CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
re: Overclock List & Discussion Thread

@LFC_fan: AFAIK AMD cool n quiet is quiet inefficient on the older amd models like the 4400+ and hampers OCing unlike intels speedstep...you will just have to disable it...alternately u may try a bios update to see if it helps

@asigh: he has an amd procy so no FSB and ocing is a totally different process and afaik multiplier is locked on non black edition procys

Then how does one OC it. With both the FSB and multiplier locked..?

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Honestly cannot be bothered to remove the cooler of the GPUs. They can easily sustain temperatures past 90C. (That is why we pay so much for them). And I doubt I will need to OC. Am satisfied with the Xfire.

You planning to dismantle yours..????

I m going to buy either HD5850 or HD5870 for Phenom 2 940 & put my GTX 260 in to Intel one may be Q6600 from my friend .

I am going to dismantle the GTX260 , cause its comes with 3rd party cooler which i dont like most

Krow

Crowman

@ asigh AMD proc's have had an integrated memory controller since a long time, something which Intel has only since core i7. So, AFAIK, just like you OC the core i7 920, which has no FSB and no unlocked multiplier, same way its for the AMD proccy's. I have not oc'ed my proc yet so I can't help you with this much as of now. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I m going to buy either HD5850 or HD5870 for Phenom 2 940 & put my GTX 260 in to Intel one may be Q6600 from my friend .

I am going to dismantle the GTX260 , cause its comes with 3rd party cooler which i dont like most

It would be better to mate the 5870 (if you get it) to the high-end i7s. There are issues of CPU bottle necks. Though even if you use a Phenom 2 940 or P55 i5/i7 or even a high end Quad you will get phenomenal performance -- but you will not extract all the power from the 5870. And is not that..what we all want. To squeeze every drop from our systems..and then take it a bit beyond.

@ asigh AMD proc's have had an integrated memory controller since a long time, something which Intel has only since core i7. So, AFAIK, just like you OC the core i7 920, which has no FSB and no unlocked multiplier, same way its for the AMD proccy's. I have not oc'ed my proc yet so I can't help you with this much as of now. :)

Ok...did a bit of research. For the X58 chipset unless you have the extreme edition i7s the multiplier and FSB is locked. The QPI has to be changed, and that is done using the Base Clock. BCLK. Once the BCLK is changed it moves the QPI speed respectively. But voltages and RAM timings can still be manually changed -- if the chips need extra power.

Could anyone place the procedure here for AMD chips. Or if they want they can make a similiar chart like have (use Visio). Else I can make a chart for AMD chips - if someone can tell me a detailed method.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

It would be better to mate the 5870 (if you get it) to the high-end i7s. There are issues of CPU bottle necks. Though even if you use a Phenom 2 940 or P55 i5/i7 or even a high end Quad you will get phenomenal performance -- but you will not extract all the power from the 5870. And is not that..what we all want. To squeeze every drop from our systems..and then take it a bit beyond.

I got this Phenom 2 940 cause some day i wud sure OC over 5Ghz , cause Phenom 2 940 Hold the record of 5.5ghz using H20 .

All i need is vantage points any ways i should touch 45000 to 50000 in vantage mark . GTX 295 3 ways is to costly for me & GTX 295 i cant OC much ! i need to wait until HD5870X2 should be launched

Till now 44750 vantage mark is the Highest scored with Phenom 2 on 6.8Ghz with HD4870X2 - it wud be worth to get HD5870X2 , so i can manage to save to money for Higher end proccy .

Anil - i dont think Corei7 920 compared to Q9550 & 940 dint do much performance in OCing , Though i7 920 cannot be pushed over 4-4.2 even with higher End cooling !

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I got this Phenom 2 940 cause some day i wud sure OC over 5Ghz , cause Phenom 2 940 Hold the record of 5.5ghz using H20 .

All i need is vantage points any ways i should touch 45000 to 50000 in vantage mark . GTX 295 3 ways is to costly for me & GTX 295 i cant OC much ! i need to wait until HD5870X2 should be launched

Till now 44750 vantage mark is the Highest scored with Phenom 2 on 6.8Ghz with HD4870X2 - it wud be worth to get HD5870X2 , so i can manage to save to money for Higher end proccy .

Anil - i dont think Corei7 920 compared to Q9550 & 940 dint do much performance in OCing , Though i7 920 cannot be pushed over 4-4.2 even with higher End cooling !

Its not about the OCing factor. Its how fast the CPU can feed the data to the GPU. Prior to this it used to get bottle necked due to the North Bridge. The QPI has corrected that, so more data can flow via tha x16 channels.

nads

Broken In

hey guys m new to overclocking not much of an overclocker have the following spec

AMD phenom II X2 550BE
Gigabyte MA78GMUS2H
4GB RAM DDR2@800Mhz Kingston Value RAM
250 GB HDD Seagate
2 DVD RW Drives
VIP 600W PSU
Case is Zebronics Reaper

not a powerful system IMHO but it suffices my need.... well just installed Sunbeam Core contact Freezer 120mm n have got these results by just bumping up the cpu multiplier..... able to acheive @3.9Ghz with 1.45Volts was stable in AMD overdrive stability test will test on OCCT when i ave time.... but i m unable to reach 4.0Ghz dunno y tried 1.555Volts but i would get a BSOD tried doing by increasing the HT but when it comes to 4.0Ghz it crahes no matter what..... can anyone enlighten me....:oops:

CPU : AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
Revision : RBC2
FSB X Multiplier : 201X19
Vcore Under Load : 1.401V
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.056V
Vcore set in bios : Auto (OC through AMD Overdrive)
Cooler : SunBeam Core Contact Freezer 120mm
Additional notes If any :

Motherboard : Gigabyte MA78GMUS2H
Chipset : 780
Bios Version : F8
Additional notes if any :

Ram : Kingston Value RAM
Latency : 5-5-5-15
Volt ( set in bios ) : Auto

Graphic Card : Galaxy GTX260 216SP
GPU Clock: 625
Shader : 1350
Mem : 1050
Additional notes if any : Stock

CPUZ-----*valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=817307
*valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=817307

OCCT Linpack test 30 mins----
*img22.imageshack.us/g/2009110814h44cpu1.png/
*img22.imageshack.us/g/2009110814h44cpu1.png/

will be trying to OC at much higher speeds n post them once when they r stable.... one note though i m not planning for 24X7 OC but i m doing this for just the fun of it n to see upto where my processor is stable n can run 24X7 when need arises right now i m quite happy with stock speeds n the temps i m getting... thx guys this thread is gr8 n helpful.....

Krow

Crowman

*img46.imageshack.us/img46/9883/capture13012010223224.jpg
Will go up higher, but later, when I push pull my TRUE. Currently operating my TRUE with Delta 120CFM fan, will push pull soon after I acquire some zip ties. :D

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Will go up higher, but later, when I push pull my TRUE. Currently operating my TRUE with Delta 120CFM fan, will push pull soon after I acquire some zip ties. :D

^^ Nice one - really impressive:p

Post Your Other Deatils in this format :

CPU :
Revision :
FSB X Multiplier :
Vcore Under Load :
Vcore at idle status in windows :
Vcore set in bios :
Cooler :

Motherboard :
Chipset :
Bios Version :

Ram :
Latency :
Volt ( set in bios ) :

Graphic Card :
GPU Clock:
Shader :
Mem :

At the end just stick your benchmark and stability test results :p

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 940BE
Revision : RB-C2
FSB X Multiplier : 200.9 x 17.0
Vcore Under Load : 1.34V
Vcore at idle status in windows : 1.328V
Vcore set in bios : 1.35V
Cooler : TRU120E + Delta 120CFM fan (AFB1212HHE)
Additional notes if any : Just bumped the multiplier to get a stable clock. The TRUE works wonders with a high quality fan. Without that, the TRUE won't do much.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Chipset : 790GX
Bios Version : F7A
Additional notes if any : Nil.

Ram : 2x2GB Kingston CL6 and 2x2GB OCZ CL4 Titanium 800MHz DDR2
Latency : Mentioned above
Volt ( set in bios ) : Stock

Graphic Card : IGP- HD3300
GPU Clock: Stock
Shader : Stock
Mem : Stock

*img46.imageshack.us/img46/9883/capture13012010223224.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Listed it on 1st page :p

BTW, If possible post thumbs of this big images - have mercy on mobile and netbook users and those who don't have wide screen monitors :p

Krow

Crowman

Listed it on 1st page :p

BTW, If possible post thumbs of this big images - have mercy on mobile and netbook users and those who don't have wide screen monitors :p
You should not have quoted my image topgear. That is a waste of bandwidth. :)) And I have a 17" CRT box monitor, and I have kept the resolution of the image somewhere around 800 pixels wide. It is not stretching the image at all. :)

Thumbs need an added click, so I never post them, although mobile users will want to attack me for saying this. :ashamed:

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

yup - but on the previous page the image was the only thing that I can mention. and for the image resolution I've to scroll horizotally to see it correctly @ 1366 screen width and I'm using opera :p

Krow

Crowman

yup - but on the previous page the image was the only thing that I can mention. and for the image resolution I've to scroll horizotally to see it correctly @ 1366 screen width and I'm using opera :p
This is strange, as I am on FF and my screen resolution is 1152x864. :cool:

Anyway, next time around, I'll try and lessen the resolution. Btw, now I am at 3616MHz, but I can't get it stable even after pushing vcore to 1.392V. I think I'll google up some AM2+ overclocking guides. :s

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ You need to pump up more voltage ( around 1.5V ) and you can reach around 3.8 GHz with 1.52 vcore :p

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

^^ Amd recommends only 1.45 max limit for Phenom 2 940 1.50 if its water cooled Or L2n

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Did AMD also specified some speed limit with 1.45V vcore ??

If you have proper cooling you can safely pump u 1.5V - If you want to achive a certain speed then OC does not always stays within manufacturers specified limit.

Take a look at these :

*ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/phenom-2-overclocking-p1.html
*www.techspot.com/review/142-phenom2-overclocking/page2.html

So phenom II X4 940BE requires that much voltage ie around 1.5v to reach 3.6 GHz and beyond and for cooling I think it's safe upto 3.6 GHz with good air cooler:p

Here what tom's hardware guys are saying :

Overclocking with a Black Edition Phenom II is as easy as it was using previous Phenom chips—an unlocked multiplier remains the most straightforward way to scale up and down 100 MHz at a time on a 200 MHz reference clock. With 19.5x keyed in, we set the processor’s voltage to 1.55 V, which was the maximum AMD recommended for air cooling.

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-3.html

here oc club setting :p

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.755GHz (200x18.5) 1.55v

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii940/4.htm

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

Overclocked my friend's PC

CPU - AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Revision :- RB-C3
HT x Multiplier :- 200 x 20
Vcore under load :- 1.472
Vcore at idle :- Don't remember
Vcore set in BIOS :- 1.500
Cooler :- Stock
Additional Notes :- Cabinet is Cooler Master CM 690 with one intake fan on the front, one intake at side window and one exhaust.

Motherboard :- Biostar TA 790 GX BE
Chipset :- AMD 790 GX
BIOS version :- 080014
Additional Notes :- I love this damn mobo, just for Rs. 4100

RAM :- Corsair XMS 2 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz
Latency :- 5-5-5-18
Voltage :- 1.125

Graphics card:- None

Final Speed :- 4000 MHz

Tomorrow is Sunday, I'll definitely run the SuperPi 32M when I'll visit him.

*img696.imageshack.us/img696/3848/40multimedia.th.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom