stipulated that the company which wins the contract will have to supply 18 of the 126 aircraft to the IAF in 36 months from its facilities and the remaining would be produced at HAL facilities.

PRICE NEGOTIATIONS

“The company will now begin price negotiations which will have to be approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security before the proposal can be inked,” sources said.

They point to the contract for the trainer aircraft project for the Air Force for which the successful bidder was announced close to eight months ago but the contract is yet to be inked. The issue of transfer of technology will also be discussed with the Indian authorities.

In many ways, the decision ends the gruelling efforts being made by the IAF in the past two years during which it has been evaluating the products of the six contenders with the aircraft offered being put through rigorous flight tests in Leh (high mountainous terrain), Jaisalmer (hot desert terrain) and Bangalore and also across the coastal belt.

OTHER PROPOSALS

Tuesday's decision comes on the heels of the Government clearing at least three-four proposals for the IAF during 2011, including the purchase of the C-17 Globe Master, C-130J Hercules and the $3-billion upgrade of 51 Mirage 2000 aircraft.

ashphadnis@thehindu.co.in

Business Line : Industry & Economy News : France's Dassault flies away with $10-b fighter jet deal

*fc00.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/118/3/0/Dassault_Rafale_by_AndrewDro.png

[YOUTUBE]qQPt4QDaZV0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@dashing.sujay......did u forgot we have the same congress party at center like we had at the time of boforce....and most of the corrupt politicians r still there in the ruling party...soo just wait for another 1000 crore scam :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@dashing.sujay......did u forgot we have the same congress party at center like we had at the time of boforce....and most of the corrupt politicians r still there in the ruling party...soo just wait for another 1000 crore scam :(

I know, plus in recent times, there have been loads of scam. And if this deal goes through a scam, I really wonder what would happen to India. This the most costly defence-deal, that's why its more worrying. :(

OP
prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
Rafale was chosen from other 5 contenders with most gruelling tests over a peroid of 5 years and moreover the evaluation test results will be made public so the chances of rigging are less :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right choice. More versatile than Eurofighter Typhoon. And from what I know, France was ready to give full ToT to us.

But why did it take so long? By the time it starts to get delivered to us, it will be outdated again.

I really would like to see the detailed test results, especially of Lockheed martin.
Lockheed Martin what? USA was offering an upgraded and better Lockheed Martin F16. Pakistan AF also uses F16. Obvious No. Plus, it was a crappy deal for a crappy aircraft.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Two were esp good, Rafale and ET. Mass production of ET was an issue last time I keenly watched news.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I strongly agree that deals with US are always crappy. But I liked LM due to personal orientation. :| Its not that I am favouring but actually wanted to see how it fared against others, especially with JSF under its belt, I just expected something better from it.

BTW nice to know that France is ready for full ToT.

OP
prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
the major point is that Dassault is offering full Transfer of Technology(TOT) which is a rarity given that its a 4.5+ gen aircraft and for the info F22 Raptor(the most advanced jet till date) is a fifth gen aircrfat,while the americans did not offer any TOT and always come withe strings attached.Also as ico mentioned the production inventory of Rafale is more advanced

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
However, government sources told Reuters about the $15 billion deal that France's Rafale jet was the likely winner, adding that the defence ministry was now considering buying another 80 or so jets and could invite bidders excluded from the current process to take part.

Already Asia's third-largest economy and growing fast, India has emerged as the world's leading importer of weapons as it jostles with China for influence and reach on the world stage.

France's Dassault Rafale wins IAF's biggest fighter jet deal - Indian Express

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
However, government sources told Reuters about the $15 billion deal that France's Rafale jet was the likely winner, adding that the defence ministry was now considering buying another 80 or so jets and could invite bidders excluded from the current process to take part.
trollbait? Too good to be true. Get 60 Eurofighter Typhoons at least for pure air superiority then. If this happens, China who?

OP
prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
trollbait? Too good to be true. Get 60 Eurofighter Typhoons at least for pure air superiority then. If this happens, China who?

that could happen to keep the Germny/UK/Spain/Italy happy but the typhoon isn mature as the Rafale and moreover cost a lot more

*2.bp.blogspot.com/-6wypY_A2p4I/Tdr3K-I4h6I/AAAAAAAABKs/xtbk76pWXJ4/s1600/capturexku.png

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Just read it on the morning paper. I think this is a good deal. Yes I was never happy with any of the deals with USA.

OP
prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
USa has currently the most advanced techs in the world but they want to part with even the older techs thats the problem

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^When they were offering 5th gen JSF, rumors were rife of its discrepancies. Many defence experts even said that its kind of a sh!t (half baked cake to be more precise) which US is trying to sell to India.

OP
prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
Thread cleaned up. :)

lol was wondering where did my prev post go

^When they were offering 5th gen JSF, rumors were rife of its discrepancies. Many defence experts even said that its kind of a sh!t (half baked cake to be more precise) which US is trying to sell to India.

yh moreover the US products come with strings attached and India would never by such produts

Sarath

iDota
Now since Paki is so loyal to the US despite all the intermittent cat fights, they would still buy their inventory from them.

Which means that if the EU produces better jets, then we have a win-win situation :)

Too good to be true though

Of course that is unless they start selling the F-22 raptor (last time I checked it was not for sale to other nations, don't know about now) and of course the most expensive and possibly advanced F-35 (very hideous)

maddy1205

bloody hell mate!!!!
check this out..

Will urge India to reconsider Dassault Rafale fighter deal: British Prime Minister David Cameron - The Times of India

Top Bottom