Beryl on Linux Runs Cool Effects on Intel 915 - What has Microsoft Done to AERO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
if u only want eye candy use windows blind and some aero theme ... u will get ur eye candy :)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Lolz.As if spending money for xp isnt enuf.
Now i gotta buy a software to be able to change themes too.
Thats one thing i totally hate about Xp and Vista.
I gotta buy softwares to change a theme too.
Or sit and hack some dll files so i can use themes.

Looks like with the next version M$ is gonna lock wallpaper changing too.:D

Regards,
ray

Still not getting my point. The eye candy for me also include the 3d rendered windows that do not get white when they are busy. By eye candy i mean the features of AERO that are visible on Surface, which are possible. Have a look at the Fastrack to Windows vista that was given by Digit and see what i mean, i wont repeat that. WindowsBlinds does not support the eye candy (My Definition) fully.

This post was for those who can point out the deep technological issues that i am not aware of, not for creating one more thread for discussing the usual stuff. There are plenty of these MS vs Linux vs Mac threads here.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Interesting thread...

My knowledge is so limited here...

But enjoying every bit of this discussion...

But I still don't know if Compiz/Beryl can be used to create cool interfaces for many applications that need one...And Linux definitely need something like that...(as far as I think).

Please continue...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
rayraven said:
Lolz.As if spending money for xp isnt enuf.
Now i gotta buy a software to be able to change themes too.
Thats one thing i totally hate about Xp and Vista.
I gotta buy softwares to change a theme too.
;lol: see what i mean the lack of common sense of a person is attributed to as the fault of the OS :lol:

u need to buy nothing man :lol: download a free ware click a button and downlad a theme double click on it and voila :lol: man arya has more knowledge abt windows :lol: ....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
In case of Vista, the screen goes black & u see a cursor, the graphics subsystem restarts.

I guess u forgot to understand the real meaning. When the graphics driver changes or needs to be reset, all u see is a black screen & a cursor on it, like dos prompt.

I just wanted to understand why the AERO experience in Windows cannot do the graphical sizzlers on 915 based cards while beryl can, and that too with great smoothness.

Aero is not just about Smooth UI, its about much more which I have already mentioned. Beryl doesn't do half the things aero can do, its just uses a GPU to calculate the Windows instead of CPU.

Why is it not possible to enable only the eye candy functionality that is available on the users hardware

It is possible, like I said before, everything u see in Aero can be achieved in DX 8.1 but the overhead & code will be quite complex. If it wasen't for MS u would still be having 6 years old technology in your onboard GPU. MS just raised the bar for onboard GFX to give better out of the box features for DX 9c & 10 along with hardware acceleration of Videos & what not using the GPU & DirectShow.

If the thing is possible for beryl to give effects on presentation layer of OS, what are the technological differences that caused Microsoft to not keep this layer seperate from other great things present in AERO.

I don't know, the only thing I can say here is that the overhead would be a lot.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
gx_saurav said:
It is possible, like I said before, everything u see in Aero can be achieved in DX 8.1 but the overhead & code will be quite complex. If it wasen't for MS u would still be having 6 years old technology in your onboard GPU. MS just raised the bar for onboard GFX to give better out of the box features for DX 9c & 10 along with hardware acceleration of Videos & what not using the GPU & DirectShow.

then what if someone creates an os requiring 2 sli gfx cards as min req and he tells that he has raised the bar??
what about pc's used just for internet and chatting.do the need 1gb ram ,a dedicated gfx card???what has vista got for them???
ans: a crappy blue interface which sucks and is worse than xp.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gx_saurav said:
I guess u forgot to understand the real meaning. When the graphics driver changes or needs to be reset, all u see is a black screen & a cursor on it, like dos prompt.
LOL! I never _forget_ to understand! Heh.. Maybe you have that problem, not me! What i fail to undestand is the how can the monitor display a cursor when it aint even connected to a graphics card! :rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
Aero is not just about Smooth UI, its about much more which I have already mentioned. Beryl doesn't do half the things aero can do, its just uses a GPU to calculate the Windows instead of CPU.
Isnt that why we have graphics cards? If everything were done on CPU, why does AERO need such high end graphics cards? :rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
It is possible, like I said before, everything u see in Aero can be achieved in DX 8.1 but the overhead & code will be quite complex.
In other words complexity is too much for DX 8.1 to handle.. Which means it _cant_ be achieved in DX 8.1. So please dont twist the truth.

gx_saurav said:
If it wasen't for MS u would still be having 6 years old technology in your onboard GPU. MS just raised the bar for onboard GFX to give better out of the box features for DX 9c & 10 along with hardware acceleration of Videos & what not using the GPU & DirectShow.
LOL! Now what do i say to this! Im speechless!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
abhinandh said:
then what if someone creates an os requiring 2 sli gfx cards as min req and he tells that he has raised the bar??
what about pc's used just for internet and chatting.do the need 1gb ram ,a dedicated gfx card???what has vista got for them???
ans: a crappy blue interface which sucks and is worse than xp.
:lol: lets try running xp on a 486 and see how productive it can be .... :lol:

PS: for ur ignorant general knowledge u can theme the basic vista too :) vishal bhai .... yeh lin boys ko aap ke kaam ke baare malum nahi yaar ... sorry yaar

kalpik said:
In other words complexity is too much for DX 8.1 to handle.. Which means it _cant_ be achieved in DX 8.1. So please dont twist the truth.
Dude, this is what MS does, it gives you false impression. they say.. oh.. it will work on this and this.. when it plainly and simply and practically just don't work on that! Even on better hardware which runs 9.0c!

Now, he's saying Aero is not all about eye candy! I understand the technical aspect of it.. but what do all you of you think is MS doing? MS is advertising Aero as 'eye candy', they don't say aero is not just about eye candy.. and when someone gets to it.. oh wait.. it's not about eye candy..it's more than that.. wtf? Aero is the main selling point of MS to the general consumer not what the hell you can do with swapping graphics card while your computer is on!

This is exactly what pisses of general consumers.. just twising reality to make it appear as though something great! while when you get to the reality.. it's something totally different from what they had advertised!

I don't know what I should say about these fanboys who follow the policy of microsoft by twisting reality.:mad:

It simply doesn't work on DX8.1!! hell, it doesn't even work on 915 chipset with DX9. So stop this crap about.. it could work on DX8.1!! what are you trying to do? we're not fools like the one's who think they have more common sense than IT manager swearing at MS for the crappy update situation! :cool:

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
iMav said:
:lol: lets try running xp on a 486 and see how productive it can be .... :lol:

PS: for ur ignorant general knowledge u can theme the basic vista too :) vishal bhai .... yeh lin boys ko aap ke kaam ke baare malum nahi yaar ... sorry yaar

Nope..I disagree...
MS did bad ....
I can't even install Vista Basic since I have 256 MB RAM and still I can install latest linux.

All the effects and stuff Vista gives can be achieved in XP (You sure know what windows blind is? right?)

What I mean to say that Windows always release OS which are not 4 this world.... Now do u know exact figure..How many ppl have 1 GB rams and Gfx cards at the time of release of Vista..?
Atleast I didn't have... and also 100s of ppl I know dont have that.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Help~Is~Here said:
we're not fools like the one's who think they have more common sense than IT manager swearing at MS for the crappy update situation! :cool:
its not MS fault that u cant do ur job :lol: every1 has problems while working if u cant handle it just quit dont blame some 1 else for ur incompetence :)

a misconception that many ppl have is that o aero is everything that vista has .... and if aero doesnt work vista is useless ..... os x is exclusive to itself vista is exclusive to better hardware ... dont want it dont install it .... if ur system isnt capable to run it doesnt mean that the OS is bad .... xp cant be used on 486 ... holy sh1t xp sux coz it can be used properly on 486 .... damn u MS i want xp on 486 .... :lol: what r u talking yaar :lol:

kalpik

@iMav: why do you people always quote and reply to the "side" comments, and not the main ones?

iMav said:
its not MS fault that u cant do ur job :lol: every1 has problems while working if u cant handle it just quit dont blame some 1 else for ur incompetence :)

I've already answered your question about your incompetence to understand plain logic

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...2&postcount=19

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@kalpik: the only comment u have here is that aero cant run on dinosaur machines where as beryl can ... anything else

@helpless i have already replied there ;)

kalpik

iMav said:
@kalpik: the only comment u have here is that aero cant run on dinosaur machines where as beryl can ... anything else
Isnt this what this thread is all about? Oh im sooooooooo sorry for being on topic :rolleyes: I also demanded some proof from GX (or if you can prove what he said..).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya so it doesnt work kya karun .... bhangra ... its much more than what windows blind (beryl alternative for windows) is :) ....

kalpik

iMav said:
ya so it doesnt work kya karun .... bhangra ...
Point proved.. Main batata hun kya kar.. Please STOP defending MS in each and every reply of yours.. If you dont have anything productive to contribute to the thread, please dont post!

iMav said:
its much more than what windows blind (beryl alternative for windows) is :) ....
Please dont make me laugh so much! My ribs hurt (really, im seeing a doctor for that!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom