Computer so hot, it doesn't finish boot process without overheat.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I recently re-applied thermal compound on my Dell Inspiron laptop (link to teardown process : Goodbye overheating! | Aaruni's Blog ). It ran cool for a single day, idle temps at around 45 C. Now it won't boot. Fan spins at full RPM during boot time, and the computer shuts down before booting can be complete. Any help appreciated!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
surely something went loose. open and check again if the heatpipe is touching the processor. usually the heatpipe is forced in place by a bracket which may have become loose.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@sam : been there, done that, multiple times. it still doesn't work. auto shuts-down from a cold boot in 18 seconds.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@gollum : it did touch on the chip, on parts outside the core, but not on the motherboard.

@sam : Cooler master IC Value V1

Gollum

Collector
yeah, boots into BIOS, but my BIOS doesn't show temps, and it auto-shuts down after about 18 seconds.

if you touch the heatsink while the unit is ON. Do you feel that it's hot?

try this
[youtube]3Gu2359FNDU[/youtube]

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@gollum : that is way too much amount for my proccy (mobile intel i3)

I have tried running it at minimum config, and the heatsink does feel warm, but not so hot (critical temps are 90C for CPU, and 87C for GPU).

*edufor.fosspowered.com/img/image.php?di=IX14

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If the heatsink is warm, that means its transferring heat. If it doesn't, then its a problem.

How are you saying that the system is shutting down only because of heat? Did you try remounting memory kit/swapping the rams, remounting HDDs and resetting CMOS battery?

I am assuming that you haven't done anything to the thermal pad for the chipset and that they're having proper contact over it.

Are the fan pins connected? Is the fan spinning?

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@sorcerer : I am saying that system is shutting down because of overheat, because of the behavior (fan runs at full RPM, and then, suddenly, off).

Yeah, I tried removing and putting back memory several times (each time I have to disassemble the laptop, I have to remove RAM). I did swap the slots too. Did remove HDD (part of tear-down process), and tried resetting CMOS too (as suggested by someone on #krow), but nothing works.

The fan spins at full RPM, and then the laptop shuts down, so yeah, fans are connected..

Gollum

Collector
looks like something wrong with either your cpu or mainboard.
PS your link for teardown does not open

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
For a notebook processor?

@OP:
Can you put the pictures of the new application of the thermal paste once again? Did you try booting one ram at a time? You also didn't say anything about the thermal pad contact as well. You can try and see if the system is staying on without the HDD connected.

fyi, swabs have lints. You need to use Lint free cloth- period.

If you've tried everything, send it to the service centre. You've exhausted every possible step, unless you've recollected a step that you may have missed before, I don't see how this can be solved.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - did you test the laptop without the battery installed ? .. once I had a weird issue of shutting down whenever I plug in a USB device or run some game though later adding a gfx card fixed it .. my point is this could be the ram or motherboard acting funny.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@gollum : works for me.

@swiftshashi : that's how I tore it down in the first place... service manual

@sorcerer : there was no thermal pad, only thermal paste. and since I can't find any alcohol locally, I decided to go for swabs, and was careful not to leave behind anything after cleaning. I did try with only a single stick of ram, without HDD, and it still won't stay on.

@topgear : how can I boot it up without battery while it is opened up like that ? I will have put it back together, and take out just the battery..

Top Bottom