Calling all Linux Experts: I've got a million questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
You use sudo before any command to execute that command as Super user [it actually stands for Super Doer.].You can read the manual on sudo [or any other command for that matter.] by typing in man sudo

praka123

left this forum longback
^if ur accustomed with Ubuntu,why not disable sudo via "visudo" and set a root's password.use su - to use root terminal :p

sudo too can be risky may be not for home users,but for server/web admins. :-| as it uses SUID and it *can* be possibly used for a permission escalation.
*www.google.co.in/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=sudo+vulnerabilities&btnG=Search&meta=

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^if ur accustomed with Ubuntu,why not disable sudo via "visudo" and set a root's password.use su - to use root terminal :p

sudo too can be risky may be not for home users,but for server/web admins. :-| as it uses SUID and it *can* be possibly used for a permission escalation.
*www.google.co.in/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&q=sudo+vulnerabilities&btnG=Search&meta=
Yeah Prakash, I've disabled sudo since a looooooooong time. My post was the reply to OP quesiton: What is sudo?

:)

praka123

left this forum longback
^absolutely no need at the moment.but do use synaptic to install a firewall script like "lokkit".when installed open a terminal and run "sudo lokkit" .done.thats all :)

if you like zonealarm like detailed GUI,install "firestarter".you can install all these via synaptic.also,do update(press "reload" in synaptic when internet is connected) & upgrade ur packages regularly :)
enjoy Linuxing 8)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Firewall is all that you need, if you are so paranoid. But if you aer behind a NAT (like the auto dial adsl modems, routers etc.), then prolly even that is not that much necessary unless you wanna scrutinize every bit of data leaving you computer.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^Do i have to download the firewall or is it there in the CD?
Download. You need to download these software: lokkit, gnome-lokkit and ipmasq (tho the last 2 optional).

You can use Synaptic to select these software and click Install or u can use the CLI and type: sudo apt-get install lokkit gnome-lokkit ipmasq

They are a bunch of neat utilities and the total download size is only about 2.6MB. If you skip the gnome-lokkit (gui manangement of firewall for advanced settings) the the total download size is less than 200KB!

praka123

left this forum longback
^DONT INSTALL GNOME_LOKKIT.It is buggy and install's old gtk1.2.!
dont!
install lokkit.that's all,dont care for FW things later!it just sets a rule that configures iptables :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^DONT INSTALL GNOME_LOKKIT.It is buggy and install's old gtk1.2.!
dont!
install lokkit.that's all,dont care for FW things later!it just sets a rule that configures iptables :)
I use gnome lokkit so suggest. Thanks for pointing out the stability issues, Prakash :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
It is installed :) Press Alt + F2 to bring up the run dialog box or goto terminal and type: sudo lokkit

The config screen will appear. Make settings according. But be careful with the settings. If you set something incorrectly and block the wrong things you won't be able to access the inet or the network and/or devices thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom