• I don't want to vote for any of them

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Firstly, I don't "believe" for believing is done by unscientific minds. There is a difference between "knowing" and "believing". Sun rises from the east is knowing. Its not a belief. Knowing your own body and its ability after a devoted listening can tell whether you can lift heavier weight today or not. Its not a belief. Similarly, there is a science of consciousness where "knowing" comes into the picture.

The sun rises in the East? Yes, a fact in the old world. However, today we know that the sun actually doesn't "rise" it's the spot on earth you're standing at that turns to face the sun, and sunrise is different for everyone. In the circles it rises and sets once in 6 months. Science and exploration taught us that. No one "knows" anything about their body, they "believe". how much weight can you lift right now this very instant? Exact, to the nearest kilo? no one knows these things, which is why we lift some, if it's too heavy we take off some, if it's liftable we try and lift more. Weightlifters go through years of extensive training and keep pushing. There is no absolute, there is no knowing, there is only exploring.

Secondly, I don't claim science of consciousness to be the "best", but totally scientific and "higher" than modern science. The context here of "higher" is not to demean the modern science but simply to present that which is beyond materialism, there is an experience which enables the material world to exist, an experience beyond the limitations of the mind and the senses. Just like senses are "higher" than material world and mind higher than the senses, for it is the senses which percieve the material world and mind which control the senses.

Quote one sentence of mine, where I stated it to be the best. Try to read my posts carefully without connecting it to a totally different context. For some Paneer is best, for another Rajma is best. I can create a new fashion out of my limited wardrobe. The context is different!

As you stated, "higher" implies better, and the way you speak of it implies better. Maybe not best, but it sure sounds like you feel that people who do not follow the vedas, or think of the mind and consciousness differently are illiterate or ignorant.

However the world was here before you came along, and will be here after you depart it. It was here before all humans came along, and will be here after they depart it. Their perception of it does not govern it. This is what the problem is with humanity, this feeling of being special. It's what all religions are based on, you're not ordinary and pointless, you are special... wow, feels good, so it must be right. Human beings are the most narcissistic of creatures around, and want desperately to find a higher purpose and meaning. Is it possible that there exists a consciousness that is on a higher plane or maybe in a different dimension, sure, it’s also possible that God is a green goblin with one testicle and breasts, and is actually a little monster baby and entire universes are just motes in his / her snow globe that is shaken about now and then. And, it’s also equally possible that human beings give themselves too much importance and religion and higher purposes are just tricks the mind plays to prevent people from going nuts and killing themselves. Thus the “faith”. And yes, you have it too.

Then technically you are not an atheist. It seems to me that you do not understand the basic meaning of consciousness.

Let me brief for you since you took the time to discuss. The entire universe is pervading with consciousness. Imagine an infinite ocean with tides all around. Are those tides different from the ocean? Now lets say that those tides have a sense of "I" as well where one tide think I'm rising higher than the rest. The question - Is it because of the tide that it is rising high or perhaps because of the various churning of the forces within the ocean? If you understand the concept of "infinity", then you'd also know that you cannot analyze infinity. You cannot cut it or multiply. There is no way you can create division here. Now try to experience infinity. If you think you can visualize it, then you are lying or ignorant for infinity cannot be visualized either. You can only experience it by surrendering the mind! So who is basically seeing the different categorizations of the world? Who is percieving the colorless sky to be blue in the morning?

The faculties of the mind have a natural tendencies to create these divisions, an illusion of color out of colourless, name out of nameless, form out of formless, manifest out of unmanifest, finite out of infinite etc. You are being called Raaabo because of the sake of convenience put by your mind as well as others. Is it going to change the true essence of your nature if you are called by any other name? If this is temporary (name,form,finite etc), then how are you suppose to understand the nature of the true reality?

There is no such thing as time, but why do we percieve time? Why do during our dreams, we often lose a perception of time and space?

I prefer to classify myself as an atheist, and many atheists I meet are similar. I think you have a narrow view of atheism, and those who only accept what can be proven or measured or seen.

The entire universe isn’t full of consciousness. It may be, it may not be, there is no proof of consciousness other than on Earth for the moment. Anything said more than that is based on faith, and nothing more. Sure you may “believe” that it is so, but sorry, it isn’t fact, just your faith. It’s not even an improper-yet-accepted-fact like the “sun rising in the east”.

The concept of infinity has always existed to all thinking beings. To a man standing on a sea shore, the horizon is an infinite distance. Mathematically you can analyse infinity in a few ways, for example anything divided by infinity = 0. Or anything divided by zero is infinity. Actually not exactly, but for the sake of simplicity an acceptable compromise.

Also, nothing is infinite, which is the beauty of the world around us. It may take “forever” to reach the edges of the galaxy travelling at the speed of a rocket-boosted engine today, but that forever is a number. It can be calculated, if we ever went there. Infinity simply means too long to bother about researching and calculating anymore in everyday life, and undefined/error in mathematics.

As for time, it’s very real. Many people will complain about the time it takes to read these posts. 

Without time there would be stasis, and nothing at all. The very reason anything exists is time, so is time God? There is no higher plane of consciousness needed to understand time. It is then and now and what we assume/hope will be. Someone broke it into seconds and hours and days so we could keep track and have a common reference frame, so we can make appointments or say “two days ago the bad men came and slaughtered our cattle”, or whatever. Today we have refined the art of telling time, where before it was “many moons ago” or maybe in ancient years their way of saying many moons was to say what now translates to a century or a thousand years. We don’t know. It’s common for people to exaggerate. Before infinity, it was “thousands of years”. In fact the yugas people follow themselves are measures of time. And even Bhrama has limited time and dies after a specified time (only to be born again – resurrection is the hook for people in this particular religion).

The problem I have with most ancient texts is that the translator sees what he wants to see.

For example in the Yugas, what was first 4800 years then became 4800 divine years when things didn’t match up. Extensions of time in such a manner seem a little convenient to me, even though I am all for updating science and realising that what we know is only what we know today. However, facts that are provable are just my preferred way of operating.

It’s like the people who call Nostradamus a seer. If anything he was probably inspired by ancient texts to predict events in this way. The use of tongues to veil apparent meanings is still applied by scamsters when you go for tarot card readings, or those who read tea leaves. No one will tell you “You will die tomorrow” because that’s clear and concise. Instead it will be veiled in the form of “Your death will be peaceful and will coincide with the meetings in the heavens of <random name> and <another random name>, but only when the moon is in the ascent…” you get the idea. This is an age old magician’s trick. Distract and dazzle. All religions do this. You will find multiple sites online that will tell you how the Bible is always right, even today, and uses verses to prove even the modern era, and how it’s a problem of our “understanding” of the texts. You will find the same for the Quran, for example, explaining everything that science has found out today. I have no doubt that the “Indians” of that era were more scientific in their observations, and thus were obviously more accurate. I have no problems with many of the sayings, including those which talk about greed, and try and better our lives.

When we talk of the world history we usually ignore the Indian history. Earlier we thought the civilization is 4000 yr old, then 5000 and then 10000 etc.

Watch -> Dwarka, India - 12,000 Year Old City of Lord Krishna Found - *Full* - YouTube

With this discovery, it is being said that if India is explored and scientific techniques like dating used, it can change a perception of the entire world's history. Earlier it was said that everyone believed that earth is flat. Wh proposed such a theory? Did Indians "believed" that also? You have mentioned about cavemen, but did they exist in India also? The Indian history speaks of yuga cycles where currently we in Kaliyug of which 5000 yrs have already been spent. Before this, we have see the dvapar yug- 432000x2 yrs, treta yug - 432000x3 years, satyuga - 432000x4 years.

What we “thought” is perhaps the wrong way to put it. What we “knew for sure” until the discovery of this city is better. There are squabbles over dating of course but certainly 9,500 years, and yes I’ve seen a history channel documentary that wanted to hype it and said 32000 years, and also claimed Krishna was an alien.

Here’s more proof of civilised life older than we previously discovered.
Gobekli Tepe: The World

What is civilised life however? There are cave paintings we know of as old as 40,000 years ago. Humanoid remains have been found all over the globe and carbon date between 7 million years and 2 million years ago. Is it the building of cities that defines civilisation? Is it grouping together and living together? Life’s existed for millions of years on Earth, and the fossils we found prove that. We cannot prove exactly when it started, but the estimates will do for now.

Satyuga is an age which is categorized by men of perfect intellgence, perfect intuition, perfect memory, perfect patience and understanding, perfect body and strength. This deteriorates as yugas deteriorates. Kaliyuga is characterised by men of weak morales, low character, low memory, low intelligence, weak bodies and strength. For this matter, I'm happy that the science of military and warfare has been lost for men in this age cannot control anger or have patience to listen to others and weapons becoming a tool for adharma and evil acts instead of controlling adharma. Before Kaliyug started Veda were passed in oral fashion.

Sorry, but again this is where we diverge. You may call it “knowing” for as long as you want, but there is no physical proof of this. It is “belief”. Sure, we believe that city to be 12000 years old, but carbon dating of the oldest artifacts found will date it at around 9500. Small leaps of faith are possible, sure, like believing that the city found was built and developed for almost 3000 years before it perished – very, very believable. Also believable that there were a bunch of nomads living there 9500 years ago, and say, 2000 years later that developed into a city. But we’d rather “believe” that the city was in fact older, and sure, nothing wrong with that. The truth will lie somewhere close to what the facts can prove anyway.

However, believing that there were “perfect beings” in a time when all fossils and physical proof shows only cave men, or dinosaurs, depending on whether you go with the yuga definition of “years” or “divine years”. Something tells me that there would be some physical evidence of this. There is none. Apparently perfect beings didn’t need shelter from the weather, or the ice age, or anything. Now of course perhaps the weather was perfect, much like the beings, however even that is proven wrong when we look at rock formations, permafrost going back hundreds of thousands of years. Much like counting the rings on the trees and looking at the way in which those rings are formed we can tell what the weather was, the same applies to rock, ice, etc.

Perhaps the more probably explanation is that the ancients themselves after exploring and finding no evidence of life before this, despite knowing that for as long as they could recall, life had existed, decided that the earlier beings must have been perfect in every way, not needing to eat, build cities, etc. Knowing human psychology, looking at our villages and the things they concoct as beliefs, this is perfectly plausible. Take a bunch of children from today, put them in complete isolation away from all technology and other humans, and they will grow up with belief systems of their own. Just as many nomadic tribes and the tribes living in protected parts of Andaman also have beliefs that may or may not match with science and / or any other religion. Sure it’s common for people to realise that when you throw something up, it always comes down. Make a law for that, or call it god’s magnet, or gravity. Yet only modern science can tell you the gravity on the moon, for instance.

It is similar to case where a newborn babies cell regeneration/division is highest and gradually decreases as he grows old. The memory and intelligence (not experience with the external) are highest when he is young and fades into memory loss when he grows old. This is the reason why is it said that you learn faster when you are young. How can we retain that cell regeneration/division, high memory and intelligence? This is a part of Yoga and Ayurveda! Another example can be the flow of water from the mountain peaks to ocean, where it slowly steadily gets polluted and stagnated. But apart from Yugas, it goes beyond to the cyclic nature of time contrary to the linear nature of time as presented by modern science. This cycle does not mean that the same history will repeat. Again the example of an infinite ocean with tides rising and merging can be applied here.

Perfectly fine for a “belief”, no proof exists of this though. Show me one sadhu or human, not in folklore, but in reality, who lived to be 200. All of this perfection must account for something? There are people doing yoga all their lives, vegetarians, praying every day, reading vedas, never hurt a fly, and they live to be what? 110 max? And I agree with cyclic nature, and all that is created will one day be destroyed. That’s just common sense, isn’t it? Nothing lasts forever, moments are but fleeting, what is born must die… there are so many quotes just like that. We know the sun will burn out one day too, and the universe will end a trillion trillion years from now (or tomorrow!). If a caveman who lost his home and family in an earthquake drew “life is a cycle” in pictures, expressing his grief over the loss of his family, but also expressing hope that he would have a new one, how would he do it? How would he show a cycle. He’d draw a rising sun and a setting one, and show death of his family, trying to associate the cycle of night and day. 40,000 years later, would we know what he meant? We can date it sure, but there will be people who will draw conclusions that the cavemen knew! THEY KNEW!!! We’d scream from the rooftops, that even the sun would die one day. What smart people they were! This is the problem with interpretations of ancient languages. 2 + 2 = 4 is universal, but making everything be born from four types of cosmic sounds? Now that string theory is being debated, of course there will be people who will say, hey in ancient Sanskrit, sound wasn’t meant to be “sound” it means just cosmic vibrations, and the playing of the strings of the gods that created the universe. See how that works? Hindsight is 20-20, but for me, sitting and listening to a physicist, using fact and details seems to make sense. Truly intelligent people communicate well, and hide nothing behind double speak. They give examples of how things work, and how that translates to something more complex. Language is the first thing to change when new discoveries are made. The difference between sound and cosmic vibrations would be apparent – we don’t call everything atoms or molecules when we discovered electrons and protons. We didn’t say “smaller atoms” or just call everything small particles. You name something you discover, or even think of. Sci-fi writers called their ideas something. Even if it was the combination of words. Thus you get solar sails, dark matter, anti-matter. We don’t say use the word matter to describe both dark matter and normal matter, we distinguish.

However with all religious texts, that differentiation is done by the reader, sometimes thousands of years later – saying oh he didn’t mean this, he meant that. Sorry, but if the ancients were that brilliant, to figure out all that the rest of humanity has taken thousands of more years to, then they would have said so, and not allowed you to update your belief to include string theory when it came along. What if it had been called satan’s theory, then what would happen to the “cosmic sounds”?

Yoga (perfection), FYI, is not a physical exercise but a concept. Like I have stated before it is applicable to knowledge, surrender of ego-sense, actions, the various asanas whose aim is to further perfect the mind and body unity! If you do not understand meditation, then the next best example I can give is music. The more perfect the technique is, the better is the vessel to contain the flow. Music, as you might know, is presented the best when it is spontaneous or when you don't think much. It just happens when suddenly a chord strikes your empty head and you let it flow. With the technique or the vesself being perfect, it is manifested into the physical world perfectly. This perfection of technique implies the fingers of guitarist to move without his head working. This is called Yoga or perfection.

If the theory of cavemen is discussed, then they exist today also in remote parts and people even in urban areas to be using primitive tools for cooking, cleaning, fixing etc. Perhaps, the fossils of these tools and cavemen will be found some 10000 yrs in the future where people will be discussing that there was an age where the "religion" of modern science was practiced by the "nomads". Try to move beyond the words to the context I'm presenting here.

I agree, everything you talk about is a concept. No harm in that. Even modern science has concepts and theories that people arrive at with mathematical and physical hints, and then set their lives aside to try and prove. Often failing, but sometimes succeeding. As a musician myself I agree, spontaneity is important, it encourages creativity. However it’s also done with rules – so many bars, so many notes, etc. some notes together sound wrong, and that’s why you have chords, some progressions grate your ears, and thus you have scales. There’s still a science to it, and formal training is sought, but still creativity and changing or challenging old theories is encouraged. In the end it’s what do the the people who listen to the music like? Again subjective, because what I like you may love or hate. However, again, even an absolutely untrained musician, just a regular listener of even Indian classical can listen in to me playing guitar and almost always correctly comment – “You made a mistake there right?” Some things just don’t fit. However, playing well requires concentration. The more skillfull the piece being played, the more concentration is required. The brain is more focussed on the finger movements and the picking, and less likely to notice a tomato being hurled at him from the crowd. This is exactly what I mean by not understanding meditation. People say it’s not focus, yet in order to draw your focus away from your surroundings, you need to focus elsewhere, be lost in something, in thought, in introspection. You can sit and just focus on your breathing, for example, but that’s just extreme focus, and biology explains away why you lose sense of everything else. In dreams, you always see faces you have seen somewhere before, no human “creates” a face in a dream. That is not losing oneself in an ocean, it sounds more like some electrical leakage in a PC causing random data of your PC to display on a screen.

Coming back and as I have discussed before, The Indian thought is neither about some religion or god or atheists or theists. It is much beyond these limited and childish taggings, the fancies of an immature mind which people have not graduated from. The Indian thought is neither about the impressions you recieve from the TV shows and serials where the devi-devtas are busy conspiring, marrying and leading a life like that of humans. If you are speaking about secularism, then do understand where, how and why it came into being in Europe.

In order to understand the vedas, don’t I have to believe that Brahma created everything, Vishnu will destroy it all, etc? Isn’t everything put in context with those beliefs? I honestly don’t know because everything I have read thus far says so (which is I am SURE a miniscule fraction of what you have read on the subject). I am the first to claim ignorance of this because it turns me off when the very first words or sentences ask me to make a leap of faith and just “believe” with no facts being provided. Good writing for me lays out facts first, then if necessary asks you to take a leap of faith, all the while explaining why that leap of faith may and may not be right. I like to have all my bases covered. Again I’m not merely a techno junky, so don’t pounce on the example that follows – would you trust a review for the iPhone that said, trust me, it sucks (or trust me, it rocks). Would you automatically assume that since Digit’s an old brand in technology, we know what we’re saying? After you got your hands on the iPhone, would you then automatically start assuming we meant that the camera is bad (or that the battery life is good), etc., as reasons why it sucks (or rocks). Would you automatically trust us implicitly, saying we must have been scientific about our conclusions, because look, here are 30 other phone reviews we got right as well? I hope you get the point I am making, but I can always bring more examples into this.

The Quran speaks about attachment to a name Allah : la ilaha il-alaha, mohammed urrasool allah, whereas the Indian texts speak about nameless : Ekam satviprabahuda vadanti, where the infinite is nameless yet called by various names like brahman, purusha (not purush i.e guy if you think) etc, formless yet manifests into various forms like different waves from the same ocean, where that "ideal ocean" is infinite and its essence, the central binding force, immutable, whereas the waves are finite and mutable some marked with a sense of "I" and some not! To be explicit, I hope you understand the metaphor. Many people I discuss this, esp. atheists, think I'm talking about oceans literally. No wonder, they cannot understand the Indian shrutis.

Again, I haven’t read enough or either – actually I did read the Quran and ignored all of the anti-religion and war passages by understanding that this was written in a time when tribes were fighting for survival, and when believers of other religions were violent. In context, it was a survival strategy. Those who “believe” those verses even today, sadly are the hardliners causing all the trouble across the globe. For example, I find that banning pork – at a time when a lot of people died from eating bad meat was more medicinal than others. Banning alcohol, also was an example of medical reasons, and definitely one the single most unpopular parts of the religion when it began. I am actually shocked it was able to catch on like wildfire with that bit in it. Then there is the bathing to keep clean often, which in ancient times was a terrible problem. In fact life expectancy is doubled at least for people with good hygiene. All religions promote this even today of course, but looking about this country I wonder what happened to following these hygiene clauses!

From the lower/limited perspective of modern science it means, matter and energy (various manifestations) are risen from matter and energy, use matter and energy to exist and become matter and energy during their end. e.g A person (made up of matter and energy), is born from matter and energy, uses matter and energy as food and becomes matter and energy after his death.

Can you say that "Allah is the eaten, the eater and the process of eating"? Is yes, then it would make sense as everything in this universe is matter and energy as per modern science and even matter is energy (Refer Quantum Theory).

If you understand any of the above distinctions, then proceed to this for further details : Theism and Vedas | The Chakra News

Entropy, what’s wrong with it? Matter converts into energy and back again all the time in everyday life. Understanding it is not hard at all, not even thousands of years ago. You eat, you get strength. You don’t you faint. You get hungry you get desperate, but also weaker, eventually you die. Small plants don’t grow in shaded areas, thus the sun is needed – it is needed to create matter, and importantly the fruit I eat. Planting seeds in my cave fails, but in a field with sunlight they prosper. Same with water, stupid plants…. The sun is strange – burns my face if I stand in it for too long, yet when it goes away it’s too cold and dark. In my rock the sun gives light, indirectly, and without the heat of direct sunlight. It is far away, but still burns silently, how strange. The moonlight never burns, no matter how much we bask in it. The fire I build burns also, but makes smoke and noise as well. The sun doesn’t. Thus it proves the sun is far away, and when I see through the trees I can see the sun’s “rays” which must be magical carriers of warmth and light. I had this drink once, Energee, it made me feel active and strong, let’s call it Energy instead (at least their stupid lawyers will not be able to sue me then). I tend to attempt humour sometimes to break the monotony (and fail?), but I suppose you get the drift. That doesn’t equate to E=MC^2. Sure the cavemen could have had a concept of “energy” as did the ancients obviously, but there are limits. They didn’t know about the atomic bomb or matter energy coefficients, they merely stated what they observed and thought of and then extrapolated one view into another. The world was flat, then it changed and became spherical when combined knowledge (from China some say) explained the motion of the stars and the day and night. The earth was the centre, then the sun was. This centre theory was good, it was easily explainable, just tie a rock to string and whirl it and a circle is born. But you are at the centre. Thus god must be at the centre of everything, because the earth is wondrous, and must be the creation of a god. I can create string, a hut, a club, and I can grow fruit, but to create life and the stars and the sun, wow, that must be a supreme being. Thus the stories start, and everyday experiences build and add to the story.

I have read hundreds of links like that. I see really no difference in the fact that “faith” is required. Many will say that all religions believe that there is only ONE true god, which some people in Hinduism also believe – that all the gods are merely the powers of the all-powerful. Nomenclature, as far as I am concerned – just personal opinion of course. Many also believe that the Christ and Krishna story are the same on so many levels that it has to be the same story, just told by different people, and thus the different religions. The more people try and differentiate, the more similarities are found. Even science has similarities to religions – blind belief by the masses for one, and lack of understanding. However, the difference is that popular, everyday, modern science is based on drawn up laws that you and me can experiment and verify. We have no desire to, of course, but we can. Many of us have done chemistry in school, and seen reactions that would be magic to the average villager.

If you understand that, do read Aurobindo's : The secret of Vedas. It is available freely with pdf format. Trust me, you'll laugh yourself at the average understanding of the Indian philosophies which we see in this thread alone which is not even intellectual in nature, let alone being intelligent! Like Zakir Naik speaks in inferior words : "In Islam everything is "God's" (with an apostrophe s, which gives rise to words like theism and atheism, who is actually Abrahamic and not Indian devi or Devta) where as in Hinduism everything is God" (In Hindi it means divya and divya is not the same as God. These devi-devta are the different powers of the infinite, like air/wind, water, intellect, mind, supermind which are called by terminologies like vayu, varuna, indra, Vishnu etc in the Vedas, Shakti and Shiva in the Tantras, purusha and prakriti in the Gita etc . From divya comes the sanskrit offsprings like deva and even Maya is a devi. There is a similar analogy to the Greek philosophy as well).

I will certainly read it when I have time. I am kind of busy as we are expecting a child to be delivered in the next week or so, and thus the on from mobile and random timings of replies – just so the forum guys don’t think I’ve gone crazy with my timings 

I will read the excerpts you have posted for sure though. And I will make my comments, ignorant as they may be.

The word go means both cow and light and in a number of passages evidently meant light even while putting forward the image of the cow. This is clear enough when we have to do with the cows of the sun — the Homeric kine of Helios — and the cows of the Dawn. Psychologically, the physical Light might well be used as a symbol of knowledge and especially of the divine knowledge (Page 43) { i.e cow is the metaphor of light or wisdom/knowledge recieved}

Or it could also mean that both the cow and light help us survive, and thus are sacred. There are still many jumps of faith made in such cases. A greater understanding of something always raises the way in which you look at ancients. You may go to ancient civilisations and see step farming as them understanding gravity, fluid dynamics and more advanced concepts, but maybe they just planted everywhere and found that plantations on natural steps didn’t get washed away. We recreate what works. It happens in villages today as well, where farming techniques that are used in the US are also used here, by illiterates. However practising is not understanding, not always. Even a non-musician can hit a chord by mistake and discover it – without knowing what it is called or why it sounds nice. Even a broken clock is right twice a day…

Indra is invoked as the maker of perfect forms to drink the wine of Soma; drinking he becomes full of ecstasy and a “giver of cows” .... A studys of the Vedic horse led me to the conclusion that go and asva represent the two companion ideas of Light and Energy, Consciousness and Force, which to the Vedic and Vedantic mind were the double or twin aspect of all the activities of existence. (Page 44) {i.e mind is illumined when by the sheer amount of knowledge, the eternal bliss, the truth and thus "giver of cows" by which we can act objectively and wisely }

Smarter people (those with more knowledge) are respected more, and thus also live easier lives. It is thus desirable to gain knowledge. Not rocket science certainly, but very astutely observational.

Agni for the ordinary worshipper may have meant simply the god of the Vedic fire, or it may have meant the principle of Heat and Light in physical Nature, or to the most ignorant it may have meant simply a superhuman personage, one of the many “givers of wealth”, satisfiers of human desire. How suggest to those capable of a deeper conception the psychological functions of the God? The word itself fulfilled that service. For Agni meant the Strong, it meant the Bright, or even Force, Brilliance. So it could easily recall to the initiated, wherever it occurred, the idea of the illumined Energy which builds up the worlds and which exalts man to the Highest, the doer of the great work, the Purohit of the human sacrifice. (Page 56) { i.e Agni is the will power, the force which is one the first devtas who is invoked by Indra i.e mind/itelligence. Obviously this is true in any case. If you want to learn guitar, your mind will automatically increase focus. }

Or that fire is powerful. It can burn your home or an entire forest and kill everything in its path. It is to be respected, thus it is godlike, Agni, much like the sun. The sun is just another fire, but very far away that comes and goes. Fire allows me to see at night, and is thus also productive when controlled. When asleep, if my feet go too close to the flames it burns me and I wake up suddenly from unconscious to consciousness, thus is can also be related to waking up, or intelligence.

This wine of Soma represents, as we have abundant proof in the Veda and especially in the ninth book, a collection of more than a hundred hymns addressed to the deity Soma, the intoxication of the Ananda, the divine delight of being, inflowing upon the mind from the supramental consciousness through the Ritam or Truth. If we accept these interpretations, we can easily translate the hymn into its psychological significance. (Page 74) { i.e The awakening as experienced by the mind, metaphorically written in the form of drinking of soma by Indra. }

It’s great to be alive? Everyday I live I learn something new, thus it must be my purpose, and since each day is brought forward by dawn, and I already associate light with intelligence, and elders seem to have more than the kids based on their experience, I must be drinking in intelligence on a daily basis. It’s so magical, it must be a god who invented the art of learning.

What can these rivers be whose wave is full of Soma wine, full of the ghrta, full of urj, the energy? What are these waters that flow to the goal of the gods’ movement, that establish for man the supreme good?....Obviously these are the waters of the Truth and the Bliss that flow from the supreme ocean. These rivers flow not upon earth, but in heaven; they are prevented by Vritra the Besieger, the Coverer from flowing down upon the earth-consciousness in which we mortals live till Indra, the god-mind, smites the Coverer with his flashing lightnings and cuts out a passage on the summits of that earth-consciousness down which they can flow. Such is the only rational, coherent and sensible explanation of the thought and language of the Vedic sages. (Page 113)

Collective wisdom? Some things still cannot be explained, and the god of wisdom obviously wants us to learn. Just as there are evil people and good people, people I like and those I hate, there must be good gods and evil ones too. Cannot call them gods, but anti-gods, or satan, or whatever word was used back then. The Coverer? Yet some things are eventually learnt. It may take weeks or months or years or centuries, but my grandfather in all his wisdom couldn’t figure out something I now have, Indra must have won the battle with Vritara today to grant me this knowledge.

This matter of the lost herds is only part of a whole system of connected symbols and images. They are recovered by the sacrifice and the fiery god Agni is the flame, the power and the priest of the sacrifice; — by the Word, and Brihaspati is the father of the Word, the Maruts its singers or Brahmas, brahmano marutah, Saraswati its inspiration; — by the Wine, and Soma is the god of the Wine and the Ashwins its seekers, finders, givers, drinkers. The herds are the herds of Light and the Light comes by the Dawn and by the Sun of whom Pushan is a form. Finally, Indra is the head of all these gods, lord of the light, king of the luminous heaven called Swar, — he is, we say, the luminous or divine Mind; into him all the gods enter and take part in his unveiling of the hidden light. We see therefore that there is a perfect appropriateness in the attribution of one and the same victory to these different deities and in Madhuchchhandas’ image of the gods entering into Indra for the stroke against Vala. Nothing has been done at random or in obedience to a confused fluidity of ideas. The Veda is perfect and beautiful in its coherence and its unity. (Page 144)

I don’t know what the lost herds refer to here, so no comment. Perhaps when I get time to read it I will understand this one better. It just seems out of context on its own, and says nothing really to me at least in English.

Vedas : Mind is the chief controller of all the senses, of the breaths in the Human being (inhale, exhale, life breath etc) which we see as "devraj Indra". It is the mind which is always wavering with positive and negative thoughts and yields to the self for the guidance which we see as "Swargaloka always wavering and being attacked by Demons and presided over by devtas and Indra running to Vishnu for guidance".

I like this small passage a lot. Don’t let people get in the way of learning. Always learn, for it is what the gods want. Learning betters you and your life and the city / village so learning is good. Very admirable, and I wish this was followed more instead of whatever it is that we have now that causes so much hatred against questioning of anything. I suppose the “god(s)” had to be brought into this to make it believable and authoritative for the masses, but also stands on its own regardless of religion or gods.

Shiva and Shakti : Where Shakti is the individual jiva (when perceived at human level) always trying to achieve the state of perfect knowledge i.e Shiva which we see in serials loosely as Shakti always trying to seek Shiva and how consciousness continues seeking even after death e.g Sati to Parvati where the desires are part of the nature of the body, but one has to control over those desires or detach from those desires. This Shiva is residing on the top of Mount Kailash which is metaphor of the human body itself and the super-mind, the top of Kailash which is beyond all the dualities of life, where space and time cease to exist, where past, present, future all become one, which are nothing more than the division created or perceived by the mind only.

Meditation? I don’t get this obviously since I haven’t experienced it, but it also seems to point to life after death, which always was a must for any faith to be accepted. Everyone’s afraid of death I suppose, so it makes sense that all faiths offer to keep your soul / mind / consciousness / etc alive for eternity. As an aside, funny how reincarnation theories don’t bring knowledge back with you, or else all these damn idiots running around today must really have been utter oafs in their past lives.

This trend continues in all the quotes. I will prefer to read the site you pointed me to as the best translation, and absorb that rather than what others interpret – as it is the texts are already suffering from too many interpretations and updates over thousands of years.

Like I stated, the Indian thought is neither the Vedic rituals you see these days nor the presentation of Indian TV shows. It is neither some reduction into childish terminologies like theists, atheists, religion etc.

I agree, but it still requires a lot of “faith”.

@Raaabo - The Sun rays take some 8 minutes to reach earth. It simply means that the rays which reach you had left the Sun some 8 minutes in the past. It further means that you are simply viewing the Sun 8 minutes in the past! When you talk to a friend, you are viewing him some nano-seconds (or even lesser) in the past. Entire infrastructure of your body and its individual components follow an order and the reality of Ritam (Universal dharma) . The individual organs understand their own dharma and limitations and work accordingly, so do the celestial bodies, an order within the chaos, where the entire template of your body changes every nanoseconds chemically (billions of atoms inhaled, exhaled, perspired, excretion, drinking, urinating etc), physically (very slow for senses to register), mentally (emotion,wisdom,thoughts, intelligence, analysis etc)! Thus with all these subtle reasonings you are always percieving the external world in the past!

If you think Indian science is "a belief system" with a reasoning that it is archaic and irrelevant, then so has the modern science become a subject of past now the moment you open a science book and read it. Such a "belief" that Indian science is a belief system because it is archaic is only self-destructive!

I have nothing against ancient sciences. I feel it is irrelevant now only because we have all been experiencing the same age old things they have. We have accepted terminology for things now, equations that explain what they observed, and much smarter people. In many ways the studies of ancient sciences might bring new ways of relooking at sciences of today. So be it. I don’t say kill them off, I say they are irrelevant to the majority of humanity. They are in a language no one understands, they are steeped in the religious voices of the age, and they require a lot of blind faith as well. There are very little facts and all theories, which is good as a starting point, but now we have started to prove theories, and this goes beyond faith. No matter which religion you have belonged to, everyone has doubted their blind faith in everything when they study science. This is a good thing, because a scientific mind searches for answers, accepts nothing at face value, and wants to prove how and why, rather than just accept someone else’s supposition of it. This is why we all know Newton’s laws of motion and gravity, and have heard of E=MC^2 but only a few people care about string theory. Theories are good, but they’re now irrelevant to most until proven. I never said “belief” isn’t a part of everything, it is. I just choose to believe what I can see and verify, and look at explanations that involve mathematics and logic, instead of jumping to faith and “trust me” statements. I think many more people are turning that way. If it leads to enlightenment of people, and gaining more knowledge, and understanding the world better, isn’t that a good thing according to vedas themselves?

If science calls something dark energy, I am sure someone will go back to the vedas and find a verse or two to show how it fits in perfectly with theory, however, this just doesn’t cut it for me, because as I said earlier, really enlightened and smart people speak clearly, and take time to explain, and cover all questions. With accumulated knowledge that is tinged with religious overtones that were prevalent in the day, the meanings are being hidden, morphed, misread and interpreted as per one’s desire. This is great for abstract art, but for science, a little less desirable.

Also as for the past and time, anything that’s measurable is acceptable. I will have written this in the past when you read it, yet I am sure you will not agree with it. That logic goes nowhere, because I thought I was the one you were trying to show up as an unbeliever as time passes. Had I written this 1000 years ago would it make it more believable to you? Thus the ancient texts do not turn me off because they are ancient alone, but because they are written for a society that is long dead and gone, and being interpreted by one who knows a lot more now, and is also more creative, and is reading too much importance into them. If knowledge is the ultimate goal, who cares where it comes from. Do I have to accept Indra and Brahma before I can acquire knowledge? If so I have a problem with that. Do I have to accept what they say at face value without questioning? Do I have to read things written vaguely (on purpose or lack of language capability) which some people interpret one way and others another, and then fight till eventually one wins and drowns the other out? That’s religion in a nutshell isn’t it? The world has moved to a fact based one. You shirk you get fired, you don’t earn you starve, you don’t pay your internet bill, you can’t bore forum members with a million word debate, you can’t solve the problem of hypersleep, you can’t go to alpha centauri, you don’t invent a better propulsion system than rockets, you won’t go to mars. This is the world today, and it’s increasingly connected and increasingly fact based. Answers need to be to the point, and not vague. Thus relevance.

I am sure many people will continue their interest in them, and many without an ounce of faith (like me) trying to look at them objectively and in context of when they were written, to get a true understanding of what they meant. As I stated earlier, vagueness is often associated with deep meanings, whereas it’s the reader who is inserting the meanings, not the writer. This is good for stories, but not good for building upon as a science. Also, the more intellectual we tend to think of ourselves as, the more into abstract we seem to go, which is fine, so long as we are able to accept that the abstract, by very definition, is chaos, and thus the thread you’re on may not be the right one. In fact, in all probability, it IS the wrong thread, since the more intellectual you are the more in the abstract you think. For creativity in things like music, this is a good thing. Artists, writers, musicians all yearn to have this quality – however I resent when people take this to be “superior” in every sense. Joe Satriani is my Buddha of guitar, but I am sure he could learn a lot of non-guitaring stuff from me as well.

To assume that any belief explains everything is arrogance, and arrogance leads to the end of learning. That’s why I like the way modern science is set up. It says here is what we’ve found, and here is exactly what we did to find it. If you can prove us wrong we will reward you. We have a billion unanswered questions and a million answered, and all of those answered could be wrong too. Until someone comes along and proves those wrong, we accept it, but we welcome any attempts and will name the new law/equation/theory/finding after you (if proven to a great extent and not contradicted with proof from others with other aspects of looking at the same thing).

That’s something I can follow.

Coming back, Why do I still see an order in this extremely chaotic template of yours? Your senses are the ones which analze the external. The mind is the one which analyzes the message passed on by the senses. On whose direction is the mind working? You buy a car, but the thought originated in the past for it (2 days back or 20 years back) before it materializes in the physical world. What all factors were responsible for such a thought - 'buying a car'? From no where a thought might come about your loved ones and you immediately ring them up. It could be random and it could be a result of various forces of nature external as well as internal acting upon you to accumulate into a thought and then your body, a vessel acts to carry that thought forward? Is it really you who are "doing", or your whole life happens to be dance around different thoughts either random, borrowed or accumulated?

No doubt there are many things not explained even today. Déjà vu, impending peril, blind luck, and a million more things. So be it. I have no doubt that the vedas offer an explanation of everything. Actually, so does every religion. It’s a grand plan, and if you cannot comprehend god, how can you comprehend his reasons. Your kid died? God loved him/her. You failed, got beaten up, had misfortune? It’s God testing your faith. You had something good happen? God rewarded you. Replace God with whatever you want. Indra, Allah, Christ, Buddha, Knowledge, chi flow, dark energy, law of averages… You don’t understand? That’s because God doesn’t want you to, coz you’re not the chosen one, or indra is being blocked by an evil force, or you yourself are to blame because you are a blasphemer by disregarding the teachings of <insert holy text here>.

Everything just fits easily when you take even a small leap of faith. However, when you start using only logic and demanding understanding that can be passed on in simple words, most of these leaps of faith are left languishing. It’s always the fault of the seeker, and never the fault of the texts themselves, or the teacher of the texts.

Now just like flame does not have a definite shape and the perception of its form keeps on changing (flame reducing, increasing, distorting, flickering etc), similarly how can we say that the shape of Sun is "circular"? With its huge flames coming and going, can we even say that the sun has a definite shape? Moreover, does the Sun exist only in the perception of its flames? Its heat can be felt all over to the Earth and beyond. So my question - Is the Sun limited to its flames only or to its heat beyond as well? Once you understand that and move beyond names, forms, shapes etc, you'd understand that the "essence" of the Sun encompasses the entire Solar System.

Similar is the nature of the supreme consciousness which resides within but distorted by its own lower natures and polluted at the level of material consciousness/lowest where the world becomes "asat" (it does not mean false, but illusory in the sense of being impermanent or dynamic) where the sat, the static, the permanent, the real can be achieved and known with the faculties of Yoga! Hence Sagun to Nirgun, the union of Shakti with Shiva. You may read chapter 7 of Bhagvad-Gita on this.

I can see what you’re saying, but I prefer to look at it as the radiation of energy in all directions. The light and heat get weaker the further you go, and the shape of the sun is a spheroid because it is observed so from various angles, and the physics of gravity thus far prove it to be thus. By your logic any shape can be proven to not be that shape. A line is a collection of dots and never perfectly straight… this is what I would call overthinking. What purpose does it serve except to make it akin to a candle, and then take a leap of faith into believing that radiation is an “essence”. Why not just call it radiation, and leave essence as something I put in my milk to give it a vanilla flavour? Why is it that modern science tries to distinguish everything by giving it a new word. What people called birds biology broke into hundreds of thousands of species. Clarity is formed when broken down, perhaps this is why all things faith based want to converge everything into one. The murkier the better, because then it leaves more things open to interpretation. Why not break them down to an atom, and study that atom. You use the example of the river flowing into the ocean, and losing it’s identity, why is that important. It’s taken on faith that this is important, and it then requires another jump of faith to believe that this is the true path to enlightenment. However abstracts haven’t built this world and new civilisation of ours. It’s specifics, and the separating of disciplines. If everyone had to learn everything, and try and live only by the old beliefs, we would have no specialised heart surgeons, and every heart attack would be fatal.

Meditative experiences are personal indeed and hence I gave the analogy of gym and body types (skin, hari texture ,metabolism, habits etc), but the steps remain the same, a journey from "I" to surrender of "I" and merging with the absolute. It is totally different from the experience of a drug addict. Meditation increases mind control, it is based on detachment from material desires in its holistic meaning as attachment shall remain a burden in the initial process of emptying the mind. Whereas, addiction to drugs as based on attachment to material desires/drugs which destroys mind control and brain cells where the lowest perception is further reducd to smithereens giving even a lower false perception/"feeling" .

You took it literally. What I really requested is that you need to discuss only if you have any genuine interest. There are mods in the forum who have quoted some distorted verses of Gita and then claiming on the top of that distortion, that Gita present offending verses. The basic steps or a genuine research would simply seek - Who said the verse and what is the meaning of the verse, Gathering the complete verse as the first step and then verify it from 2-3 different sources as well, if one is ignorant of Sanskrit. You won't really understand anything if you do not have a genuine interest. Just like all the knowledge of technology (or guitar or gymming) will come to if you have a genuine interest, similar the higher science will come to you as well if you have genuine interest.

Again it sounds to me more like losing consciousness (as in passing out and letting your mind run wild). Many marijuana smokers I know report the very same thing. When I went to Nepal last year, and met and spoke to some of the hundreds of Sadhus there, they also reported that it made it easier to meditate. It cleared the mind. I asked them also what meditation was to them, and they all said very personal things. “For me…” actually “Mere liye…” since they all spoke Hindi to me… and that for me starts with an “I”. The very fact that it’s personal, makes it not about anything of global importance, but like any other self-serving experience. I have a detachment from all things material when I sleep, when I focus on something, when I day dream, or even sometimes when I sit about looking into the distance. There are always thoughts there though, and it is my mind at work, so I still do not get this whole idea of wisdom flowing into you. Sure your synaptics firing randomly making a pattern that gives you an aha moment and snaps you out of a dreamy state, definitely, that’s how I get article ideas and headlines, or cover stories.

The whole universe will conspire to make it happen, if you really genuinely want it. Ofcourse you have to act upon it naturally!

So if I don’t believe it to be a higher science, and I am not willing to make leaps of faith I can never experience it? Is it even remotely possible that people will accept the explanation that I offer, which is that perhaps it is just a mind searching for its own superiority, to feel important, to feel a sense of purpose that gives people these feelings – perhaps even delusions. Something like everything seeming to be in slow motion just before you’re about to have an accident. It’s a mind trick, where your brain goes into overdrive, and your focus is heightened in a hurry, which makes you feel like it was slow motion, because you happened to notice a hell of a lot more than you usually do. Thus the noticing of events is increased, but the absorption of events is still normal, and thus it’s like slow motion. Very much like shooting in 60 fps and then watching back in 30.

There is no point in discussing Quran, if you "personally" do not want to discuss it and then use your admin rights to implement the same. Quran is a doctrine. Had it been just another person who had destroyed an unused temple or by Govt procedures, I wouldn't mind. But like I said, research yourself on the history of Iran, Afganistan, Bangladesh, pakistan etc were all places of creativity and now most of their creativity is destroyed! The Doctrine is simple i.e to spread Islam. This includes killing of infidels, people tagged as Jews and Christian, violating women prisoners with an attchment to something called judgement day. You really need to read Quran, I have given you authentic sources with tanslations of three prominent translators and not just another link to some anti-Islamic site. And hence for this reason I had called you ignorant of ground reality. I apologize if it sounds offending. The same pattern exists with the growing number of muslims in France, Britain, US etc. Again, I'm not against people tagged as muslims here but a doctrine that is driving them to demand sharia, behead soldiers (British Royal Guard) for what happened in Afghanistan, Syria, death to US even though US provides large number of jobs to them.

I never claim to side with either Quran or Muslims. I have in fact had a lot of discussions with my muslim friends about the same topics, and even with a few mullahs who bothered to sit down and talk to me when I was younger to answer the same questions I ask here. Although in the end, it ends up being an agreement to disagree, I have only ever received a death threat from one Muslim. I have also received the same from many Christians and two Hindus, so I won’t read too much into that. All I have ever said is there is an inclusive way of discussing things. I called you communal earlier and it upset you, which was the exclusive way. You called me ignorant and other things, those are not inclusive. We are debating because neither did you say science was wrong, and neither did I say the vedas were wrong, we are only debating whether the vedas are a true science and whether they can actually be called a higher science at all. If I would have said all Hindus are evil and the vedas are an evil text that should be burned as it is corrupting the world… well you wouldn’t want to talk to me either. Heck I am sure I would have received at least a death threat or two. My pointing out to you about revealing your identity was to remind you again that perhaps if you treated it as a debate you were really having in a room full of Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs, you would be more careful with “how” you said something, nothing more.

I'm not interested in who ridicules the video of Zakir Naik (Ahmaddiya that you pointed out) but simply in discussing Quran, Allah and Mohammed.

This is something I love about him. He is arrogant for the anti-nationals, but loving for his own people. It is a characteristic a leader needs to have. One who seeks truth is often termed as cold and arrogant. It doesn't mean he has perfectly sought the truth before you raise fingers. I would prefer an arrogant leader who administers well anyday over a robot who seldom speaks, or doesn't know what to speak, take orders from others all the time and when speaks, speaks without any motivation where you have to raise the volume of the TV or concentrate all your energy to your ears to listen him well.

Why not? What’s wrong with adding a fresh perspective to the idea that islam teaches so and so, if some people are saying it doesn’t. It’s unfair to try and confront you purely about idol worship and silly superstitions and say that this is how Hinduism manifests in the majority, thus this is the only Hindusim that matters.

I also wanted a proper clarification. Do you or do you not think that those praying to idols and doing superstitious rituals, and pandits making money of said things are just as bad as what any other religion does in this regard, and is ruining the Hinduism that you believe to be the right path. I only ask because your thoughts about every other religion are very clear to everyone, except the manifestation of so-called Hinduism.

Arrogance is the opposite of the useless figurehead we have now, but to me it seems like extremism either way. Arrogance prevents people from learning, it instills the highest sense of “I” and thus goes against everything you seem to stand for in your quest to enlightenment. For me, the seekers of truth are never arrogant unless the very act of appearing to seek the truth is being done for fame. See Arnab, he doesn’t seek the truth, he merely wants to outshout everyone and make a name for himself. See Lalit Modi, and what arrogance got him. A humble but firm person is what I’d rather have, but I don’t see any right now.

I would recommend you => Srimad Bhagavad-Gita

Read it in your own frame of understanding first without seeing the commentaries. If you can understand high level English, then I would recommend you Aurobindo's translations!

Thanks. I was also reading from that site before this. Will check out Aurobindo when I get some time, but I usually hate reading other’s interpretations of what I can read myself.

Im reading gita! 2/3rd of gita. My mind is too pure now, so plan to watch some porn later.
Most of it is Krishna saying he is the one dude, how those who pray to other gods are unintelligent people indirectly praying to him, an how those who believe in other gods will suffer for multiple lifetimes. At least the punishment for disbelief in certain other faiths does not extend to multiple lives!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I expected that :)

I know it’s your religion, and thus you feel a sense of entitlement towards being able to mock it, but you could have found a more tasteful way of making the same point and also being funny.

- 'Prohibition of worship of any other God except Allah', or doing 'Idol Worship Prohibition'.
- Six Articles of Faith, one of them being the Judgement Day
- Concept of believer and non-believer.
Since god is in everything and everywhere according to the faith you seem to have (correct me if I am wrong), then you could theoretically go into a Mosque or a Church , and it wouldn’t matter whether you were facing mecca or a Christ statue, since they are also made from the same atoms that you are made from, would you be able to say a prayer in your mind, and would this amount to a holy experience?

If yes, then I assume you hold this to be the real faith of India, and thus automatically think it stupid for people of India to demand anything being broken down or demolished for silly religious reasons.

When one dies, or passes on in your faith, what happens to them? Are they not resurrected again, just because they followed the wrong religion? If they are, then why bother, if they aren’t, and come back as frogs, rot in hell, wander about the cosmos as lost souls, etc., what do you care what they believe? So long as they don’t harm anyone and live a decent, peaceful life and help those who need it, does this really matter?

Aren’t they non-believers to you? They certainly don’t believe in what you believe in… Control is attempted by every group eventually, in some form or the other, some are more subtle and pander to your egos to make you believe, some just outright demand it… Such is the way religion works everywhere. There are also open minded people you can talk to and closed-minded extremists who will threaten murder in every religion, and it speaks more about that individual than it does about the religion in my opinion.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Indian history speaks of yuga cycles where currently we in Kaliyug of which 5000 yrs have already been spent.
What was the structure of continents at the time of Mahabharat alone? Or is it our assumption that it was the same as today?
and Mahabharata happened around the time of transition from Dvapar Yuga to Kaliyuga.

So you mean to imply that continents were different 5000 years ago.

hmm, hmmm and hmmmm.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey @mediator, I went through your most coveted posts #87 and #89. I saw no 'question' that you were so desperate to make me answer.
Could you please repeat them?

@MODs/Admins

Can we have two more options in the pole?
new option 1>I want congress but not Rahul Gandhi
new option 2>I want "AAP" (aam admi party) to win nationally and form coalition free govt.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ AAP doesn't stand a chance. Another set of anti-national idiots.

CONgress and that idiot are synonymous.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
My apologies. I didn't mean to bore people! I'll stop the long posts and go back to iPad and BB Z10 sized posts ;)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
b/w, if anyone still cares to answers these questions I would be fortunate.

Who wrote that Veda? who wrote that Upanishada? the Geeta? Can pinpoint the area in map of the then map of land?
After that it would be necessary to show how that knowledge traveled in the land having present day boundary?
Then it would be required to show how many tribes or states were actually practicing the virtues or following the texts mentioned in veda and agreed to it?

Then it would be required to point out how modern day 'bharat' actually got defined? The then land boundary. How much were included with respect to preset day 'bharat' border or excluded?
After its established how the unification happened what did the inhabitants follow as 'religion'? Were all of them as spiritual and knowledgeable as you claim them to be?
If not, what percentage actually followed the concept you mentioned as 'dharma' and 'religion' and how many just followed present day distorted version of 'religion'?

With all the knowledge flowing here on religion and 'Dharma'/Science of consciousness its really necessary for me to set up a timeline to understand the knowledge properly.
Its very likely we ended up explaining things out-of-context. What if our understanding of these texts today are wrong and actually meant something else?
Timeline would help us to
>locate where it was generated,
>by whom?
>What was the social structure at that time
>Could it have effected the texts described in the books?
>What religion was practiced at that time?
>If all the books (if not books but Shruti) were formed or conceptualized at same time?
>If not then separate timeline for each book.

b/w from Mediator's post #232
Supreme Court said:
The court came to the conclusion that the words "Hinduism" or "Hindutva" are not necessarily to be understood and construed narrowly, confined only to the strict Hindu religious practices unrelated to the culture and ethos of the People of India depicting the way of life of the Indian people. Unless the context of a speech indicates a contrary meaning or use, in the abstract, these terms are indicative more of a way of life of the Indian people. Unless the context of a speech indicates a contrary meaning or use, in the abstract, these terms are indicative more of a way of life of the Indian people and are not confined merely to describe persons practicing the Hindu religion as a faith" (Emphasis supplied). This clearly means that, by itself, the word "Hinduism" or "Hindutva" indicates the culture of the people of India as a whole, irrespective of whether they are Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Jews etc. The Supreme Court Bench has further observed that "the mere fact that these words (Hindutva or Hinduism) are used in the speech would not bring in within the prohibition of sub-section (3) or (3A) of Section 123. It may well be that these words are used in the speech to promote secularism and to emphasize the way of life of the Indian people and the Indian culture or ethos, or to criticize the policy of any political party as discriminatory or intolerant. Whether a particular speech in which a reference is made to Hindutva and or Hinduism falls within the prohibition under sub-section (3) or (3A) of Section 123 is therefore a question of fact in each case" (Emphasis supplied).
This means or as I understood, Hinduism means 'Indianness' as the term coined by @mediator. And according to Supreme Court of India this Indianness is includes the way every inhabitant of India lives his/her life. This Indianness not only includes opinion of the persons who practice "Veda", "Upanishada" or "Gita" rather also includes "Quaran", "Hadith", "Bible","Guru Granth Sahib", "Tripitaka", Jain Agamas, the Jewish Bible or Tanakh, 'The Zend Avesta' for the Parsi community and others.

So, its really not possible to compare any religion in particular against "Hinduism". If we go by set theory, How can we compare a subset with a superset?

My apologies. I didn't mean to bore people! I'll stop the long posts and go back to iPad and BB Z10 sized posts ;)

No no, please continue. People who are interested are actually reading your posts.

BJP website said:
Who is a Hindu?

The irony is this ignorance exists while the effete Hindu sits atop a veritable mine of gold: How else is he to galvanise his destiny and improve the lot of his fellow beings if his religion is not practiced? All our teachers have emphasised this, all of us have deified them for this, and yet, all of use are, after our perfunctory salutations to them, guilty of banishing them to the corners. The tragedy of Hinduism is that after its masters have given the call for its renewal, the Hindus have slipped into civilisational entropy.
This kind of clashes @mediator's definition or posts till now.
*www.bjp.org/index.php?option=com_c...defining-movement-in-time&catid=92&Itemid=501
Specially this part(the whole page indeed) which kinda clashes with Supreme Court verdict that was quoted by @mediator earlier
BJP Website said:
Never before has Bharat, the ancient word for the motherland of Hindus - India, been confronted with such an impulse for change. This movement, Hindutva, is changing the very foundations of Bharat and Hindu society the world over.

Hindu society has an unquestionable and proud history of tolerance for other faiths and respect for diversity of spiritual experiences.
*www.bjp.org/index.php?option=com_c...reat-nationalist-ideology&catid=92&Itemid=501
If Hinduism or Hindutva is nothing but anyone who lives in India irrespective of which faith he believes then how do they write "other faiths" here?

b/w The website of BJP does not mention anywhere in its "Privacy policy" if any third party is allowed to quote any part of its contents without prior approval. I hope I've not done any federal crime by doing so here. If the MODs and Admins think my post could bring legal problem to them please delete respective link and posts.

And, SUN for the ignorants
*nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/sunfact.html
Sun Fact Sheet
[Global view of the Sun]
Sun/Earth Comparison
Bulk parameters

Sun Earth Ratio (Sun/Earth)
Mass (1024 kg) 1,988,500. 5.9726 333,000.
GM (x 106 km3/s2) 132,712. 0.3986 333,000.
Volume (1012 km3) 1,412,000. 1.083 1,304,000.
Volumetric mean radius (km) 696,000. 6371. 109.2
Mean density (kg/m3) 1408. 5514. 0.255
Surface gravity (eq.) (m/s2) 274.0 9.78 28.0
Escape velocity (km/s) 617.6 11.19 55.2
Ellipticity 0.00005 0.0034 0.015
Moment of inertia (I/MR2) 0.059 0.3308 0.178
Visual magnitude V(1,0) -26.74 -3.86 -
Absolute magnitude +4.83
Luminosity (1024 J/s) 384.6
Mass conversion rate (106 kg/s) 4300.
Mean energy production (10-3 J/kg) 0.1937
Surface emission (106 J/m2s) 63.29
Spectral type G2 V

Model values at center of Sun:
Central pressure: 2.477 x 1011 bar
Central temperature: 1.571 x 107 K
Central density: 1.622 x 105 kg/m3

Rotational and Orbital parameters

Sun Earth Ratio (Sun/Earth)
Sidereal rotation period (hrs)* 609.12 23.9345 25.449
Obliquity to ecliptic (deg.) 7.25 23.45 0.309
Speed relative to nearby stars (km/s) 19.4

*This is the adopted period at 16 deg. latitude - the actual rotation rate varies with latitude L as:
( 14.37 - 2.33 sin2 L - 1.56 sin4 L ) deg/day
North Pole of Rotation

Right Ascension: 286.13
Declination : 63.87
Reference Date : 1.5 Jan 2000 (JD 2451545.0)

Sun Observational Parameters

Apparent diameter from Earth
At 1 A.U.(seconds of arc) 1919.
Maximum (seconds of arc) 1952.
Minimum (seconds of arc) 1887.
Distance from Earth
Mean (106 km) 149.6
Minimum (106 km) 147.1
Maximum (106 km) 152.1

Solar Magnetic Field

Typical magnetic field strengths for various parts of the Sun

Polar Field: 1 - 2 Gauss
Sunspots: 3000 Gauss
Prominences: 10 - 100 Gauss
Chromospheric plages: 200 Gauss
Bright chromospheric network: 25 Gauss
Ephemeral (unipolar) active regions: 20 Gauss

Solar Atmosphere

Surface Gas Pressure (top of photosphere): 0.868 mb
Pressure at bottom of photosphere (optical depth = 1): 125 mb
Effective temperature: 5778 K
Temperature at top of photosphere: 4400 K
Temperature at bottom of photosphere: 6600 K
Temperature at top of chromosphere: ~30,000 K
Photosphere thickness: ~500 km
Chromosphere thickness: ~2500 km
Sun Spot Cycle: 11.4 yr.

Photosphere Composition:
Major elements: H - 90.965%, He - 8.889%
Minor elements (ppm): O - 774, C - 330, Ne - 112, N - 102
Fe - 43, Mg - 35, Si - 32, S - 15

If no sub- or superscripts appear on this page - for example, if the "Mass" is given in units of "(1024 kg)" - you may want to check the notes on the sub- and superscripts.

bullet Notes on the factsheets - definitions of parameters, units, notes on sub- and superscripts, etc.
bullet Directory to other Planetary Fact Sheets
[NASA Logo]
Author/Curator:
Dr. David R. Williams, dave.williams@nasa.gov
NSSDC, Mail Code 690.1
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD 20771
+1-301-286-1258

NASA Official: Ed Grayzeck, edwin.j.grayzeck@nasa.gov
Last Updated: 01 July 2013, DRW

Last edited:

Hrishi

It may seem Boeing unless one actually reads it ( I do ) . You write well and definitely with an open mind. I appreciate everyone who shares their views.
Please continue.. I didn't meant it that way.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@rhitwick text was new technology for hinduism
These collection of verses existed in oral traditions before they were written down
Some bronze age oral traditions survive to this day
Some traditions predate human speech, let alone texts

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@rhitwick text was new technology for hinduism
These collection of verses existed in oral traditions before they were written down
Some bronze age oral traditions survive to this day
Some traditions predate human speech, let alone texts

I've no problem with them not being available written. I just want to know and set a timeline when did hey cam into existence first.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
I've no problem with them not being available written. I just want to know and set a timeline when did hey cam into existence first.

As do millions, but alas the past is harder to explore than the future even.

Hrishi

To be fair involving political parties like BJP when talking about religion doesn't seems logical . Does it ?? We all know what these political parties have to do with religion.

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Hey @mediator, I went through your most coveted posts #87 and #89. I saw no 'question' that you were so desperate to make me answer.
Could you please repeat them?

@MODs/Admins

Can we have two more options in the pole?
new option 1>I want congress but not Rahul Gandhi
new option 2>I want "AAP" (aam admi party) to win nationally and form coalition free govt.

Congress without Sonia Gandhi would be 5% better :D

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
A lot of people died in Muzzafarnagar, Uttar Pradesh. Rumour is that media is not reporting killing of Hindus :oops:

I am sure people of all faiths have died. Let's stick to condemning such idiocy, or else everyone else will start counting even dead bodies by their religion. Should I start asking how many poor atheists were killed? This is the problem with this country.

As someone who has lived through riots myself and actually seen people kill one another, I can tell you that there is often more than pure and simple religion involved. I know of people who killed / tried to kill competitors in business when riots started. Even suitors for the same girl have attempted similar things. Political goons start these things for power and to raise tempers, and then other goons take over killing off their enemies under the guise of religion. how long are even educated people like us going to keep falling into this trap?

Top Bottom