Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I don't want to vote for any of them

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess I have already explained. Please read my previous posts. Every law/act acts as a deterrent, and judging by the numbers this is a highly successful one. Why change for the sake of 10% people for their imaginary fear of harassment, potentially endangering the other 90%?
Dunno but I think regardless of what 377 says, a rape remains a rape. Doesn't matter how the intercourse was performed. If there was no consent, it is a rape.

What I think 377 does is, it also criminalises certain sex practices, example, the popular one which doesn't lead to pregnancy, because it is against the order of nature.

Am I wrong?

Yep, Skud's arguments seem sensible
The act does not seem to be used to prosecute the LGBT community
If it goes away, under what section will the examples he gave tried under? The fallout of repealing would be decriminalising bestiality, without even the advantage of making the LGBT community more acceptable. The wording of the modified section would in any case be similar to the current section
We can come up with a new law against bestiality.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Anorion,just because a wrong law is not used does not make that law any more right.if you had read previous posts you would understood it.just an amendment of section 377 to make exception for LGBT/straight people is enough without removing the whole section.also it is a matter of principle & not just some minor bedroom inconvenience.what consenting LGBT/straight adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is not the business of courts/govt unless it threatens safety of others.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
got that, the amendment in 2009 clarified that what consenting adults do does not come under ambit of 377. the 2013 judgment said it was not up to the court to decide on the exception. this may be a step backward, or just delayed realization that what the court did was unconstitutional (amending, not deliberately making it criminal again).
still, have to think how much that particular section is responsible for lack of acceptance and prosecution of the LGBT community in the first place. from what Skud posted, it looks like it was an obscure, rarely used section, where it was used only for sexual perversions (the buffalo nostril thingy).
not talking about police using it to blackmail members of the LGBT community, which is another crime, but actual judgments where consenting adults were convicted under that section.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
like i said it is about principle.sure LGBTs will not get acceptance of society but at least in terms of law they will get it.as of now according to law LGBTs normal bedroom activities are not equal to straight people normal bedroom activities meaning LGBTs=/=straight people.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
got that, the amendment in 2009 clarified that what consenting adults do does not come under ambit of 377. the 2013 judgment said it was not up to the court to decide on the exception. this may be a step backward, or just delayed realization that what the court did was unconstitutional (amending, not deliberately making it criminal again).
still, have to think how much that particular section is responsible for lack of acceptance and prosecution of the LGBT community in the first place. from what Skud posted, it looks like it was an obscure, rarely used section, where it was used only for sexual perversions (the buffalo nostril thingy).
not talking about police using it to blackmail members of the LGBT community, which is another crime, but actual judgments where consenting adults were convicted under that section.

Small correction, it was not an amendment, only the judgement/decision/clarification of the court, which doesn't constitute as an amendment of act, but merely as an interpretation of the act. The parliament was supposed to carry out the amendment which it didn't. Questions should be asked to Kapil Sibal & Co., why they were sleeping all these years. Also to the NGO and other related people. Its the media/politicians/defendants/supporters which are making it look like the law was changed and now brought back to its original form, which is hardly the case. HC interpreted in one way, SC the other.

Another example, SC's judgement some 2-3 years back, that pre-marital sex is not a statutory offence. Again, this is nothing but a judgement/interpretation of existing law, no act has been amended afaik which make it explicitly legal to have pre-marital sex. However, in case of a dispute, this judgement can be used as a defense. What SC's recent judgement has done, it has taken away one line of defense from LGBT against perceived offenses which the NGO has failed to prove even exists in the society.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^ Completely agree with AK. It's a dream come true if that really happens. I suppose the people of Delhi now know whom to vote for if the election is done again.

Found this comic cover..lol
*www.rajcomics.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/RCKA-0021-H.jpg

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
After the 377 ruling of SC every possible political party expressed their stand on it. I found BJP rather quite on this issue. Had to do a google search to know what they actually mean.

And this is what they had to say about 377,

BJP has decided to oppose any move to nullify Supreme Court's order re-criminalizing consensual sex among consenting adults, dealing a huge setback to any move to scrap or dilute Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

"Gay sex is not natural and we cannot support something which is unnatural," said BJP chief Rajnath Singh putting an end to his party's equivocation over the issue which had held out the hope that the principal opposition may not hinder government's plan to organize relief for the LGBT community in the aftermath of SC's controversial order last Wednesday.
Homosexuality not natural, won't back it: BJP chief - Times Of India

Also,
BJP backs Section 377, says western culture cannot be brought to India
BJP will not support 'unnatural' homosexuality: Rajnath Singh | Firstpost

Hrishi

And now majority of FB pages and posts are filled with this Indian Official who got molested/ill-treated by US officials because she was caught doing something wrong with her maid.
Khursid said - He'll not come back to the House , if he fails to return her dignity.

"Why don't they say the same for Our Beloved soldiers who get beheaded ruthlessly protecting the dignity of our nation and our precious life. ? Not a word for them , "Kadi ninda karte rah jaoge buddho..."
And now a Sudden step to challenge United States , hmmm... seems fishy to me. They can voice against US but not Pakistan.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
That lady was caught doing wrong as per us laws. And they take it seriously. They respect even sweeper also. Hence its not new for them to enforce law no matter who u are. I understand that diplomats have some privileges. But why we forget that many rich Indians still treat house maid and servant as slave. And no I read in newspaper that our government has taken all extra privileges given to us diplomats in India. I mean why u gave extra privileges. Did they ask for it. And as homosexuality is now a crime in India. Does our Indian governments has guts to arrest any homosexual us diplomats ???

Hrishi

That lady was caught doing wrong as per us laws. And they take it seriously. They respect even sweeper also. Hence its not new for them to enforce law no matter who u are. I understand that diplomats have some privileges. But why we forget that many rich Indians still treat house maid and servant as slave. And no I read in newspaper that our government has taken all extra privileges given to us diplomats in India. I mean why u gave extra privileges. Did they ask for it. And as homosexuality is now a crime in India. Does our Indian governments has guts to arrest any homosexual us diplomats ???

How will they find them ? Lol .....

Btw , I am pretty sure this is just showoff . Indian government doesn't have the guts to arrest them. Indian economy is feeding on usa.
The lady somehow has links to the congrezz .

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

Its not that she was arrested,its because she was subjected to this
I must admit that I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, in a hold-up with common criminals and drug addicts were all being imposed upon me despite my incessant assertions of immunity," the email said, according to a source privy to the information
Now,is she one of those "Drug Carriers" or some "terrorist" to be subjected to all this
A full body cavity search is a visual search or manual internal inspection of body cavities for prohibited material such as illegal drugs, money, jewellery, or weapons. This search is different from a strip search as it involves poking fingers or inserting the entire hand into suspect's rectums.

There are two types of BCS — visual and manual.

Visual body cavity search involves checking of body cavities like nostrils, ears, mouth, penis, vagina and rectum with the help of a flashlight. The person undergoing this search needs to regulate the body parts for a proper examination.

Manual search involves body cavities being examined using a finger or the entire hand. However, this type of search is restricted to individuals who either refuse to cooperate with the authorities or when there is a proof of the suspect carrying any of the barred substances.
And SHE IS A F**KING DIPLOMAT.SHE HAS IMMUNITY.EVERY DIPLOMAT HAS IMMUNITY.Some guy used his immunity after he was arrested on a wife-beating charge in Britain
SOURCE1
SOURCE2

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
those who are saying what's the big fuss about this IFS lady incident probably don't know anything about international politics & standing.no matter what the circumstances were it is the manner in which she was arrested & processed which is normally used for hard core criminals & gang members that needs strong protest because if India can't even do this then it should as well ask its diplomats & consulate officials to wear US flag pins for a reminder that who is the real boss.btw i would love to see such treatment meted out to a chinese diplomat but i know that won't happen because China is not India which can be taken so lightly.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Its not that she was arrested,its because she was subjected to this

Now,is she one of those "Drug Carriers" or some "terrorist" to be subjected to all this

And SHE IS A F**KING DIPLOMAT.SHE HAS IMMUNITY.EVERY DIPLOMAT HAS IMMUNITY.Some guy used his immunity after he was arrested on a wife-beating charge in Britain
SOURCE1
SOURCE2

consular immunity, not diplomatic immunity applies in this case, the key difference being arrests and detentions are allowed

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The right way to look at this:

1) Indians are idiots. Always looking for cheap labour everywhere. She probably did do something wrong. Every Indian household has this habit of employing domestic help for cheap and getting all work done from them. She carried this over to USA. May be I can be wrong on this one.

2) She does have some sort of immunity. The manner in which she was treated as unacceptable. So, USA is definitely wrong.

3) Good reaction by India. Showed some balls. Has put USA in its rightful place.

4) The people at fault are (may be) the lady and definitely the US of A.

5) We also very well know how much embassies of all "developed" countries pay to their low-level staff here in India.

Top Bottom