Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I don't want to vote for any of them

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^regarding point no. 1,you indeed are a bit wrong though not entirely.the reason for getting domestic help is that if indian govt start hiring US citizens then spending bill will increase significantly & apparently indian govt is not so rich considering that ministers visits only for a few days but here we are talking about years(of course even a 2% decrease in corruption in FCI should be more than enough to cover this). :) as for wages it is more of a technicality as though indian housemaids get smaller cash in hand but they also get benefits like free accommodation,no worries about power,water bill etc which is quite a benefit in expensive major US cities like New York.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's because she made a deal with US law agencies to help in testifying against her employer.it is something similar to witness protection where in exchange for testifying one is given certain benefits like in this case visa/possible US citizenship to alleged victim of human trafficking & their immediate family members which in this case is maid & her husband & children.quite pathetic in my opinion & then people wonder how US failed to see threat of extremists it created to fight Russians in Afghanistan.it's because state department of US is full of incompetent people.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^regarding point no. 1,you indeed are a bit wrong though not entirely.the reason for getting domestic help is that if indian govt start hiring US citizens then spending bill will increase significantly & apparently indian govt is not so rich considering that ministers visits only for a few days but here we are talking about years(of course even a 2% decrease in corruption in FCI should be more than enough to cover this). :) as for wages it is more of a technicality as though indian housemaids get smaller cash in hand but they also get benefits like free accommodation,no worries about power,water bill etc which is quite a benefit in expensive major US cities like New York.
What I meant was, the normal people in USA don't really hire domestic help. They can't afford, it is expensive just like you said. So they do everything themselves no matter what the problem. Even handle small kids. Baby sitters? They cost a bomb even for people living there.

Somehow an Indian goes there, still feels the need of having a maid! Old habits die hard.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
well according to reasons given apparently diplomats/consulate officials need domestic help so as to better concentrate on their work but then if they were doing such a terrific job then India's foreign policy(& they) wouldn't be in such a mess today.frankly speaking most of the people in IFS are not suited for the job.i am amazed that despite knowing well about US high-handedness in dealing with persons ranging from popular actors like Shahrukh Khan to former president APJ Kalam people in Indian consulate didn't even think twice before bringing domestic help with them when one maid in past sued & even won a million dollar claim against a former Indian diplomat.it is like they said:"even god help those who help themselves".let's hope this incident will put an end to this practice & frankly speaking if a person can't even manage his home without domestic help then i seriously doubt his capability to handle relations between nations.

Hrishi

My question was about govt. Suddenly showing some balls , that too against States , but can't do shite about the problems pakistan creates ???

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Look at the father of the lady blames at domestic help. What I found after reading all newspapers and reports in media that the Lady has definitely done wrong by getting visa on false information for domestic help. Feel very bad that our country man don't behave even when they go abroad.

And anyone know about recent incident in UK where an Indian couple kept few ladies as slaves for many years.. Are we Indians are such evil towards other people life and dignity. Thou I feel bad for the diplomat. But she leaned a good lesson now. Come on face the reality you can not behave abroad the way you behave in India.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Look at the father of the lady blames at domestic help. What I found after reading all newspapers and reports in media that the Lady has definitely done wrong by getting visa on false information for domestic help. Feel very bad that our country man don't behave even when they go abroad.

And anyone know about recent incident in UK where an Indian couple kept few ladies as slaves for many years.. Are we Indians are such evil towards other people life and dignity. Thou I feel bad for the diplomat. But she leaned a good lesson now. Come on face the reality you can not behave abroad the way you behave in India.

Do you know that couple was Maoist?

I also read that said maid was paid Equivalent of Rs.25k P.M which is close to what a fresher gets in a IT company(i'm right about this right?correct me if i am wrong)
Another thing to note that naukars there are paid per hour,and here they are paid per month.

Hrishi

Do you know that couple was Maoist?

I also read that said maid was paid Equivalent of Rs.25k P.M which is close to what a fresher gets in a IT company(i'm right about this right?correct me if i am wrong)
Another thing to note that naukars there are paid per hour,and here they are paid per month.

Not all freshers get that package. Not all.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob

What she did was, she took an Indian worker to the US (using forged(?) Visa papers) and paid her wages below US wage regulations. Doesn't matter if it equates to 25K or 30K INR in India. Going by that logic you would buy a bottle of water for 200 INR there (and cry yourself to sleep every night).
Any IT guy sent onsite receives payment which is at par with what a person having similar position, experience & qualifications would receive in the US. Then it doesn't matter if it equates to 2.5L INR, despite the Indian salary being only 40K. This is the biggest reason why everyone's dying to go onsite. :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
minimum wage is to prevent exploitation of illegal immigrants not persons living in with consulate officials.maid gets less than minimum wage but then she also doesn't have to pay apartment rent(new york is the costliest US city),electricity bill,water bill & food expenses.this is like saying giving a maid a proper room in mumbai(proper not those dingy slum) with free food,power,water & good locality with a salary of Rs.10000/month is bad.

Hrishi

What she did was, she took an Indian worker to the US (using forged(?) Visa papers) and paid her wages below US wage regulations. Doesn't matter if it equates to 25K or 30K INR in India. Going by that logic you would buy a bottle of water for 200 INR there (and cry yourself to sleep every night).
Any IT guy sent onsite receives payment which is at par with what a person having similar position, experience & qualifications would receive in the US. Then it doesn't matter if it equates to 2.5L INR, despite the Indian salary being only 40K. This is the biggest reason why everyone's dying to go onsite. :D

But the cost of living is high too in USA. Way higher. Not to mention the extremely expensive healthcare.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
But the cost of living is high too in USA. Way higher. Not to mention the extremely expensive healthcare.

Exactly. Which is why they have the minimum wage regulation. Go below that and you're done.

minimum wage is to prevent exploitation of illegal immigrants not persons living in with consulate officials.maid gets less than minimum wage but then she also doesn't have to pay apartment rent(new york is the costliest US city),electricity bill,water bill & food expenses.this is like saying giving a maid a proper room in mumbai(proper not those dingy slum) with free food,power,water & good locality with a salary of Rs.10000/month is bad.

But would you pay the maid 10K after allowing her all those amenities?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
The difference between salaries paid to maids in India itself is highly varying. In metros it may range to 5 figure monthly salary, but in tier-3 cities, you may get them for as cheap as 3 figure salary for a month !

Indians, as usual like to save money everywhere.

Hrishi

The difference between salaries paid to maids in India itself is highly varying. In metros it may range to 5 figure monthly salary, but in tier-3 cities, you may get them for as cheap as 3 figure salary for a month !

Indians, as usual like to save money everywhere.
Don't wanna offend some of them around here , but most of Indians have a miser in them. Not saying it's bad or good , but its the truth.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Don't wanna offend some of them around here , but most of Indians have a miser in them. Not saying it's bad or good , but its the truth.

That trend is gradually fading out.

And why would one be offended ? It's all about priorities and satisfaction.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
even if he wasn't this would have become an issue just with a little more delay.the reason being humiliated diplomat is IFS & it is IFS which handles & oversee all foreign relations matters in govt. offices.one of the reasons Durga Shakti issue gained this much attention was because IAS association united to support her.same happened in this case after she emailed her IFS colleagues about strip search & cavity search which really blew the issue.remember in India unions/associations are a powerful force.btw her father is a retired IAS officer.

Top Bottom