CPU + motherboard + cooler queries

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:pure gaming and extreme video conversion Ie all FULLHD

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Always

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:30k

4. Planning to overclock?
A:To the extreme when i can and needed

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Win 7 64 bit

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:Already own

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 23 inch full hd using

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:8

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:Current one in my signature is my own build

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Immediate

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Yes 3 years atleast

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:case , hdd, power supply ( I only neeed cpu , motherbaord and ram)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Chennai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I5 2500k extreme clocking capable and stable motherboard needed. I am getting 2500k for 12.3k is that fine. And gene-z i choose instead of z68 v . Pro and v not sure why 2k difference.

Hi guys i wanted to upgrade cpu and motherboard.

I choosen i5 2500k and gene-z wanted to know all z68 can i overclock to 4.5ghz or only gene-z whats the max safe freequency for stock heat sink

Also let me know the difference between asus z68 v and v pro which should i choose.

Is there any disadvantage on atx and matx kindly let me know.

Would atx have enough space for gpu crossfire and sli and could have big heatsink.

I am owning nzxt case basic one its cool and had 5 fans

Using a 600 watt smps and own a hd5770 with currently running e5800 cpu feels bit slow for current reqs

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 11K
MSI Z68A-GD55 (Full ATX with SLI and CF support) @ 9.5K
Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL 4GB X 2 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 3.3K

Total = 23.8K.

BTW, CM Extreme Plus is not a good PSU and not recommended with high end configs like what you're going to build. So I suggest you to get a good PSU like Corsair GS600 600W PSU @ 4K.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
How abt the asus z68 v . Is there any big difference between v and v pro. Also what the msi and v when compared to . Which is better full atx or matx

Any help please. which is best gene or z68 v or v pro.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Both are of almost same league.However, Asus P8Z68-V mobo has mopre features like 3 PCI Express X16 slots (X8-X8-X4), all the other features are almost same. Now Asus mobos normally have slightly better build quality whereas MSI service is better. Both of them are ATX board.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
How abt the asus z68 v . Is there any big difference between v and v pro. Also what the msi and v when compared to . Which is better full atx or matx

Any help please. which is best gene or z68 v or v pro.

if OCing is your main priority then you should opt for ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z (Z68 ) - it's one of the best OCer mobo out there ;-)

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
But would it be fine i am getting asus v for 13.5k and gene-z for 14.5 k 1k difference is there. But Not a huge overclock fan. But decent with optimal performance.

Any online site with good price with many payment option.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
No, its still 12.1K @itwares.

Link: TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

So, Did I miss something here? :unsure:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ nice find - I thought it was around ~13k - thanks for this anyway ;-)

@ macho84 - get the gene-z without any second thought - it has top notch build quality with some great features and at only 12.1k it's the the real deal for any Z68 buyers ( and OCers ) out there ;-)

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Noctua C14 OR D14

Hi guys let me know which is cooler and last longer.

My spec is i am getting asus p8z68 v and Intel i5 2500k with 8gb gskill 2133 ram.

My case is nzxt gamma. I checked the spec and i had enough room i believe. But wondering is that extra 1300 for c14 is worth. Also it weighs less 100 grams when compared to d14 but had low profile and high profile mode.

My one concern is d14@4k and C14@5200k . Which makes me to think twice.

I dont want to end up removing existing fans if i need to insall the cooler. definitely if i go for c14 side 120mm fan is waste As its pushing to the side if i use the top fan. But i felt c14 is less bulkier and more concerned on the weighing side. as one side the heat pipes are popping. Kindly help me to decide which is best for my spec.

Thanks in advance.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi top help me with the heat sink which one should i go for c14@5.3k or d14@4k

Case is nzxt gamma.

Sry i had got Asus z68 v then only saw your reply. Its done now.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Re: Noctua C14 OR D14

I highly doubt whether any of them will get into gamma without any space problem. :unsure:

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz

So i cant install the heatsink in my gamma. I had 168mm as per nzxt case

As the hSF requires 160mm only

Just see this for your info.
Nzxt gamma with Noctua d14

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ congrats on the mobo purchase ;-)

go with D14 - @4k ( where ?? ) it's a steal and you'll be able to use it with gamma.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Where's D14 is only 4k ??

I say go with D14 though you will have to remove the side panel fan(s) - but still D14 worth it ;-)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

I say go with D14 though you will have to remove the side panel fan(s)

yes, this will be the problem... If you can sacrifice side fans then its ok. :)

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
actually its at 3.9k at bitflang.com. They are good but my bad luck i am not getting the gskill ddr3 2133 ram Until monday due to diwali fest. Not sure i had to wait a week for this ram. Why they dont have these good ram in stock. May be its costly and people rarely get it seems.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You did the right thing. I also prefer Asus P8Z68-V /Pro over Maximus IV Gene-Z. Both overclock the same. With Gene-Z you'd have only paid for the ROG branding and compromised on slots.

Top Bottom