Do you pretend to be a theist (Christian/Hindu/Muslim etc)??

Are you an Atheist pretending to be a Believer in God?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to know if i was the only one...Cuz i belong to a very very strict and obnoxiously orthodox Christian society where even our State laws are drafted by church elders (Mizoram).
Sale & Consumption of Liquor is prohibited because the church elders said so..however Mizoram is the Cancer capital of India with highest Cancer per capita due to excessive consumption of tobbaco products, cuz , well, the Bible doesnt mention anything about tobacco >_<
Railway project is on halt since 1980s because Mizo people are afraid that the "Indians" will "pollute" the State with Hinduism and Islam..
One cant have a legitimate Christian marriage if the couples are not virgins (I thought freedom of marriage was a Constitutional Right)..since there is no way to test a guy's virginity, so any couple who have eloped or have parented a child, cant marry inside the church.
Compulsory biblical teachings in academic institutions. "If you are a non-Christian well then screw you, u can leave our State"..WTF

Now i didnt write all those to rant and ***** about my people and my State, but to emphasize on how much Christianity influences my society. If you say "Jesus was not born on 25th December" (true fact) you will be looked down upon like a spawn of devil.
Being a doubter and skeptic of religion (see i am even scared to type the Ath**st word) it is very very very difficult to function in a sane manner. Everybody around me are complete religious zealots, from the most corrupt politician to the lowest criminal, none will hear any of it if you speak blasphemously about G.O.D... So i am forced to live the way my people want me to and BELIEVE IN THE THINGS MY PEOPLE WANT ME TO

Is there anyone other than me stuck in this horrible situation?
What can i do to live and survive in this environment?
Do i spend the rest of my life pretending? Being a fake person..with a fake persona??

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Pretty much my family never forced anything like that. My colleagues get surprised if I ever tell them that I don't believe in God. Not that I preach on the top of my lungs but few friends do come to know about it/

ratul

█████████████████
Just wanted to know if i was the only one...Cuz i belong to a very very strict and obnoxiously orthodox Christian society where even our State laws are drafted by church elders (Mizoram).
Sale & Consumption of Liquor is prohibited because the church elders said so..however Mizoram is the Cancer capital of India with highest Cancer per capita due to excessive consumption of tobbaco products, cuz , well, the Bible doesnt mention anything about tobacco >_<
Railway project is on halt since 1980s because Mizo people are afraid that the "Indians" will "pollute" the State with Hinduism and Islam..
One cant have a legitimate Christian marriage if the couples are not virgins (I thought freedom of marriage was a Constitutional Right)..since there is no way to test a guy's virginity, so any couple who have eloped or have parented a child, cant marry inside the church.
Compulsory biblical teachings in academic institutions. "If you are a non-Christian well then screw you, u can leave our State"..WTF

Now i didnt write all those to rant and ***** about my people and my State, but to emphasize on how much Christianity influences my society. If you say "Jesus was not born on 25th December" (true fact) you will be looked down upon like a spawn of devil.
Being a doubter and skeptic of religion (see i am even scared to type the Ath**st word) it is very very very difficult to function in a sane manner. Everybody around me are complete religious zealots, from the most corrupt politician to the lowest criminal, none will hear any of it if you speak blasphemously about G.O.D... So i am forced to live the way my people want me to and BELIEVE IN THE THINGS MY PEOPLE WANT ME TO

Is there anyone other than me stuck in this horrible situation?
What can i do to live and survive in this environment?
Do i spend the rest of my life pretending? Being a fake person..with a fake persona??

hmm, your's is somewhat extreme case, but in india, every atheist has to somewhere or the other has to pretend to be a theist, my family condemns me for being an atheist, but i just continue to be an atheist.. :p But yeah, if your whole place is so strict, i don't think you can do much other than continuing what you are doing, theists cannot be preached to be an atheist, they are too blind.. :-(

TheHumanBot

Padawan
I don't believe in naming gods, believe in creator of the universe one soul power.
my parents never forced me to adopt/follow religion or believe in it. I'm a Humanity Follower. :p
Atheist are nothing but cocky bast ards! :lol: (why bast ard is censored :|)

you just don't try/stop to make them understand what you believe. and blindly keep doing what they want you to do thats what i do when needed.

flyingcow

Shibe
oh damn..you are stuck in a bad place my friendo..
if i was you i would leave the place for studies/job as suggested by skrmish above..
i am an atheist, my parents sometimes force upon me the idea of god etc, but i stand for whhat i believe in rather than blindly following the concept of god and reliegon..i would never "fake" a persona, because its not who i am..gud lux wid ur phuture mi m8

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
When i was around the age of 10,I remember once going to temple with my family.
I,that day,wasnt interested in any thing,so i looked up and saw the sun setting at dusk and clouds,felt really nice.
Then the bell rang,but i didnt notice at all.
Suddenly a hand appeared from behind as i felt pain and warmth on my ear.
"Pray"
He said.
k.
My parents know i dont believe in God but sometimes i use the k. attitude to make them happy.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I pretend to be a hindu...just cause its our social necessity ... If I dont go to hindu marrige , dont go to mundans, dont go to hindu engagement , dont go to hindu gruhapravesh, dont go to durga puja, dont go to ganpati puja , dont celebrate diwali, dussera then I am almost left alone in society ....My parents never forced me to follow any thing...nor I follow anything ....but its out of social behavior.. I will touch old men's feet , give blessings to younger kids , give rakhi gift to sister, give diwali presents to my parents ...

Its ok that I dont keep any upaas whole year, not I go to temples every saturday or once a month ....but that does not mean I dont admire our social structure or the culture ...

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I pretend to be a hindu...just cause its our social necessity ... If I dont go to hindu marrige , dont go to mundans, dont go to hindu engagement , dont go to hindu gruhapravesh, dont go to durga puja, dont go to ganpati puja , dont celebrate diwali, dussera then I am almost left alone in society ....My parents never forced me to follow any thing...nor I follow anything ....but its out of social behavior.. I will touch old men's feet , give blessings to younger kids , give rakhi gift to sister, give diwali presents to my parents ...

Its ok that I dont keep any upaas whole year, not I go to temples every saturday or once a month ....but that does not mean I dont admire our social structure or the culture ...

What is upaas?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
just show them this and tell that you refuse to blindly follow the fiction that someone wrote ages ago.

*bobbiblogger.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/god.jpg

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Best option for you, drift away.. get a job somewhere else like bangalore or if you are about to go to college, get a college in a different state
Besides im sure there are people in your community that feel the same way as you do.. make different friends ?
I have seen your blog, you are a pretty talented guy.. im sure you will figure out what to do.. good luck !

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
*fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-0/10487474_739906319394769_1735315758901790217_n.jpg

Hrishi

While I was born in a brahmin family wherein family members follow religion strictly , I do not follow it.
I don't beleive in any particular religion , and neither follow any.
I have my own way of beleiving in god. For me God is a form of energy , a power which holds things together . I have not given it any form. I simply pray or try to imagine about it , and feel good being a part of it.
Other than than I dont allow anyone to enforce anything on me .
At times I get confronted by hardcore religion fans...in arguments but I mostly dont take part in it. I sinply wall away.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I openly tell many people that I am an atheist.I don't really understand the need of spending thousands of rupees on a pooja?Seriously like 10k,50k or even a lakh?Thinking that will actually benefit you?Instead we should use that money and feed the poor.
Some times I laugh when I hear some of the lame beliefs,Like if the woman fasts her husband will have a long life.
Indians belief the most

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah spending huge amount on pooja is really waste ...originally pooja was performed and the prasad was feed to poor brahmins....but now its a show off and spending lakhs on it is not at all necessary
I belive originally all rituals have some science or good motive behind...but we can not update the relegion....we can just ignore the outdated ones
believing animals like tiger,lion,peocock,snake,cow,bull,owl,rat,pig,elephant as gods helped to conserve them

ashs1

Padawan

This pretty much sums up my situation. Good post ! :)

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
telling that youre atheist,in public isnt a good idea.As ive seen both believers and atheists hate each other.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I am not a hardcore religion follower but not also atheist. It's all about having "faith" in someone/something.

I also respect every religion and bow down my head at every religious institution be it a temple, mosque, church or whatever.

PS: I belong from a brahmin family who are known for strict following of culture. If an "empty" packet of non-veg item touches me, I'll have to take bath before anything else :p

Top Bottom