[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

hansraj

In the zone
A) Install terminal emulator or use ADB, and then issue this command
"dump_image recovery /sdcard/TWRP_recovery.img"

Thanks a lot. I will try do via ROM Toolbox pro as it also has a terminal emulator. If not then will do that using PC emulator. :)

Added later: I tried to do the same but I am getting a message
dump_image not found.

B) Use titanium backup pro, that will serve ur purpose

Do you mean to say that titanium back up pro will not restore the old firmware files and also remove the unwanted apps which would get installed on flashing the newer version of recovery?? Plz tell me this a bit in detail, like how to do in titanium..... coz if the titanium recovery starts interfering with the new firmware files then my effort shall be in vain or I may have to do everything once again.

C) As i explained earlier company's stock ROM cant be flashed in custom recovery n vice versa

Ok sir.... as told by you, chapter closed now :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I will try do via ROM Toolbox pro as it also has a terminal emulator. If not then will do that using PC emulator. :)

Added later: I tried to do the same but I am getting a message
dump_image not found.

Do you mean to say that titanium back up pro will not restore the old firmware files and also remove the unwanted apps which would get installed on flashing the newer version of recovery?? Plz tell me this a bit in detail, like how to do in titanium..... coz if the titanium recovery starts interfering with the new firmware files then my effort shall be in vain or I may have to do everything once again.

Ok sir.... as told by you, chapter closed now :)

A) Ur system doesn't have the dump_image binary it seems. Just Google for "dump_image binary android" , download this binary, and copy it to /system/bin, change its permissions to rw-r--r-- , then try again... Alternatively u can search Xda forum for ur phone, u will get a direct link to the twrp/cwm recovery image...
B) Titanium backup backups whatever u want, from user apps, user app data, contacts, system settings, BT pairings, WiFi details, everything to SDCard and after flashing a new ROM u can just install titanium backup and restore all of those...
Titanium has nothing to do with recovery etc..
More info Google:cool:

hansraj

In the zone
I googled & found one file "dump_image" without any extension (here) and did as you said.... first reboot 2-3 apps crashed with launcher too getting crashed.. dont know why. Next reboot everything went fine. So gave the command from pc as you mentioned. but now I am getting stuck at permissions. Here is the snapshot.. the same is happening in the android emulator as well.

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uUsoHOLlaks/Uu3cpEslg-I/AAAAAAAADBg/FcV2OtE25g0/w677-h342-no/Untitled.png

I rechecked the permissions they are rw-r--r-- or 0644... do I need to enable any special permission?? Or do I have to search for this file specific to my model ?

Thanks for the titanium part, I will do that :)

I googled & found one file "dump_image" without any extension (here) and did as you said.... first reboot 2-3 apps crashed with launcher too getting crashed.. dont know why. Next reboot everything went fine. So gave the command from pc as you mentioned. but now I am getting stuck at permissions. Here is the snapshot.. the same is happening in the android emulator as well.

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uUsoHOLlaks/Uu3cpEslg-I/AAAAAAAADBg/FcV2OtE25g0/w677-h342-no/Untitled.png

I rechecked the permissions they are rw-r--r-- or 0644... do I need to enable any special permission?? Or do I have to search for this file specific to my model ?

Thanks for the titanium part, I will do that :)

This seems the only thread related to ur phone,
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2553725

Tell me the contents of that ROM 7z file, o post a screenshot

hansraj

In the zone
You have found the only thread which even I was following up on XDA.... but seems that forum is not as active as ours. Anyways, you asked for the content of the rom 7z file. Find it below

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6794OvUJXnE/Uu4vbNoi45I/AAAAAAAADB4/A-5-chqHq8U/w867-h542-no/Untitled.png

This is the older custome rom which I have installed at the moment. S119 version.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Duos, I was wondering if there is any way I can use Google Now on it? Also is there any way to upgrade from my Android version 4.0.4 ?

moniker

Broken In
Anyone knows how to swap internal and external SD cards in kitkat? I've been keeping myself busy looking for it all over XDA but can't find a solution. :cry:

You have found the only thread which even I was following up on XDA.... but seems that forum is not as active as ours. Anyways, you asked for the content of the rom 7z file. Find it below

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6794OvUJXnE/Uu4vbNoi45I/AAAAAAAADB4/A-5-chqHq8U/w867-h542-no/Untitled.png

This is the older custome rom which I have installed at the moment. S119 version.

Recovery.img is ur twrp :cool:;)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Duos, I was wondering if there is any way I can use Google Now on it? Also is there any way to upgrade from my Android version 4.0.4 ?

U can use cajunflavoredbob's port...;)
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747224

Galaxy s duos has extensive support at Xda...
*forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_Duos/GT-S7562

PS: I am a developer at xda;)

Innocent Lies

Broken In
U can use cajunflavoredbob's port...;)
[DEAD][MOD][ICS] Google Now for ICS -Updated for Multi-Language (4 Feb 13) [DEAD] - xda-developers

Galaxy s duos has extensive support at Xda...
Samsung Galaxy S Duos/GT-S7562 - XDA-Developers

PS: I am a developer at xda;)

Thanks! I'm completely new to Custom ROMs etc. so how safe is it?

BTW what is your answer for the second question? Can I upgrade to stock android higher than 4.0.4?

BTW what is your answer for the second question? Can I upgrade to stock android higher than 4.0.4?

I would say 99% safe, there is infinitesimally small chance of going wrong...

About the update thing...
If any developer has built for ur phone, yeah...
Search the Xda forum ;)

Minion

Conversation Architect

If you are out of warranty then try it but before flasing anything make a backup of current rom with clockworkmod to be safe.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
hey guys i need help

i have a xolo q700 with 4.2 rom

at home i use home wifi to surf net on phone, now it is unlimited plan so not worried about usage,

but when i am on move, i use pay per usage plan, means it is charged on the basis of data i use, i want to only facebook and Whastapp to use internet when i am on move,

but when on wifi, all apps should get connection, and on mobile data only facebook and watsapp should get access to net, is this possible, if yes how can i do it, so my bill does not run high..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
hey guys i need help

i have a xolo q700 with 4.2 rom

at home i use home wifi to surf net on phone, now it is unlimited plan so not worried about usage,

but when i am on move, i use pay per usage plan, means it is charged on the basis of data i use, i want to only facebook and Whastapp to use internet when i am on move,

but when on wifi, all apps should get connection, and on mobile data only facebook and watsapp should get access to net, is this possible, if yes how can i do it, so my bill does not run high..

Yes, you can block all the rest apps with use of a firewall. I use DroidWall, and it works absolutely fine. But it requires root privileges. Some firewall apps claim to work without root privileges, but usually don't work. You may try your luck with them if your phone isn't rooted.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
thanks,

what i want is that

on wifi, full access to net to all apps

but on mobile data - only facebook and watsapp should have have access

is it possible

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
thanks,

what i want is that

is it possible

You can go onto data usage and tick on restrict background data... Repeat for each app.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
thanks,

what i want is that

is it possible

Yes, that is possible.

In the app I suggested, there is separate option to restrict data usage for a particular while on data or on wifi. So, you just gotta restrict them over data, and you're good to go.

You can go onto data usage and tick on restrict background data... Repeat for each app.

It will not serve his purpose. He just wants to limit data usage while on network data, not while being on wifi.

Top Bottom