DSLR Dilemma......

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ That was too good to ignore. The discount was not on MRP. After discount D5100's deal was better than ebay deal (after applying coupon) + extra 16gb memory card, tripod, blah, blah... And you get your camera right away, don't have to wait for the shipment.

Dr. House

No Regrets
^ That was too good to ignore. The discount was not on MRP. After discount D5100's deal was better than ebay deal (after applying coupon) + extra 16gb memory card, tripod, blah, blah... And you get your camera right away, don't have to wait for the shipment.

What where? :shock:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ We were talking about last year offer. So the suggestion to check out the local stores.

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
You have missed two deals.I dont now why you miss them all the time. Its better you settle down with the D5100 or otherwise even that will be gone, EOS 600D with 18-55mm is around or over Rs 30K everywhere now!

Just the EOS 600D body is retailing at Rs 25650 after coupons.

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
I doidn't understand one thing, why do people more praise about Canon 600D's video quality as it has no auto focus but manual focus but Nikon has auto focus but no manual. :?

And what is the answer by nikkor for canon's STM lenses?

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Manual Auto Focus lets you have precise details over Auto focus and makes no noise. In my 600D for AF in Video ,all I do is half press the shutter button thats it.The STM lens is better in all scenarios in AF to noise. The quality of the captured video and sharpness is definitely better in the EOS600D over a Nikon 5100 any given day. Now the problem arises when you shoot moving subjects ....Kids...!I have done an A/B comarison myself.But Yes Canons AF is slower to a Nikon marginally. For me shooting Video by a DSLR is non significant,so no matter how good the Canon is it is anon point for me atleast.If Video is one of the priorities get the EOS700D with STM lens for way faster AF in Videos.

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
If I buy 40mm STM lens for 600D after sometime, how much would it be different in quality compare to 700D with STM?

sujoyp

Grand Master
STM lens is basically for video...but they can be a good portrait lens too...and I heard that both 600D and 700D have same sensor ...soo quality will be same

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Im afraid the 600D and 700D differ in the sensor department. The EOS650/700D have Hybrid sensors which uses both contrast and phase to Auto focus hence its much quicker over the Contrast detecting sensor of the 600D. If you use the STM lens for the EOS600D you wont benefit at all in faster AF but from the low noise, better build quality and a no jerk AF . AF speed will remain the same as with other or non STM Canon Lens. Only the 650/700D/70D benefits from the STM in the faster AF department.

But Image quality wise, yes, EOS 550/600/650/700 D are all the same.

sujoyp

Grand Master
u are talking about focus module or sensor ....yup focus module is different...but picture quality will be same as sensor was same

Canon 700D vs Canon 600D « NEW CAMERA

nikon D5200 have awesome sensor...and very good performance...rather then 700D you can get D5200

Dr. House

No Regrets
Im afraid the 600D and 700D differ in the sensor department. The EOS650/700D have Hybrid sensors which uses both contrast and phase to Auto focus hence its much quicker over the Contrast detecting sensor of the 600D. If you use the STM lens for the EOS600D you wont benefit at all in faster AF but from the low noise, better build quality and a no jerk AF . AF speed will remain the same as with other or non STM Canon Lens. Only the 650/700D/70D benefits from the STM in the faster AF department.

But Image quality wise, yes, EOS 550/600/650/700 D are all the same.

If I do manual focus in videos with STM on 600D. Shall I get same video quality as in 700D manual focus mode?

Guys don't forget price difference between 700D and 600D with 18-55 kit is of 24k!! :|
If I use STM lens on 600D what actually benifit I will get in video making as you said picture quality would remain same?

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
u are talking about focus module or sensor ....yup focus module is different...but picture quality will be same as sensor was same

Canon 700D vs Canon 600D « NEW CAMERA

nikon D5200 have awesome sensor...and very good performance...rather then 700D you can get D5200

Im talking about the sensor.

This is made possible by Canon's 'Hybrid CMOS' sensor that includes pixels dedicated to phase detection autofocus. The Hybrid AF system uses these to quickly set the lens to roughly the correct distance, then uses contrast detection AF to fine-tune focus. In theory, this should provide faster and more certain focusing for live view and video shooting compared to Canon models which rely on CDAF alone. You can read a more detailed explanation of this technology and see it in action on the AF performance page of this review.
Link Canon EOS 700D/Rebel T5i In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

Moreover for D5200 video Dp reviews wrote.....

While the camera's video specs are impressive, there are a couple of disappointments. If you want to record at 1080 50i or 60i, you should know that this involves a crop of the sensor area which is then upsampled to 1920 x 1080, resulting in noticeably soft results with tell-tale upsampling artifacts. On a pixel level we found the default out-of-camera video files to be a bit soft but, to be fair, the D5200 delivers files that can withstand relatively aggressive sharpening in post-production, resulting in crisp-looking video.lay

But for image Quality D5200 is great no doubt desite the same Sony 24.2 sensor from D3200. @ Sujoy considering that fact aint it better to buy the D3200 over the D5200 as image quality should be same?

If I do manual focus in videos with STM on 600D. Shall I get same video quality as in 700D manual focus mode?

Guys don't forget price difference between 700D and 600D with 18-55 kit is of 24k!! :|
If I use STM lens on 600D what actually benifit I will get in video making as you said picture quality would remain same?

picture quality will improve marginally as the optics are slightly better in the STM lens,but AF focus speed will remain the same for that you need the hybrid CMOS of the 650/700 with the STM to work or compliment each other.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
As Inci mentioned, STM lenses do better with cameras like 100D and above (only the latest release - less than a handful of models)

If you are stressing more on video, I think you should also consider Sony SLT. They are much better than Canon and Nikon in this regard.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Ok ...but I always knew that canon is much better in video then Nikon...there is not even a faint doubt in my mind :D

D5200 and D3200 have different sensor.... also D5200 have 39 point AF system and metering system of D7000 which is superb...it have articulated screen...and can shoot 5fps burst...

Nikon D5200 review | Digital slrs/hybrids Reviews | TechRadar

Nikon D5200 versus competition - DxOMark

@house ....if you use stm lens on 600D the benefit you will get is silent lens motor...soo no sound of lens autofocussing in video...if u use it in manual focus then I dont see any advantage at all...

Top Bottom