[Buying Advice] Is HTC Explorer @8k a good deal? Other options?

Sarath

iDota
I was thinking of buying this phone for my friend's b'day. Especially with the deal going on HTC Explorer - Buy Online in India for Rs.7,999 as on 25th March 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com

Here are the specs/review: *www.gsmarena.com/htc_explorer-review-692p3.php

Q: Are there any better phones at a similar price point?

Q: If you own the HTC Explorer, would you recommend it?

Thanks

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Sarath excellent find man. I'm getting this. No phone can compete with this little monster at this price. I guess i can buy it finally. Thanks a million for the link mate.

Do you think same price will be reflected in flipkart soon? They are still selling it for 9.5k.

Wait buddy check this - motorola fire xt @ 8.7k

This is also an incredible deal. :)

Last edited:

sky770

Journeyman
^^ Sarath excellent find man. I'm getting this. No phone can compete with this little monster at this price. I guess i can buy it finally. Thanks a million for the link mate.

Do you think same price will be reflected in flipkart soon? They are still selling it for 9.5k.

Wait buddy check this - motorola fire xt @ 8.7k

This is also an incredible deal. :)

Wait! :O DONT GO with motorola fire xt. It has many* issues!

-screen is vastly unresponsive at times.

- standard android buttons on the screen have to be pressed hard sometimes to register a touch.

-locked bootloader from moto which means literally no support from developers for customer roms, mods etc.

-motorola has clearly stated that no updates for ICS for moto fire xt

these facts are collected as from various reviews/customer opinions & are not my own; infact I was* interested in this phone too but when i researched more about it I came to know abt its reality :/

No go IMO.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
go for explorer. all review till now have given good points. only problem can be less internal memory, hence less apps/games but that is true for all other Androids.

sky770

Journeyman
^^ What about explorer then mate?

@ max. 8k budget explorer is the best deal :)

but if you guys can wait then hang on..rates will go down for most of the droids :D after mwc 2012 there is going to b a rumble in the android market:p

aroraanant

Explorer
Explorer is a very good phone.
If I will get time then I will also try to post a review of the same.
But the camera quality is just average/ok

somulesnar

Journeyman
Hang on guys This link wud give u a better idea about the 2 andros stated above. Comparing them both side by side wud provide u a better conclusion ...

Check THIS

@aroraanant

Camera is just a mere requirement in an android phone in every possible budget..
I mean if a guy can spend thousands of bucks in investing for an android phone then he can surely get a digi cam or a DSLR even... I agree tht explorer hasnt got a good cam but still then a person can get many more advantages with the phone.

@Sarath

And about buying an android within a budget of 10k. I wud suggest u to get explorer instead of motorola fire xt. As both of them considerably are the same and its a bit foolish to spend 1000 to 1500 bucks more for just a 5mp cam wich the fire xt posses. And yes the xplorer gives u a bluetooth version 3.1 wer as the motorola gives version 2.1
The above link may give u a specific idea.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
go for explorer. all review till now have given good points. only problem can be less internal memory, hence less apps/games but that is true for all other Androids.

Yup sam i've locked it. :)

@ max. 8k budget explorer is the best deal :)

but if you guys can wait then hang on..rates will go down for most of the droids :D after mwc 2012 there is going to b a rumble in the android market:p

Hey buddy how much more the price's gonna drop? Will it go below 8k?? How long we have to wait until prices get reflected here in india?

sky770

Journeyman
Hang on guys This link wud give u a better idea about the 2 andros stated above. Comparing them both side by side wud provide u a better conclusion ...

Check THIS

@aroraanant

Camera is just a mere requirement in an android phone in every possible budget..
I mean if a guy can spend thousands of bucks in investing for an android phone then he can surely get a digi cam or a DSLR even... I agree tht explorer hasnt got a good cam but still then a person can get many more advantages with the phone.

@Sarath

And about buying an android within a budget of 10k. I wud suggest u to get explorer instead of motorola fire xt. As both of them considerably are the same and its a bit foolish to spend 1000 to 1500 bucks more for just a 5mp cam wich the fire xt posses. And yes the xplorer gives u a bluetooth version 3.1 wer as the motorola gives version 2.1
The above link may give u a specific idea.

+1 :)

@all
Even if someone considers the processor, community support AKA custom ROMs/mods developer support. -> Then forget moto fire xt :p

Also owners opinion, reviews are also to be taken while judging (now this clears up your mind a lot :))

And all this ^(above) makes a lot if you really want to "invest" your $$ into something future stable (not future proof though :D)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
@vickybat: I actually found the link on TE. It was iirc 6.6k before and now it is 8k. Awesome deal for whoever got it for that initial amount.

@everyone: Thank you for your responses. It is for a friend whose b'day falls on 27th so cant really "wait"

@aroraanant: Do you own this phone?

somulesnar

Journeyman
@Sarath

Mate, i wud suggest u to blindly go for explorer. As under the budget of 10k u cant get a better phone other than this. It is a lot better than the samsung y and other competitors in this range....

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

One more query: Is there a phone around 10k + 2k that is better than the explorer and justifies spending more?

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
The problem is that a phone with a bigger screen looks better than one with a smaller one despite what the hardware inside is.

Hence I am looking for atleast a 3.2screen if it is not too much to ask for.

I am looking at SE live with Walkman for now.

Heading out to get the SE live with walkman from Univercell for 14.6k

Top Bottom