Beryl on Linux Runs Cool Effects on Intel 915 - What has Microsoft Done to AERO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
kalpik said:
Point proved.. Main batata hun kya kar.. Please STOP defending MS in each and every reply of yours..
thats it every 1 knows it doesnt work .... the thread strarter said it doesnt work ... no 1 is claiming that it works .... its not working its not working doesnt mean MS is a bad company or vista is a bad product as i said if xp cant run properly ona 486 it becomes a bad OS :confused::confused:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
But if OS B is able to run 10 times better effects on almost one quarter of the requirements of OS A, isnt OS B>OS A? What the use of getting all sentimental and posting all sorts of crap over it?

lol... these fanboys are so experienced.. lol.. experienced fanboys... we are not talking about a 486 fanboy! we are talking about Inel915chipset!! Wake up and stop comparing things to your obsolete memory

@kalpik, sorry your reply came in between mine

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
why r u pickin up 486 whenever u hav to defend vista...

486 production stopped 5-6 yrs b4 Xp came...lol

but intel 915 was released barely 1.5 yrs b4 vista release..

does that mean that one has to jump over new hardware everytime a new OS releases when dozens of better working alternatives are there?

praka123

left this forum longback
oh am so late!leave 915! does vista works fine with even intel945 and c2d procee?what is that dealy when pressing the wow bubble(start menu)?

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^^ haha, yh sure...

by the way, did you know...

i succesfully booted XP Pro SP2 on 22 MB Ram!!! :))

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
bikdel said:
why r u pickin up 486 whenever u hav to defend vista...

486 production stopped 5-6 yrs b4 Xp came...lol

but intel 915 was released barely 1.5 yrs b4 vista release..

does that mean that one has to jump over new hardware everytime a new OS releases when dozens of better working alternatives are there?
because u wanna talk abt dinosaur configs for vista so we talk dinosaur configs for other versions also :)

blackleopard92

In the zone
forgive my ignorance, but the last thing i knew was that vista shuts aero down when a call to direct3d is made. i.e. Aero is shutdown when any games run to maximise performance.
but what u have presented here simply contradicts to the above statement! I think the features listed above are of WDDM driver model.

and a note on these points
gx_saurav said:
Ofcourse both bring a GPU accelerated UI, but tell me, does beryl support hot plugging of another GPU so that u can simply take out the PCIe graphics card & add a new one or add an external GPU to the system & it will automatically start without rebooting the OS cos only the graphics subsystem restarts?
no idea where this could be useful.
gx_saurav said:
or rendering & showing the windows & videos on the screen parallel to the Monitor as a texture in a 3d space?
from what i know, Windows media player classic can be configured to use Directx9 acc to project videos as a texture on screen. even other good video players do the same.

gx_saurav said:
or Using the GPU as a Math co-processor
is it true? I don't think so because if it had been, then we would have seen huge increases in encoding/decoding/pi tests as these are primarily mathematical in nature.
gx_saurav said:
or Better & efficient resource management of the code so that more work can be done in less clock cycle reducing power consumption
either MS has really gone dogs or this is false. No one in their right minds would mix a resource manager and a Windows decorator into a single package!!!
gx_saurav said:
or dynamic clock cycle adjustment so that the GPU can decrease its Memory & core clock cycle to reduce power consumption & heat

or close the unused parts of GPU like 3d engine etc when it is only running a 2d OS?
all these are implemented by graphics drivers.. and have been there since ages.

gx_saurav said:
All the effects, transparency u see in Aero can be achieved in Direct 8.1 class hardware too & even in some cases DirectX 7 class, but then the GPU will need to process a lot of code, instead of which making a DX 9 based DWM engine makes sense cos well...the code is slim in this case.

Do u know that the quality of games in DirectX 10 can be achieved in DirectX 9c too, but the problem is that if the GPU does 100 unit of work to render a scene in DX 10, it will need to do 150 unit of work to show the same quality in DirectX 9c.
well, Directx 10 has an advantage in the fact that time taken for function calls has been cut down to half.. and some things have been moved to GPU side. however, all these shifting are important for graphics industry only.

915 supports Directx9.0, while aero requires 9.0c model. that means pixelshaders/ vertex shaders model 3.
why would a UI need such advanced tools like PS/VS 3.0 to render a UI????
infact, game developers have only started to use them fully about an year back.they never invested in it before because of lack of hardware to support it!!!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ thank u for ur last statement .... there was no hardware support ... MS just made sure that there is hardware :)

in other words wat u said is the vista's UI is next gen ?

blackleopard92

In the zone
iMav said:
^^ thank u for ur last statement .... there was no hardware support ... MS just made sure that there is hardware :)

in other words wat u said is the vista's UI is next gen ?
it's a step in a nice direction , but it's current implementation requires a lotta more of work.

my last statement merely reflected on the fact that aero's requirement of Dx9.0c is waay too high considering the simplicity of the snazziness

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@blackleopad ... in the simplest of words what u meant is that - aero is next gen .... and it uses a technology that has only started to find ground since not more than 18 months .... if thats the case ... then this whole discussion finds a conclusive end .... and that is simply .... vista is far ahead of linux in aero and its UI implementation and hence it doesnt work on dinosaur machines .... maybe the implementation isnt perfect and can be improved ....

@devil i told u bhai ur standing at the wrong end :lol: ....

Well, personally, i cant think of 915 as a dinosaur chipset, specially when Intel :mad: is still shipping it in value laptops. A 486 at the time of Windows XPs launch was a dinosaur chipset and was not being shipped as 'Windows XP Ready'. Plz dont go repeating the difference betwen 'Vista Ready and 'Vista Premium Ready', i understand it, just want to put my point. Surely, Vista is not just AERO, its much much more in terms of underlying technologies and performance. I admire these things in Vista and thats why i am running it on my lappy, its giving me smoother performance as compared to XP. I am just a little annoyed about not being able to try the most advertised feature of Vista even when i have only a year old laptop. Worse thing is, i cant do anything about it right now, since i cant upgrade my chip and i dont have the money to buy another laptop so soon after this.

I know every OS has some annoyances attached with it. Like personally speaking, i dont like the bold and wide looking font rendering of linux. I dont find it easy on my eyes. But linux does have its share of great features that make it a great OS to live with.

So overall, what i want to say is that AERO or Beryl/Compiz Fusion do not make up the whole OS. The point is that i feel a little bad to be left behind just because my graphics card misses a component.

praka123

left this forum longback
Aero cannot be anywhere near compiz-fusion dude!also the gui can be customized to the maximum in Linux if eyecandy means modding.Aero is just another M$ way of show off that failed with Vista+DRM.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
sorry sir ... this time its not me or gx who is saying it but some 1 who i think posts when it means ... leopard bhai ne bola toh bola ... vista uses aero which is an implementation of a technology that coders havnt even learnt to use in its optimum wayy so yes there will be hiccups ... but there will be updates ... its the future thoda upar niche toh hoga hi :)

hare ram hare ram hare krishna hare ram

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
blackleopard92 said:
915 supports Directx9.0, while aero requires 9.0c model. that means pixelshaders/ vertex shaders model 3.

Aero requirs DirectX 9b model, means GeFOrce FX & Radeon 9xxx or above.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
iMav said:
because u wanna talk abt dinosaur configs for vista so we talk dinosaur configs for other versions also :)
So, current hardware for other OS's is prehistoric for Windows?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
didnt u read what blackleopard said ..... vista is next gen man ... it is using technology that the tech world hasnt even started using .... linux isnt even aware of those things and MS has put em in the OS .... :)

praka123

left this forum longback
vista is next gen pffff!# :rolleyes:
Dont u know that Linux or even better BSD kernel are superior?30yrs+ research are underlying behing UNIX model esp BSDs.u want to compare that to Vista?Vista just an eyecandy gaming shell which as of today struggles to survive as with Windows ME.

Why ur wasting time defending a donkey(Window$) that is not urs.ur just a rider.???

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre donkey pe penguin ko aapne bithaya tha ... bhool gaye apna avatar .... penguin ka mu kala kar ke gaddhe pe bitha k apna avatar aapne banaya tha :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom