Bsnl 2-8 download while u r asleep(my tutorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnl5486

Broken In
earlier when I had the bsnl 500 (now really happy with airtel unlimited 256)..I used to do it the hard way.....keep an alarm at 2:10 and then get up switch on...and then later have to get up for college..so by 7:50 switch it off.....
I had downloaded..more than 50 GB in one month...bsnl would be cursing me...now airtel will be...ehehe

morpheusv6

Journeyman
Just found this and it works.(Tried it)
source: *vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6369.html

Here is a method you can use to make 100 % sure that you don't get over billed for night time usage plan like HOME500.

This procedure assumes that your router/modem is connected to one Ethernet card in your machine.

This was tested on SmartAX MT882 Router, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Edgy.

For Linux (Ubuntu Edgy Eft)

1 RECOMMENDED:- configure your modem to autodial
2 install expect
3 install kalarm in gnome or KDE if it is not already installed, and make sure it run at startup or add the daemon to sessions
4 RECOMMENDED:- Disable internet time server updates (NTP)
sudo update-rc.d ntp-server remove
5 create a file router.exp with the following contents
Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f

set timeout 20
set echo off

# router user name
set name admin

# router password
set pass admin

# your router IP address
set routerip 192.168.1.1

# Read command as arguments to this script

set switch [ lrange $argv 0 1]

if {$switch == "" } {send_user "usage:\n\trouter ON\n\trouter OFF\n\trouter validcommand\n\n"
exit
} else {

if {$switch == "ON"} {set routercmd "pppoe set transport 1 autoconnect enabled\r"
} else {
if {$switch == "on"} {set routercmd "pppoe set transport 1 autoconnect enabled\r"
} else {
if {$switch == "OFF"} {set routercmd "pppoe set transport 1 disabled\r"
} else {
if {$switch == "off"} {set routercmd "pppoe set transport 1 disabled\r"
} else {
set switch [ lrange $argv 0 9]
set routercmd "$switch\r"
}}}}

}

send_user "sending router:- $switch \n"

#other useful commands
# set routercmd "pppoe list transports\r"
# set routercmd "pppoe show transport 1\r"
# set routercmd "pppoe list transports\r"

# start telnet
spawn telnet $routerip

# send username & password
expect "Login: "
send "$name\r"
expect "Password: "
send "$pass\r"
expect -i "--> "
send $routercmd
send '^]'
expect "telnet> "
send "close\r"
send_user "\nDone!\n"
exit
6. Enter your router IP, router username, router password in the script
NOTE:(if you have some other router change the script to respond according to the menu that you get while you telnet your router)

7. Schedule the following commands in kalarm to run in terminal
Code: /your_script_location/./router.exp OFF 1:50am and 7:50am ( or fancy your time ! )
Code: /your_script_location/./router.exp ON 2:10am ( or fancy your time ! )
! be careful with the schedules and make sure that you test it

For Windows XP

This method is safer than using a dialer like the one in DAP because in XP there is a good probability that things can crash.

1) RECOMMENDED:- configure your modem to autodial
2) download TS10 from www.winsite.com/bin/In...0000000873
3) create two text files

enable.txt

Code: 192.168.1.1
WAIT "Login: "
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "Password: "
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "--> "
SEND "pppoe set transport 1 autoconnect enabled\m"
disable.txt

Code: 192.168.1.1
WAIT "Login: "
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "Password: "
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "--> "
SEND "pppoe set transport 1 disabled\m"

4) create two .bat files (open notepad and save as "routerON.bat" and "routerOFF.bat")
with the following contents

routerON.bat
Code: chdir C:\RouterSwitch
c:
TST10 /r:enable.txt /o:last_log.txt
routerOFF.bat
Code: chdir C:\RouterSwitch
c:
TST10 /r:disable.txt /o:last_log.txt
5) Create an empty file called last_log.txt to diagnose output of the last run script.Save all the files TST10.exe,enable.txt,disable.txt,routerON.bat,routerOFF.bat
in C:\RouterSwitch

6) schedule the routerOFF.bat to run 1:50am and 7:50am (! or fancy your time )
schedule the routerON.bat to run 2:10am (! or fancy ur time )

7) RECOMMENDED :- to shutdown your computer you don't need to trust a third party app , forced shutdown is probably more successful in different conditions
to do that create a file shut.bat with the following line

Code: shutdown -f -s -t 30 and schedule to run at your time
this will display a 30 sec warning to all users logged in to your computer

(make sure that u run the scripts once, and test it and make sure your firewall and/or anti virus remembers the settings)

For dynamic IP users (eg-HOME500)
whenever you wanna change your external IP,
(that is disconnect and reconnect)
when autodial is enabled in router you dont need to reach for router switch.
Just run this at terminal or command prompt
Quote: in linux

./router.exp OFF
./router.exp ON

in windows

routerOFF
routerON

*vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_exclaim.gif [NOTE:- in case of power failure or modem restart, you will still be in automatically connected after disconnected by routerOFF.bat in windows
or ./router.exp OFF in linux]

*vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
A worst case scenario:
just a good UPS will save you

router OFF at 7:55am (BSNL TIME *vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif )
PC shutdown at 7:56am (BSNL TIME )
power fluctuation or modem restart at 7:57am (BSNL TIME ) *vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_question.gif
modem has LAN link even after PC shutdown *vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_question.gif
your router gets auto connected *vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_exclaim.gif

You will be charged for *vinuthomas.com/images/smiles/icon_question.gif

*vinuthomas.com/images/icons/icon_disk.gif(*vinuthomas.com/Forums/download/id=184.html) Description:
Linux (expect script)​
Filename: router.zip Filesize: 576 Bytes Downloaded: 48 Time(s)

*vinuthomas.com/images/icons/icon_disk.gif*vinuthomas.com/Forums/download/id=183.html Description:
For Windows XP​
Filename: routerswitch.zip Filesize: 191.21 KB Downloaded: 97 Time(s)

Use Auto Power on to run the .bat files at the sceduled time.

Difference between BSNL time and windows time : approx. +5min i.e. BSNL is 5 minutes behind windows time. So connect the router at 2.07 am and disconnect at 8.03 am.
Use server : "chime.utoronto.ca" for getting the time.

Here's my download chart:

Start
Time Stop
Time Send
(KB) Receive
(KB) Combined
(KB) Duration
(seconds) Daily Total 2007/06/03 02:00:07 07:59:41 1046541 2407213 3453754 21574 2007/06/03
3453754 KB
3372.81 MB
5 hr 00 m

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
(for Linux users only :p )
I simply uses cron for this purpose.just edit the lines to look like 'man 5 crontab'
restart cron daemon.thats all.no more hassles.
edit using 'crontab -e' and lists by 'crontab -l' .btwn the command to switch of BB adsl is "poff" in Debian and Ubuntu.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
My recommendation right now is to use utorrent's built in scheduler. Just make it stop all downloads after 8am and start at 2am. Works like magic*.

*Steve Jobs at Macworld.

OP
blademast3r

blademast3r

In the zone
goobimama said:
My recommendation right now is to use utorrent's built in scheduler. Just make it stop all downloads after 8am and start at 2am. Works like magic*.

*Steve Jobs at Macworld.
well ya but keepin ur comp on till two uses up a lil smthin called electricity!!

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Thanks for tutorial but i have bsnl home UL 900 *UNLIMITED INTERNET*
but i have to shedule it to make it download at night time.can u tell me how to make download queue in µtorrent?

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Use utorrent Scheduler function. Go to Options>>Preferences>>Scheduler and then enable scheduler and click so that in all days between 2-8 am green button displays and for all others it remains white. Then even when you keep torrent active it will download only between 2-8am.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
excellent tut, but i consider starting the system automatically using WAKE BY ALARM feature from BIOS. and to shutdown/hibernet use the power options in screen saver dialog and set it to download after 4 - 5 hours. so if ur computer starts at 2 then it will shutdown at 6 or 7 :D
so on 3rd party apps :)

tango_cash

In the zone
hey i have a ZTE ZXDSL 831All modem.
it is pre configured with user name and password.so when i switch it on i am directly connected to the internet,without entering any user name or password.
and bsnl counts ur internet use if the modem is on.and it should be switched off and on at/after 2.00am for the happy hours to be counted.
i am already facing problem with my billing even when i manually restarted my modem at 2.50am. and switched it off at 6.45am in the morning.(go to *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75117 for the whole story)
so i am afraid to use this trick.
also can anyone explain in detail the scheduling of utorrent. iam confused with all those green boxes.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well Green is for good to go, while white means no go.

So basically, for 2-am to 8am download, you need to set the third column through the 11th column to green and the rest to white. Just hovering over each of the boxes tells you the exact date and time which the box matters. It's pretty easy. Only, don't set it to the opposite, or you'll download during the entire day except 2am to 8am ;)

tango_cash

In the zone
goobimama said:
Well Green is for good to go, while white means no go.

So basically, for 2-am to 8am download, you need to set the third column through the 11th column to green and the rest to white. Just hovering over each of the boxes tells you the exact date and time which the box matters. It's pretty easy. Only, don't set it to the opposite, or you'll download during the entire day except 2am to 8am ;)

what was that thing about the 11th coulumn????
i did this see
*img225.imageshack.us/img225/8764/utrnthx2.th.jpg

i use utorrent 1.7.5. which one do u use.

goobimama

 Macboy
Oops. I got a bit confused. Started counting with my fingers and well. But yes, you seem to have it all covered. Btw, you could use Windows scheduler to start utorrent itself at somewhere around 2:20am so that there isn't a billing error.

Also, my modem shuts down when there's no activity (the light goes green). As soon as I request some activity, it takes 5-6 seconds, connects again (orange light) and voila!

praka123

left this forum longback
one simple answer is use bridge mode(ie; dial from Linux,mac or win to connect).connect net only when u want.there are many scheduler softwares out there.BTW,if ur using router-modem in-built dialer-change ur password for admin from default.

tango_cash

In the zone
which is ur model no ????

praka123 said:
one simple answer is use bridge mode(ie; dial from Linux,mac or win to connect).connect net only when u want.there are many scheduler softwares out there.BTW,if ur using router-modem in-built dialer-change ur password for admin from default.

cud u pls explain all that, i mean the bridge.....the router-modem in-built dialer-change ur password for admin from default....

i get ur point about many scheduler softwares out there

hey goobimama how do i configure utorrent to start the downloading when the program is started????

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Well do the scheduler thing like you've done. Then, using Windows scheduler or some third party scheduler, make sure you start utorrent itself at 2:20am. That way, when utorrent starts, it will automatically start downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom