Calling all Linux Experts: I've got a million questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Hey thanks.. Graphics driver is configured... It said yes!
I did not get your point about the audio thing....
When i play a file a media player thing will open and display the following message -
Search for suitable codec?
The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install suitable codecs to play media files. Do you want to search for a codec that supports the selected file?
The search will also include software which is not officially supported.
Cancel / Search
When i click on Search, a new window will open which says
Install Multimedia Codecs
under this window i can see two codecs.
When i click on any of the two, another window opens which says -
Confirm installation of restricted software?
The use of this software may be restricted in some countries. You must verify that one of the following is true:

• These restrictions do not apply in your country of legal residence
• You have permission to use this software (for example, a patent license)
• You are using this software for research purposes only
Cancel / Confirm
When i click on Confirm it says
The list of applications is not availabe

Click on 'Reload' to load it. To reload the list you need a working internet connection.
Cancel / Reload
When i press Reload, a window will open which says downloading and then it will disappear.
nothing happens.. What do i do?:confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
^hehe!make sure u have internet connected in ur ubuntu box :p that app is trying to download from www those necessary plugins!

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^How do i make sure "ubuntu box" is connected to the internet?
I'm browsing from Ubuntu itself so i guess its connected... :confused:
And Btw, is there any way to install it offline? Im on low bandwidth... Just 1 GB limit...

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Can you tell me the approximate size which these files will be?
And will they be able to play all the files? Has digit provided it in any of its DVDs?

CadCrazy

in search of myself
visit *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73538
and download gstreamer package(around 5 MB) for enabling sound

For online method go here

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I installed gstreamer from terminal as you have mentioned in your thread... But it couldnt play the file...
So i thought to reisntall it and typed sudo apt-get install gstreamer*
and then something was displayed in terminal. In the last line it was mentioned to remove gstreamer - type "sudo apt-get autoremove"
I thought if i could unistall and then reinstall the app then the problem would be solved and i used this command in terminal -
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove gstreamer*
:(:(:(
And it started to remove almost everything. I closed terminal when it was completed and now i cant see any media players, open offics and the worst thing is i cant use terminal. The icon is seen in Apps > Accessories > terminal.
But when i click on it, it says -
Could not launch menu item
Failed to execute child process "gnome-terminal" (No such file or directory)
(ok)
What do i do??
:(:(:( Should i reinstall Ubuntu to get terminal and others back again?? :(

CadCrazy

in search of myself
I think you messed up your ubuntu-desktop package

insert your gusty gibbon cd and press ctrl+alt+F1 to start command prompt and login. then type

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Guys i have heard that there is something like Aero in Linux also... Is it true? How do i enable it??

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Guys i have heard that there is something like Aero in Linux also... Is it true? How do i enable it??
Compiz Fusion.It's far better than Aero.
Do a sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager to download it.After installing, Right click desktop>Change Background>Visual effects and select Select Custom.Then click Preferences to edit the settings and enable all cool effects.! :mrgreen:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Yeah dude, Linux does have smthin like Aero.
Its called Compiz-Fusion.
Its already installed with Ubuntu, all you gotta do is enable it.
Follow this excellent tutorial.
*www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200

Regards,
ray

Installing Compiz Fusion

Open the Synaptic Package Manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager):
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/11.jpg
(JavaScript must be enabled in your browser to view the large image as an image overlay.)
Type in the root password:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/12.jpg
(JavaScript must be enabled in your browser to view the large image as an image overlay.)
Use the Search function and search for compizconfig:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/14.jpg
You should find the package compizconfig-settings-manager in the results. Click on it and select Mark for Installation:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/15.jpg
Accept that package's dependencies by clicking on Mark:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/16.jpg
Afterwards, you should also select the packages emerald and gnome-compiz-manager for installation (you can use the Search fuction again to find them):
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/17.jpg
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/18.jpg
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/19.jpg
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/20.jpg
Next, click on the Apply button:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/21.jpg
Confirm your selection by clicking on Apply again:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/22.jpg
Afterwards, the packages are being downloaded and installed:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/23.jpg
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/24.jpg
After all packages have been installed, you can close the Synaptic Package Manager:
*images.howtoforge.com/images/compiz_fusion_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_nvidia_geforce_fx_5200/25.jpg

damn... raraven beat me to it:mad:

Last edited:
OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Guys i just figured it out...
Goto System > Preferences > Appearance and there under Visual Effects Select Ultra...
There is something like Flip3d... Looks real cool!!!
@ray: How is that different from what i have enabled?

Im unistalling Windows Vista today.

Edit: That was fast MetalheadGautam:D Thanks...

Guys i just figured it out...
Goto System > Preferences > Appearance and there under Visual Effects Select Ultra...
There is something like Flip3d... Looks real cool!!!

Continue exploring your ubuntu. The best way to enjoy it is by discovering features yourself. ;)

And DON'T UNINSTALL WINDOWS VISTA UNLESS YOU HAVE FINALLY DITCHED GAMING. YOUR 8600GT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR RUNNING SEVERAL LATEST GAMES AT LOW SETTINGS. ENJOY THE CARD WHEN YOU CAN.

And yes, there are several good games for Linux. Unreal Tournament series, Quake Series, Doom Series, Gears of War, etc are the best examples. Many of them have linux installers within the installer DVD/CD. Try installing them to see the FPS boost compared to Vi$ta.

You might want to check out Quake3 based free games like Urban Terror, OpenArena, etc.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Since others are already helping you guys I haf nothing much to say, but one advice I'd give is: Use the 32-bit version rather than 64bit version (wherever applicable). Giving this advice since I saw 64-bit ubuntu somewhere inthe thread.

Secondly, for noobs its not advisable to use the alpha/beta (ubuntu 8.04) versions.

Its the same but in the order which you did. First it says to enable Compiz Fusion and it automatically detects the card and installs the 3D driver. Then it enables compiz fusion. In the last part it deals with installing Compiz fusion settings Manager, which is like an advanced control panel for tweaking compiz settings (which you can follow since you've alrady done the first 2 parts).

You may still need it for most of your DX10 games :)

Since others are already helping you guys I haf nothing much to say, but one advice I'd give is: Use the 32-bit version rather than 64bit version (wherever applicable). Giving this advice since I saw 64-bit ubuntu somewhere inthe thread.

Secondly, for noobs its not advisable to use the alpha/beta (ubuntu 8.04) versions.
not just for n00bs, even for some semi-intermediate users its not advisable to use Hardy. Just wait till its release. Learn to grow some patience.

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I have Windows XP for Gaming.. Im uninstalling Windows Vista...
And Btw, will your method of enabling compiz-fusion thing download some stuff from the internet?

I need to enable that gstreamer codec. I downloaded that 5.8MB file from the internet according to CadCrazy's thread.. See post #26 in this thread and see the offline method.
I downloaded that 5 MB file. I got a .zip file. how do i install from this?

P.S: This default Compiz-Fusion thing that i enabled ROCKS!!! And the way windows behaves when you drag it around the desktop is simply superb!!

^^I have Windows XP for Gaming.. Im uninstalling Windows Vista...
And Btw, will your method of enabling compiz-fusion thing download some stuff from the internet?

I need to enable that gstreamer codec. I downloaded that 5.8MB file from the internet according to CadCrazy's thread.. See post #26 in this thread and see the offline method.
I downloaded that 5 MB file. I got a .zip file. how do i install from this?

P.S: This default Compiz-Fusion thing that i enabled ROCKS!!! And the way windows behaves when you drag it around the desktop is simply superb!!
well, win xp can't play DX 10 games(or can it ? I heard dx 10 card is enuf even though you don't have dx in os)
my methord of compiz enabling downloads stuff only if its missing from your installation. I don't think you have to do it, as compiz fusion already exists. but just do it to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom