[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
What is a bootloader?

I got an Asus Memo Pad Smart 10 (ME301T) Tab runing 4.2.1 and came across this on XDA about rooting it - Motochopper
My device is listed there as confirmed working. What i want to know is what is a bootloader and should it be locked or unlocked?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
What is a bootloader?

I got an Asus Memo Pad Smart 10 (ME301T) Tab runing 4.2.1 and came across this on XDA about rooting it - Motochopper
My device is listed there as confirmed working. What i want to know is what is a bootloader and should it be locked or unlocked?

Bootloader is the thing which allows you to select which OS to load before it loads. Kind of like multi OS boot options that you get if you have installed Ubuntu and Windows on your PC.

Bootloader needs to be unlocked before you can install any custom ROM. Read more here: What Is Bootloader And How To Unlock Bootloader On Android Phones [Complete Guide]

chetanrawool

Right off the assembly line
hi folks, i got iball slide 3g7334 tab. it came with lots of preloded apps which i dont want, so can anyone tell me how to root that devise safely!

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Bootloader is the thing which allows you to select which OS to load before it loads. Kind of like multi OS boot options that you get if you have installed Ubuntu and Windows on your PC.

Bootloader needs to be unlocked before you can install any custom ROM. Read more here: What Is Bootloader And How To Unlock Bootloader On Android Phones [Complete Guide]

I am not looking to install any custom ROM. there is no official custom ROM available for this particular device. There is however a KiKat Compatibility Pack for this, after which you can install other custom ROMs (CM11 nightly, OmniROM). I dont want to take a risk with that. Just want root to unlock more features and hopefully OC the Tegra 3. Does it OC good?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
anybody using GEL (google experience launcher)?

Can you help me add shortcuts to various settings (like apps, etc) to the home screen? this was possible on GB.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
anybody using GEL (google experience launcher)?

Can you help me add shortcuts to various settings (like apps, etc) to the home screen? this was possible on GB.

You can't
However there is an xposed module for it though

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am not looking to install any custom ROM. there is no official custom ROM available for this particular device. There is however a KiKat Compatibility Pack for this, after which you can install other custom ROMs (CM11 nightly, OmniROM). I dont want to take a risk with that. Just want root to unlock more features and hopefully OC the Tegra 3. Does it OC good?

If you don't want to take a risk, do nothing.
Specially OC. Since that's a big risk.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Seems like i messed up big time with my phone.
was trying to install SlimKat custom ROM on my galaxy s gt i9000m. this one
had earlier installed this kernel, which went fine. got rooted and did a backup with CWM.

i had followed these instructions. went well till step 4, when i flashed the ROM in step 5, a semaphore splash screen got displayed, and was like that for more than an hour. got worried and rebooted my phone (long press power). again installed the kernel. now its stuck at the Galaxy S splash screen.

Any way to recover my phone or did i just hard brick it?

- - - Updated - - -

Since it was only a soft brick, was able to flash back to stock kernel and ROM through here.
got scared when my phone wouldn't reboot. but i knew the risks going in. won't mind trying again:-D
what i can tell was that the kernel didnt match the ROM i was going to flash, or could be something else, idk.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i have a Free Whatsapp plan from uninor. So i have restricted all background data. so i only open Whatsapp, and it uses free data, no other app uses data in background..

however, the OS itself uses data in background and it cannot be stopped.

can i stop all other data, including data by OS, by installing droidwall after rooting and whitelisting only whatsapp? i only want whatsapp to use mobile data. and allow other apps to use data only on wifi..

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Its working!!

White listed only whatsapp in mobile data.. Now no charge!

Android os is not using data anymore!!

Btw, do i need any other antivirus for root??

Top Bottom