CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
re: Overclock List & Discussion Thread

Hi..

This might help, OC'ers. Something I put together quickly.

Have broken it into separate process for System, CPU, and RAM.

Hope it help..!

*img185.imageshack.us/img185/6707/drawing1.gif

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ darklord - That's amazing though it was expected from as you have used LN2 with 720BE :p but the super pi result is not that good enough though

Listed you OC's on 1st post

BTW, Should I mark it as stable as there is only superpi 1M test not 32M test.

@ asigh - Nice chart :p added the link on 1st page

Added a little warning part on the 1st post and the percentage of OC increment as requested on PM :p

darklord

Cyborg Agent

@ darklord - That's amazing though it was expected from as you have used LN2 with 720BE :p but the super pi result is not that good enough though

Listed you OC's on 1st post

BTW, Should I mark it as stable as there is only superpi 1M test not 32M test.

@ asigh - Nice chart :p added the link on 1st page

Added a little warning part on the 1st post and the percentage of OC increment as requested on PM :p

Well, I have mentioned that this is the worst AM3 CPU I have.
Also this is not the best score ;-)

Do not consider these as stable because I have used LN2 which is not a practical cooling solution.

amitash

Intel OCer

@top gear my oc is actually approx 51% (50.6%) not 53% as stock speed of i7-920 is 2.66Ghz not 2.60Ghz...And im on water btw

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ darklord - That's why I have not tagged it as stable. BTW, removed stable tag from all LN2 cooled cpu's as it not a practical cooling solution.

@ amitash- corrected that and tagged your OC as water cooled :p

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

If the stock speed is 3Ghz , if we OC to 3.4 with same Vcore then there will be any temperature increase ??

the huge difference or little ??

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

If the stock speed is 3Ghz , if we OC to 3.4 with same Vcore then there will be any temperature increase ??

the huge difference or little ??

There is no relation to CPU speed to vCore to temperatures. It varies chip to chip, system to system. One has to experiment, and get the feel of the system.

For example, till I was pushing in 1.2V my system used to stay below 34-35C, post that it shoots up past 42-43 (idle).

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ok. Here I go again :p

*img156.imageshack.us/img156/8113/20090924133857.th.gif

CPU : e5200 2.5Ghz @ 3333 Mhz
Revision : MO
FSB X Multiplier : 266 X 12.5
Vcore Under Load : 1.288V
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.304V
Vcore set in bios : 1.325V
Cooler : CoolerMaster Hyper 212 with one 120mm fan
Additional notes if any : The CPU is idling at 41c and 44c and under load reaches 58c and 60c.

Motherboard : XFX 650i Ultra
Chipset : Nvidia 650i ultra
Bios Version : PO5
Additional notes if any : I've to increase CPU FSB volt to 1.3V ( 1.2V stock )
and MCP SPP volt to 1.3V ( stock 1.2V )

*img196.imageshack.us/img196/8958/20090924133953.th.gif

Ram : Transcend 2x 2GB Value series 800 Mhz DDR2 @ 889 Mhz
Latency : 5-6-6
Volt ( set in bios ) : 1.9v

*img156.imageshack.us/img156/4275/20090924232428.th.png

Graphic Card : Palit 9600GT 512MB GDDR3
GPU Clock: 700Mhz ( 650Mhz stock )
Shader : 1750Mhz ( 1625Mhz stock )
Mem : 1850Mhz ( 1800Mhz stock

Stability Test :

*img62.imageshack.us/img62/6928/20090924133606.th.gif

Little Benchmark :p

3DMark06 Score : Overall : 11271 CPU : 3013 SM2 : 5091 HDR/SM3 : 4791

*img8.imageshack.us/img8/1913/20090924230726.th.png

WPrime 2.00 Score : 24.875 Secs

*img29.imageshack.us/img29/9364/20090924230935.th.png

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Wow...great OC.

I must say "we" made a good choice buying the Hyper 212. Personally I have always been satisfied buying Coolermaster Products. They are the masters of cooling...!...Be it TIM, fans, Coolers, cabinets...not used their PSU but am sure they are good. I previously had a Cool Viva Plus on my old 8500GT...OC'ed it like crazy.

By the way..can someone start a 3dmark/Vantage thread. We all can post their. Or should we just post it here...but it will mess it up...???

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ asigh - thanks!

Nice idea. Created a separate thread for 3DMark scores :p

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121310

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ The OC'ed one is the slave GPU. Since the 2nd GPU which I got was stocked at 1000/900, and my first one was at 975/850. So to make them match I OC'ed the 2nd one to match the first one.

The slave one runs slightly cooler.

Idle:
GPU1: 67C
GPU2: 62C

Load: (Furmark)
GPU1: 87C
GPU2: 86C

Load: (Gaming)
GPU1: 78C
GPU2: 72C

Obviously FURMARK burns the hell out of the GPUs.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

^^ Seriously not bad for the Reference coolers , u can use arctic accelero S2- cause i was thinking to go for this one for my GTX260 (cheap GPU cooling)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

OK! I have Athlon X2 4400+. I can overclock upto 2.8Ghz without touching vcore. The thing is whenever I have to overclock I just have to disable AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet as the CPU Frequency Scaling (i.e. the throttling down of frequency) feature does not allow frequency over 2.3 Ghz and and disabling Cool 'n' Quiet disables CPU Frequency scaling as well.
The thing is I want to have such that the CPU Frequency Scaling works with 2.8Ghz and also throttles down when necessary. Any ideas?

@asigh: Nice diagram ;)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Seriously not bad for the Reference coolers , u can use arctic accelero S2- cause i was thinking to go for this one for my GTX260 (cheap GPU cooling)

Honestly cannot be bothered to remove the cooler of the GPUs. They can easily sustain temperatures past 90C. (That is why we pay so much for them). And I doubt I will need to OC. Am satisfied with the Xfire.

You planning to dismantle yours..????

OK! I have Athlon X2 4400+. I can overclock upto 2.8Ghz without touching vcore. The thing is whenever I have to overclock I just have to disable AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet as the CPU Frequency Scaling (i.e. the throttling down of frequency) feature does not allow frequency over 2.3 Ghz and and disabling Cool 'n' Quiet disables CPU Frequency scaling as well.
The thing is I want to have such that the CPU Frequency Scaling works with 2.8Ghz and also throttles down when necessary. Any ideas?

@asigh: Nice diagram ;)

Just being logical here..never OC'ed an AMD.

1. Which motherboard you have.
2. What is the max FSB (1) supports.
3. Is the multiplier unlocked (I think you can do it on AMD chipsets).
4. Which multipliers you tried.

I think throttling should still work. How you know it is not working...?? If at certain settings you are able to get the CPU speeds up high, and pass the stability tests...then be happy and leave it there...! :)

amitash

Intel OCer

@LFC_fan: AFAIK AMD cool n quiet is quiet inefficient on the older amd models like the 4400+ and hampers OCing unlike intels speedstep...you will just have to disable it...alternately u may try a bios update to see if it helps

@asigh: he has an amd procy so no FSB and ocing is a totally different process and afaik multiplier is locked on non black edition procys

Top Bottom