DSLR Dilemma......

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I am using is superb lens...and its selling used for around 15k and new 22k ...btw I have bought after using 18-55 for 2 years

its always said that 1st learn to use a lens then if u find something lacking then get new one or upgrade :D buzurgo ne kahan hai :D

Im going with you. Will get new Lens only after a year. The Mirchi snaps on Flickr ,did you use prime Lens?

sujoyp

Grand Master
This is newbie question. So what is zoom actually ? is it the amount of magnification or simply dividing max & min length of the lens ?

Will a subject at 200 mm on a 50-200 mm lens (4x zoom) appear to be at same distance from the camera as on a 25-200 mm lens at 200mm (8x zoom) ?

Lets take the case of HX300v ...it have a focal length of 24-1200mm and they claim it have 50x optical zoom ...soo how did they calculate 1200/24 = 50 :D
no its not magnification...our magnification starts from almost 50mm which is focal length of eye...but 50mm of full frame dslr and not cropped sensor one like ours...
In our case it will be around 35mm (1.5x crop factor for nikon) ....soo if I have a lens of 350mm ...I can claim a magnification of 10x

but if I have a 18-200 lens its 11.11x zoom range and not magnification .....18mm-35mm is wider then our eyes with no magnification but subject seems furthur away...magnification start from 35mm onwards.

The Mirchi snaps on Flickr ,did you use prime Lens?

no its taken with Tamron 17-50 2.8 ...but taken at f14

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
no its not magnification...our magnification starts from almost 50mm which is focal length of eye...but 50mm of full frame dslr and not cropped sensor one like ours...
In our case it will be around 35mm (1.5x crop factor for nikon) ....soo if I have a lens of 350mm ...I can claim a magnification of 10x

but if I have a 18-200 lens its 11.11x zoom range and not magnification .....18mm-35mm is wider then our eyes with no magnification but subject seems furthur away...magnification start from 35mm onwards.

Not sure If I understand everything there. Not simple as it sounds.
So Zoom != magnification & the amount of maginification will depend on the focal length of the lens.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok I will attempt once more :) will avoid complicated terms

what you see is 50mm that is when you take a shot at 50mm it will look almost like what you see with your eyes...if you want to magnify a thing then you have to increase the focal length ...soo if you take a shot at 150mm the subject is theoritically magnified 3 times or 3x

but below 50mm wider area is captured. soo if you shoot from 18mm to 50mm then you capture wider then your eye can see but nothing is magnified...

there is no term as x zoom in DSLR world...just for understanding we call it like that...if sony HX300 have 24-1200 and call it 50x then to compare to it if I have 10-500 mm range of lens I too will have 50x zoom :D but actually 10-50mm is not magnification

what we call zoom lens in dslr world is something having variable or changeable focal length ...its not related to magnification...a 10-20mm lens is also a zoom lens
other is fixed focal length or prime lens like 50mm

Dr. House

No Regrets
Which one of the camera has feature to take shots in between video recording and the ability to put effect at the time of shooting video or photo, Nikon D5100 or Canon 600D?

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The 600D can take shots in between video recording.

And ofcourse you can include effects while shooting Photos,its called Creative Filters.

Dr. House

No Regrets
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens - Canon: Flipkart.com
Is this Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 has aperture control ring similar to Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G lens?

As in Nikkor difference of manual aperture on the D lens and none on the G the aperture is set by camera. What is in this Canon lenses?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
wait wait you have mixed up all things...

Nikon G lens and canon lenses dont have an aperture control ring.

Nikon D lens have aperture control ring.

Actually canon changed from FD mount to EF mount in 90's ...but nikon didnt changed for last 40 yrs soo you get those old aperture ring lenses for nikon but none for canon :)

you can get a FD lens adapter for canon and fit in all FD lenses

Dr. House

No Regrets
Sorry! Nikkor D lens has aperture control ring and is of half price of G lens? So I guess having aperture control ring is inferior old feature for photo shooting.
Does these canon to nikkor or FD to EF like adapters makes any difference in photo quality?
Does these sharp 50mm f/1.8 lenses makes any diffidence in video quality too?

sujoyp

Grand Master
no its not true that old lenses are poor in quality or aperture ring is not worth...aperture ring is very useful when you use extension tube for macro shooting or use reversal lens for macro shooting ...or you club 2-3 lens togather for some purpose :D

Also you will always need aperture ring if u are using manual adapters...a adapter with chip will cost a lot...no pic quality is not effected but ability to focus on infinity is lost...specially bad for landscapes.

I have manual extension tube, reverse mount adapter..soo I have tried to mount a 50mm inverted on a 18-55 :D

Dr. House

No Regrets
So you mean to say if I want to use aperture ring in Canon 600D. I need to get FX 50mm f/1.8 lens with an adapter.
Please answer my other ques mentioned above. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
all 50mm 1.8 in nikon and canon are FX lenses...FD mount was different and discontinued.

If you want aperture ring on canon you have to use FD mount canon 50mm 1.8 with adapter.

yes 50mm lens helps in video...but if you go for canon you can just buy the canon lens with STM which is said to be developed for video in mind.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry! Nikkor D lens has aperture control ring and is of half price of G lens? So I guess having aperture control ring is inferior old feature for photo shooting.
It's cheaper not because of having aperture ring in it, it's because of no focus motor in it. :)

Dr. House

No Regrets
What is the advantage of inbuilt focus motor in canon 600d body unlike nikon d5100? I guess for focus motoring nikon 5100d is depended upon lenses like G or D. Canon is not dependable as it has inbuilt.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Canon 600D or any other Canon DSLR have NO in body focus motor. But all the Canon lenses do have focus motor in it. On the other hand, Nikon D90 and above do have in body focus motor. Other than few, most of the Nikkor lenses do have focus motor in it.

Top Bottom