English as the primary language in India?? Read Inside

Wat's ur opinion??

• Yes, I want English as the only official language in India

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No, I like the current system

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • No, Remove English,Hindi and other languages and make my state language as primary language in India

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

satinder

DELHIITE
Irony is Americans like to speak Spanish more and prefer it over english.
European countries use own languages.
Even South America is not uses all in English.

Similarly people from all states of India prefer local languages more.
All are comfortable in local languages only.

Hindi / English etc is used in Delhi or other states in Govt Offices.
Earlier Urdu was also a state / Govt language.

With time everything changes.
But traditions change very slowly.

Mother don't need a language to speak to her new born baby.
It is understanding that works between two individuals.
We can speak with sign languages also.

Some languages are still in codes in different types of businesses.

Remember your code words in your classroom / or when you are with your friends.

Computer /Mobile / gadgets have so many languages that are made according to get understanding between each other / machine / people.

It is about people and their requirements / boundaries of various kinds decide
when & where,
what to speak.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
nah where
I try to read Hindi and Marathi newspapers, so that I can stay in touch with the languages learnt in school. Cannot read my own mothertongue.
But disappointed that in these regional language newspapers, every third word used is an english word spelled out in the regional language... ambassador, president, chargesheet, "prince of wales", news, press, media, producer, director, movie, actress are common examples - you cannot even write or read in a regional language properly any more because of english. The shortforms are english shortforms, so like बीसीसीआय .

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
nah where
I try to read Hindi and Marathi newspapers, so that I can stay in touch with the languages learnt in school. Cannot read my own mothertongue.
But disappointed that in these regional language newspapers, every third word used is an english word spelled out in the regional language... ambassador, president, chargesheet, "prince of wales", news, press, media, producer, director, movie, actress are common examples - you cannot even write or read in a regional language properly any more because of english. The shortforms are english shortforms, so like बीसीसीआय .

Just like "YOG" is now YOG-AAA
Buddh is "Buddh-AAA"

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
While comparing only english and hindi. I would say that English should only remain a language to communicate at international level that's all.
Being easy to learn is not the only criteria of a good and rich language.

English is quite limited in it's pronunciation capacities. Most of the things cannot even be spoken correctly in english. There is always going to be limitation with 26 primary alphabets only.

Hindi on the contrary is a rich language. With it you won't find yourself in a situation where you can't even pronounce the words correctly 99% of times.
A language also limit your creative potential. If we only Compare between hindi and english. For eg: english songs can never match the sound and vowel range that hindi songs have.

So, conclusively I would say that english must remain a communication language at international level only. While for all other things including creativity hindi should be considered.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Most of the regional languages in south have "AA" sound in the end of words.Yoga and Buddha is how we say it.

Because they are heavily influenced by English.. moreover, YOG , Krishn (aaa) and others are primarily Sanskrit word.. sometime I wonder..
who took what ..

Like "SATAN" is English word, while "Shaitan" its literal meaning which is more HINDUSTANI than Hindi as it came from urdu, which is again more influenced from Arabic.

- - - Updated - - -

While comparing only english and hindi. I would say that English should only remain a language to communicate at international level that's all.
Being easy to learn is not the only criteria of a good and rich language.

English is quite limited in it's pronunciation capacities. Most of the things cannot even be spoken correctly in english. There is always going to be limitation with 26 primary alphabets only.

Hindi on the contrary is a rich language. With it you won't find yourself in a situation where you can't even pronounce the words correctly 99% of times.
A language also limit your creative potential. If we only Compare between hindi and english. For eg: english songs can never match the sound and vowel range that hindi songs have.

So, conclusively I would say that english must remain a communication language at international level only. While for all other things including creativity hindi should be considered.

Your every statement is true apart of the one where you say English is easy to learn, it is not an easy to learn language. It is just we are so much used to it.

Last edited:

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Because they are heavily influenced by English.. moreover, YOG , Krishn (aaa) and others are primarily Sanskrit word.. sometime I wonder..
who took what ..

Like "SATAN" is English word, while "Shaitan" its literal meaning which is more HINDUSTANI than Hindi as it came from urdu, which is again more influenced from Arabic.

South Indian languages are not influenced by English.What makes you believe that ? We use English words in our conversation but that does not alter/influenced the pronunciation of words of the local language. "Krishna" is how is it is pronounced in Sanskrit but "Krishn" in Hindi. Since both Sanskrit and Hindi use the same devanagari script,they are spelled same but pronounced differently. Also Hindi is more complicated than English,you can consult a linguist. REDHOTIRON2004 is right.English is easy compared to many other languages.

Gollum

Collector
I believe, in schools, English should be made compulsory and rest of the languages as optional. let them learn what they like or leave it.
I would rather suggest adding a foreign language in the mix like German, french or Japanese.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
South Indian languages are not influenced by English.What makes you believe that ? We use English words in our conversation but that does not alter/influenced the pronunciation of words of the local language. "Krishna" is how is it is pronounced in Sanskrit but "Krishn" in Hindi. Since both Sanskrit and Hindi use the same devanagari script,they are spelled same but pronounced differently. Also Hindi is more complicated than English,you can consult a linguist. REDHOTIRON2004 is right.English is easy compared to many other languages.

First of all, Hindi is not complicated language, its a mature language while English is not, ask your linguist. And when you talk about Sanskrit, its not "A" strictly, they are "ah" , which still makes it incorrect.

Besides, whether you agree or not, my personal observation is that more you learn english, more pollution you get in native language.

But, irony is that because of English we are discussing here otherwise, like Chinese (where they have their own chinese only sites and boards) we would have isolated internet of HINDI, TAMIL, TELUGU etc.. within India itself.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Besides, whether you agree or not, my personal observation is that more you learn english, more pollution you get in native language.

How is it pollution ? Languages import words and get changed.

Old English is different than current spoken english.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
First of all, Hindi is not complicated language, its a mature language while English is not, ask your linguist. And when you talk about Sanskrit, its not "A" strictly, they are "ah" , which still makes it incorrect.

But, irony is that because of English we are discussing here otherwise, like Chinese (where they have their own chinese only sites and boards) we would have isolated internet of HINDI, TAMIL, TELUGU etc.. within India itself.

I stand by statement.Hindi is harder to learn than English.I din't say anything maturity of language.A native speaker will obliviously believes his native language is easy to learn.At the end of the day languages are nothing but means to communicate.A mere tool.There is no point spending money to compulsorily teach Hindi to Non-hindi speaking folks when they are already learning English.No need to consult a linguist for this.

Languages adapt/derive words from other languages.It is how languages evolve.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I A native speaker will obliviously believes his native language is easy to learn.At the end of the day languages are nothing but means to communicate.
Well, I can't find the link to the research paper I had gone through about this topic about a year back.. so my statement was not just because I FEEL it.

Well.. to make you feel good.. "Yes English is Easy to Learn" .. with its lots of confusion and arbitrary assumptions.

I lost it :) and I am changing my statement.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
sure languages incorporate words. But you have to draw the line at complete transliteration.
*i.imgur.com/fuWcLK2.jpg

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman

I won't term it as pollution. Rather I would say that, the main reason for english to become international is because it have the ability to adapt and isn't rigid on the things that can or cannot be added in its vocabulary.

English is able to change its accent, merge, add or delete various words according to the speaking habits of the native people to such an extent that it's words are often used more as they are easier to remember/recall rather than the native language of people.

That doesn't mean that other languages are bad. But, the main reason for any language to become popular/international is to have the ability to adapt with time, regionals and customs. For eg: Hindi is now often reffered to as Hinglish when it comes to technology. I don't see that as a bad thing because it increases the acceptability and competitiveness of preferred language.

From pure academic point of view, it's not a good thing. But, from a broader perspective, we live in a global village connected through internet. Everything is coming together and common standards are being developed.

Things that don't change with time perish in the dust of time and get forgotten. Similarity, the languages that won't be able to adapt and change would get forgotten and ultimately perish. And between all those chaos Hinglish won't be the one to perish.

Gollum

Collector
First of all, Hindi is not complicated language, its a mature language while English is not, ask your linguist.

I agree with this post.
Surely its not easy but it is what makes indians more intelligent/smart as there is a huge culture influence in the language.
elements to incorporate respect to elders and so on.

That's just my opinion. If you don't like it you do not need to hate me. :)

I would also like to point out, that unlike native speakers of English, almost every Indian knows more than one language.

reminds me of that meme : If he struggles to speak in English, he probably knows another language too.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Btw, just to remind everyone, English is popular because of British imperialism worldwide, not because its easy. They had colonies in half of the world which comprised around quarter area of the globe at their peak. Historical Atlas of the British Empire

Yet, as I changed my statement.. "English is easy to learn language" because Britishers had imposed it on quarter of the globe during their colonization :D ..

Top Bottom