FAQ and Help for Freshers In IT/Govt jobs

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
They do get a lot of benefits from the government in return for those taxes, not like in India where most of the tax money is used to help politicians and ministers lead a luxurious life.
taxes in USA are a much more serious & complicated matter than in India.there is a saying in USA that death & taxes are the only 2 things from which no one can escape.IRS(internal revenue service) is the most feared govt institution in USA(if you are a regular watcher of hollywood shows/movies you probably know this) & not without reason.it can empty/withdraw from your bank accounts(that's right) if it wishes without your permission to recover dues even if you don't agree & want to go to court.people actually hire professionals to fill their tax returns because even a single mistake in filling tax returns can prove very costly in USA.

P.S.btw Al Capone,the most notorious gangster in US history,was brought down not by police or FBI but by IRS.

Last edited:
OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Any Oracle/DBA/DWH aspirants in TDF , awaiting joining date as freshers, or looking for more elaborate scope of learning can post queries.

tkin

Back to school!!
Any Oracle/DBA/DWH aspirants in TDF , awaiting joining date as freshers, or looking for more elaborate scope of learning can post queries.
Most of the projects I did in college was with Oracle, I have an IBM oracle certification(given by third party, IBM Licensed training center), also another J2EE+Oracle certification(from a not so known center, IETE), I also did projects with DB2, and had developed shopping portal, library management websites using both oracle and db2, so, what scopes do I have?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I want to go to db field. Frankly, dev is not my thing, I'm not much good at it. So wanted some alternative, and db is something I feel "easy" and doing like. Networking was another, but I've scrapped it as of now. (or may be not :? ) I know a bit of Oracle/SQL though. (mainly Oracle 11g).

tkin

Back to school!!
I wanted to go to db field. Frankly, dev is not my thing, I'm not much good at it. So wanted some alternative, and db is something I feel "easy" and doing like. Networking was another, but I've scrapped it as of now. (or may be not :? ) I know a bit of Oracle/SQL though. (mainly Oracle 11g).
Yeah man, oracle is easy, programming is like a breeze on oracle :D :D

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I wanted to go to db field. Frankly, dev is not my thing, I'm not much good at it. So wanted some alternative, and db is something I feel "easy" and doing like. Networking was another, but I've scrapped it as of now. (or may be not :? ) I know a bit of Oracle/SQL though. (mainly Oracle 11g).

What do you mean by this? How do you think DEV team is working without DB? Its not something seperate. Any DBA must go thorugh intensive and critical development and pl/sql coding in all levels of business throughout his career. A DBA is THE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, and by that it literally means, HE KNOWS FRIGGIN EVERYTHING!! IN THAT GOD DAMN DATABASE....starting from its session paramters, architectural tierings, background processes, to every bit of DB objects, their cardinalities, dependencies, access previleges, DB Links....and million more things....and on top of all things....a massive knowledge base of Glamourous coding and Performance Tuning. ...Performanace Tuning is such a thing which actually defines and seperates a Developer from a DBA ...it also means that first you should...no you must become an Oracle Developer to Become an Oracle DBA. I'm not an DBA, I have client recognition from British Telecom for tuning 30 different cross-platoform interdependent legacy applications. Still i'm not even near a DBA. In out total project here with more than 1500 total employee strength, we have only 4 DBA...so are u getting my point? :D...but just because i am not, doesnt mean u cant become a DBA....but never fear dev though....welcome to *

Most of the projects I did in college was with Oracle, I have an IBM oracle certification(given by third party, IBM Licensed training center), also another J2EE+Oracle certification(from a not so known center, IETE), I also did projects with DB2, and had developed shopping portal, library management websites using both oracle and db2, so, what scopes do I have?

Well for a start, you are ahead with +2 with that IBM Oracle Certification, that will help your moving up ( only when u'll be known as a Oracle Resource ). Orcale is typcially vast application area, it has nearly acquired every good COTS product and companies like IFLEX or SUN, they have the the largest business bas next to IBM and TerraData in terms of Business Intelligence, also Oracle CRM (customer relationship management) and its integrity with Siebel is unrivaled in Telecom Indsutry, then there are Orcale Apps, DWH, Oracle BI, Oracle BRM and like million more interfaces with which oracle sync seamlessly and provides end to end soultions to client-server environments across all platforms across the world. So if you are not upto scripting, Oracle is the way to go...JAVa on the other hand has its perks adn ever updating...so its also addictive...but me being a Oralce Resource....will vouch for the same. DB2 has somewhat restricted applications, but equally challenging and robust applications, manily Mainframing and Data Mining applications are mosly designed and optimized for DB2, since its an IBM thing, it has its own IBMer..OrthoDox taint in it...nevertheless its unimaginably powerful, even in some aspects, more powerful than Oracle, SQLserver MySQL....well...the IBM we see here in sector V is not the International Business Machine we should know about. If Scientists and Research Scolers of Old times are still alive and rocking... IBM is the one place to find them....IBM is the place to rule them all. I met one 21 Years Exp IBM Database Architect once...and he was like....dwelling in an region beyond my limits of thought, above some gray clouds of some Dark mountain ...unseeable, untouchable..seemed like he doesnt perish with time, doesnt wither with technology...like an Ancient Guardian of Database...godly.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
What do you mean by this? How do you think DEV team is working without DB? Its not something seperate. Any DBA must go thorugh intensive and critical development and pl/sql coding in all levels of business throughout his career. A DBA is THE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, and by that it literally means, HE KNOWS FRIGGIN EVERYTHING!! IN THAT GOD DAMN DATABASE....starting from its session paramters, architectural tierings, background processes, to every bit of DB objects, their cardinalities, dependencies, access previleges, DB Links....and million more things....and on top of all things....a massive knowledge base of Glamourous coding and Performance Tuning. ...Performanace Tuning is such a thing which actually defines and seperates a Developer from a DBA ...it also means that first you should...no you must become an Oracle Developer to Become an Oracle DBA. I'm not an DBA, I have client recognition from British Telecom for tuning 30 different cross-platoform interdependent legacy applications. Still i'm not even near a DBA. In out total project here with more than 1500 total employee strength, we have only 4 DBA...so are u getting my point? :D...but just because i am not, doesnt mean u cant become a DBA....but never fear dev though....welcome to *

Well for a start, you are ahead with +2 with that IBM Oracle Certification, that will help your moving up ( only when u'll be known as a Oracle Resource ). Orcale is typcially vast application area, it has nearly acquired every good COTS product and companies like IFLEX or SUN, they have the the largest business bas next to IBM and TerraData in terms of Business Intelligence, also Oracle CRM (customer relationship management) and its integrity with Siebel is unrivaled in Telecom Indsutry, then there are Orcale Apps, DWH, Oracle BI, Oracle BRM and like million more interfaces with which oracle sync seamlessly and provides end to end soultions to client-server environments across all platforms across the world. So if you are not upto scripting, Oracle is the way to go...JAVa on the other hand has its perks adn ever updating...so its also addictive...but me being a Oralce Resource....will vouch for the same. DB2 has somewhat restricted applications, but equally challenging and robust applications, manily Mainframing and Data Mining applications are mosly designed and optimized for DB2, since its an IBM thing, it has its own IBMer..OrthoDox taint in it...nevertheless its unimaginably powerful, even in some aspects, more powerful than Oracle, SQLserver MySQL....well...the IBM we see here in sector V is not the International Business Machine we should know about. If Scientists and Research Scolers of Old times are still alive and rocking... IBM is the one place to find them....IBM is the place to rule them all. I met one 21 Years Exp IBM Database Architect once...and he was like....dwelling in an region beyond my limits of thought, above some gray clouds of some Dark mountain ...unseeable, untouchable..seemed like he doesnt perish with time, doesnt wither with technology...like an Ancient Guardian of Database...godly.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway thanks for the heads up, anyway how much does DBAs get paid? And typically how long does it take to become one? :noob_question:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Yeah man, oracle is easy, programming is like a breeze on oracle :D :D

Yeah, still I did the query question wrong in GATE. :(

Firstly, apologies for a spell mistake;

I wanted to go to db field.

want*

I don't fear dev, but don't want to make it as a main stream career, rather would prefer DB or networking. And have very well idea of what a DBA is and it's responsibilities; which even I lure of. I'm no where near a DB dev as of now, but surely would want to (if at all I "land" in pvt sector).

Performance tuning or should I better call it as query optimisation, is something too high level for me now. Also, there are hardly any jobs for freshers with DB profile (at least what I see now-a-days).

.....well...the IBM we see here in sector V is not the International Business Machine we should know about. If Scientists and Research Scolers of Old times are still alive and rocking... IBM is the one place to find them....IBM is the place to rule them all. I met one 21 Years Exp IBM Database Architect once...and he was like....dwelling in an region beyond my limits of thought, above some gray clouds of some Dark mountain ...unseeable, untouchable..seemed like he doesnt perish with time, doesnt wither with technology...like an Ancient Guardian of Database...godly.

:pray:

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway thanks for the heads up, anyway how much does DBAs get paid? And typically how long does it take to become one? :noob_question:

Two most obvious and relevant questions...

Average DBA can earn 12-26 Lacs P.A even more depending upon employer and Responsibility. It can take as long as 10-15 years or may be 5-6 year to become one, depends upon one's own talent and interest.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I feel, 5-6 years dedicated in DB field should be required for a person to be of DBA level. But as you said, personal talent/interest/hard work may increase/decrease it. But 5 is min.

tkin

Back to school!!
Two most obvious and relevant questions...

Average DBA can earn 12-26 Lacs P.A even more depending upon employer and Responsibility. It can take as long as 10-15 years or may be 5-6 year to become one, depends upon one's own talent and interest.
:eeek:

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
One DBA ~= 10 Orcale Dev...in quantitative frame. Of course he does not do dev job

One DBA Fail ~= 3 Hours Server block and Outage ~= 2 Million Dollars Revenue Loss... Personal Experiecne

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Any Sharepoint Resource in TDF? can anyone tell me about the exposure and scope of it against other equivalent products. I need both for freshers and people who are exped but new to Sharepoint.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if you are looking for prospect of job related to sharepoint, then my friend it is currently earning some high $$ in India.
But for freshers i have no idea.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Well, Actually there is some scope in Sharepoint in my current employer at onshore...and they are trying to impose that same job to some random guy with little or no exp even in web programming or basic HTML (to cut short the expense of hiring o course ), so it kinda sucks, so i am looking forward to expand it and find one of my own so that i can refer that guy...may be some fresher will get interested. Thanks for the info :)

Top Bottom