Calling all Linux Experts: I've got a million questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
When i type
sudo lokkit in terminal it asks for my password and after that it says - "lokkit:Command not found" :(

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
@ nvidia8800: You don't need to go to www to download apps for linux.Go toApplications>Add/Remove...To both install and remove day-to-day apps.Use Synaptic Package Manager for more advanced applications.You will have thousands of applications at your disposal.!:cool:

When i type
sudo lokkit in terminal it asks for my password and after that it says - "pAckage not found"
Did you do sudo apt-get install lokkit.?I guess not.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The one on the CD (is there any?? never realised) would prolly be an older version. Don't worry nvidia, you did nothing wrong :)

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Thanks Shady.
I cant believe there are soooo many apps that are there to install...
But i cant find lokkit in Add/Remove....

praka123

left this forum longback
^go to menu System>administration>Synaptic package manager :)
remember having internet ON !

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I have found lokkit there and i downloaded it. But i'm unable to install it whatsoever.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
You downloaded the file from Synaptic means it has been installed.Now go back to Terminal and try sudo lokkit:)

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Thats what i did... In terminal i get the following error... :(
akshay@akshay-desktop:~$ sudo lokkit
[sudo] password for akshay:
sudo: lokkit: command not found
akshay@akshay-desktop:~$

praka123

left this forum longback
^it seems u dont have lokkit installed?select by double clicking "lokkit" in synaptic.(u need INTERNET ON to download and install)
then,
Code:
whereis lokkit

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I had internet ON and installed lokkit. But when i type whereis lokkit in terminal nothing happens...
akshay@akshay-desktop:~$ whereis lokkit
lokkit:
akshay@akshay-desktop:~$

praka123

left this forum longback
^then close synaptic and open a terminal(in menu Appliactionas>Accssrs>Terminal)
run:
"sudo apt-get install lokkit" wait for complete download and install.make sure NET is connected.

are don't go installing stuff the offline way when you have net.
first, ensure that the net is conected. For that, access the digit forum thru firefox to confirm.
then go to applications==>Assosaries==>Terminal
when a terminal window opens, type the following lines within it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install lokkit
now lokkit is installed.
then you can use lokkit.

and yes, if you want other software like Xine, VLC, etc, I can give you that code too. Just do
Code:
sudo apt-get install <package1> <package2> <package3> <this_continues>
or just browse for them in synaptic package manager.
All available software like the one above, have websites which give instructions like the one I, Prakash, etc gave you. You can follow them to install thousands of software packages.

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
I installed lokkit...
Thanks a lot to all of you guys...
so @nvidia8800 how are doing?
formatting this time too:p
No... Im sticking to Ubuntu... :)
Btw, can someone tell me the names of the fonts that are used in XP or Vista? I feel a little uncomfortable with the default fonts here....

I installed lokkit...

Btw, can someone tell me the names of the fonts that are used in XP or Vista? I feel a little uncomfortable with the default fonts here....
just copy fonts from mac, xp, vista font folders to your ubuntu fonts folder. ask for it here.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I installed lokkit...

Tahoma, segui, lucida grande, apple garmond, aquabase. Copy all the .ttf files to the fonts folder in ubuntu.

To goto the fonts folder, u need to open it as root. To do that press Alt + F2 to bring up the run dialog box and type: gksu nautilus and press enter. When nautilus (file manager launches), on the loacation toolbar click on the pen and paper icon (if its in button mode) to bring in the text mode. Now goto the folder where the .ttf files are saved. Copy athem all. Now type this in the location bar: fonts:/// and press enter. Paste all the fonts. Log off and log back on and haf all the fonts installed.

To save half the procedure said above create a luancher (shortcut) on desktop with the command: gksu nautilus This launcher will serve as your root nautilus whenever you need to do an admin task. I know the post appears long, but i've made sure there are not doubts and haf tried to explain most things so that you blindly don't follow instructions but know actually what are you doing and learn :)

praka123

left this forum longback
better copy those fonts to ur /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myfonts dir.
open a terminal and run:
Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myfonts
now copy the fonts to the myfonts dir(u need root permissions) rather than copying into ~/.fonts/ dir and do a "sudo fc-cache -fv" thats it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom