Electic Shock in Cabinet and WD Hard Drive not found in BIOS.

chethanr

Broken In
Hi friends. I assembled a new computer. I switched on computer and then tried to install Windows 7 using CD. It did partition of the new HDD and trying to install OS. After it completed 25%, generated error that it is unable to find some system file. I tried again and this time some other system file is missing. I have again tried and now it is unable to find Hard Disc to install OS. Then I tried checking BIOS and it couldn't find HDD. I tried to trace HDD 5 times via BIOS and once it is able to locate HDD. But unable to locate it during OS installation. Tried changing HDD cable, reassembling and also swapped CD ROm and HDD cables. It detects CD ROm but not HDD.

Also, I have noticed electric shock when I touch cabinet. Everything is brand new except MB and CPU (it was in working condition). I'm afraid my HDD is dead. Is it normal that in general cabinet conducts some sort of current or is that only if some computer part is not working properly.

I found that the earthing of my house is not proper and it(earthing pit) was removed/vanished as it is old house. Is there is any electrical product which can be used or I have to ask electrician to look into it. Or can I connect the earth pin to ground myself.

Last edited:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
From what you have posted it looks like the Earthing for your Home does not exist. This will result in not only shocks from Cabinet but also from every other electrical appliance. It costs around Rs. 500-600 to re-do earthing of the house and it lasts for 5-8 Years. So do it ASAP. No earthing is a serious thing and may result in serious shocks. So do not waste time and get the earthing done TODAY itself. This is not a thing that can be postponed or worried about budget and all.

OP
C

chethanr

Broken In
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
Motherboard: GigaByte GA- EP45C-DS3R
Graphics Card: GigaByte Nx62tc256db
Monitor: Dell IN2030M
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)
DRW: Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive (Black)
RAM: Transcend DDR3-1333/PC3-10600 DDR3 2 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-2G)

malcolm_cg

Broken In
fix your earthing & you might just fix everything if you havent busted some of your hardware already. earthing is very important for pc (electronic & electrical appliances also). i have seen weird things happen to my pc once without earthing. earthing even helps in voltage stabilization i guess.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
I had the same issue when I touch the Corner of My Cabinet . Just tell the Electrician to Give EARTHING in the Room in which you PC is.

OP
C

chethanr

Broken In
I did the earthing myself. Just bought a wire and connected the socket third pin and then other end to the earth pole outside my house which was installed when the house was built. That did the trick. I have consulted local electricians before doing so to cross check if Im doing right and they said connect third pin to grounding rod. :) it was simple. Now no shock problem. Then I found that there is another green wire which runs through out the house via all the points. I connected the earth wire to that also. That green wire is actually grounded to another earthing pit. :)

But the issue is that my hard disc acts weird. Today again I tried to install OS (Windows 7 ultimate). This time I kept HDD outside cabinet and it was detected and i'm able to proceed till partition and able to do partition as well. Then when I select any partition and click on next. Error: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" . The whole process took 3 + hours. By that time the hard disc was extremely hot. I tried to shut down and tried to rum computer and this time HDD is not being detected. I'm frustrated with this. I wonder why my hard disc heats up like frying pan. I am thinking of taking hard disc to local pc service and ask him to install windows and then plug it to my computer. I think its the best way.

It looks like hard disc is dead.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Just give your hard drive for RMA. Its getting hot, you said it yourself. Trying to force install isn't going to help, especially if something happens and screws up.

I still would get it done properly by a technically. There was a time I was advising someone it turned out that he needed to change the plug and cut the part of that wire and use the fresh copper wiring.

OP
C

chethanr

Broken In
How do I go about RMA. I ordered this hard disc from FlipCart and it is "WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)".

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
How do I go about RMA. I ordered this hard disc from FlipCart and it is "WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)".

How old is your drive? It seems some sectors of your hdd are corrupted and files aren't getting written properly. Yes prolonged exposure to leakage earth currents leads to component damage and your hdd might have been affected by this.

Rma is the only option if under warranty. You'll get a new hdd.

OP
C

chethanr

Broken In
I bought this on June 4, 2012.

I have one question. Now I have everything assembled, if I remove this hard disc and plug in another hard disc which was working in other computer (as it is). Will everything works straight away? What i want to ask is, can v interchange the hard disc of any other computer? Do we have to re-install OS if we move hard disc from one computer to another.

What I have done is I took HDD to local PC service and asked him to format it and install OS in it. So I could then plug it to my CPU and start working. Is it possible? He said it may work and u may have to install some drivers.

Also is it is must to activate/verify Windows installation using registration key? What will happen if we never verify it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I moved your post from the Flipkart thread into a new thread - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-rma-watch/159787-wd-hard-disk-rma-query.html

Top Bottom