Beryl on Linux Runs Cool Effects on Intel 915 - What has Microsoft Done to AERO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Help~Is~Here said:
God, when will these Microsoftians understand what an end user really wants?
dont need read further a stupid comment as this just shows who makes a joke out of whom .... the company with the largest market share ... how can some 1 be numero uno for more than a decade and not know what to sell and how to sell :lol: help u seriously dont have any idea of what and how business is and how it is run u say ur in some indusry for what 10 yrs .... but dude u hav sh1t idea abt what business is man ....

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
How dare you compare VIsta with Linux?Linux is maybe a hundred miles ahead of Windows.('personal opinion' please don't start a flame war here)
vish786 said:
unbelievable someone said it... :lol:.
Why is it unbelievable?Isn't it quite obvious.

@gx-hot swapping of video cards hmmmm......very nice but who is gonna try it out?I mean I wont even touch it when PC is up and running.

Hey gx and iMav-please do check out Compiz-fusion(use gutsy gibbon) and you will see for yourself how smooth it is compared to Aero.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^agreed but this thread is dedicated to aero vs. beryl\compiz.

and what other departments do you think Vista is ahead of linux?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gx_saurav said:
Hmm...lots of misconception, & I m not feeling sleepy tonight anyway, time to clear things up

Wow....Do i have to mock u again on your ignorence?

Lolz...so, u think the only thing aero is a GPU accelerated UI, same as Beryl...u really have no idea what aero is.

Ofcourse both bring a GPU accelerated UI, but tell me, does beryl support hot plugging of another GPU so that u can simply take out the PCIe graphics card & add a new one or add an external GPU to the system & it will automatically start without rebooting the OS cos only the graphics subsystem restarts?

or dynamic memory allocation for the GPU despite of having 128 or 256 MB of Dedicated GPU RAM so that the GPU can use system RAM as a page file?

or GPU virtualisation due to which a GPU can run multiple threads like running a 3D game in VMWare while also playing another 3D Game in host OS?

or rendering & showing the windows & videos on the screen parallel to the Monitor as a texture in a 3d space?

or Using the GPU as a Math co-processor

or Better & efficient resource management of the code so that more work can be done in less clock cycle reducing power consumption

or dynamic clock cycle adjustment so that the GPU can decrease its Memory & core clock cycle to reduce power consumption & heat

or close the unused parts of GPU like 3d engine etc when it is only running a 2d OS?

Wake up boy, Aero is not just eye candy, it is much more. Beryl is just eye candy, try hot plugging a graphics card in a Linux system running beryl & then tell us all here whether it crashes or not.

The system requirement for aero are not much considering what it does. Beryl requires less system resource & a OpenGL 1.5 class GPU is all u need because it is only a GPU accelerated UI running on top of XServer. Aero is everything on its own, it owns the GPU compleately.

All the effects, transparency u see in Aero can be achieved in Direct 8.1 class hardware too & even in some cases DirectX 7 class, but then the GPU will need to process a lot of code, instead of which making a DX 9 based DWM engine makes sense cos well...the code is slim in this case.

Do u know that the quality of games in DirectX 10 can be achieved in DirectX 9c too, but the problem is that if the GPU does 100 unit of work to render a scene in DX 10, it will need to do 150 unit of work to show the same quality in DirectX 9c.
WOW! Could you please give some link explaining and proving even 10% of what all you said in your post?

P.S. Dont mind, but you are known for and have been caught lying many times on this forum. So i just dont believe what you say.. I need proof. Ill gladly apologise if you are able to give me proof, especially for the one that lets you hot swap your graphics card. :)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Hot swap a graphics card on desktop?? LMAO.

How is that even possible? let's say your desktop is on, you open up the box, pull out the card... and put another in..... all without shutting down the system..and what happens during this non-gfx card period...what appears on the screen.....I guess its some patented secret method of Micro$oft.

No thanks, but we are happy with our low brained Compiz eye candy :D

EDIT: I seriously would like to know how you swap it though. Please enlighten me.

EDIT: And if your talking about CompactPCI hot swap, rest assured its much more laborious than just pulling out and plugging in, create a runtime image and all that, better off with the normal method.., and as I see it, is only applicable in heavy-duty server situations, not on desktop.

Last edited:
lolz.. thanks guys.. for a sec I thought I was alone in this "look how I can wear my pant contest" :D

When this thread is about eye candy on decent hardware, yet these fanboys bring in something more to say that is irrelevant to the topic. @IMav, we all know why MS has a larger market share.. Infact there is another thread running about something that they have been doing all along.. forcing people.. but please don't start your arguments here.

Keep this place clean and stick to the topic. From what has been posted here.. it has been beyond doubt that "Aero is a failure on decent hardware". Argue on that if you want not on how you can swap your pants while the PC is running escpecially when graphics cards clearly mention in the instructions NOT to pull out the card while the PC is on!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Help~Is~Here said:
When this thread is about eye candy on decent hardware, yet these fanboys bring in something more to say that is irrelevant to the topic.

You said it urself.They're fanboys.Thats what they do for a living.

WakeUp > Open Digit Forums > See if someone is bashing M$ or prasing linux or apple > Bash them as much as possible > Sleep with the feeling that u've made a difference.

Standard M$ fanboy day :p

Regards,
ray

rayraven said:
You said it urself.They're fanboys.Thats what they do for a living.

WakeUp > Open Digit Forums > See if someone is bashing M$ or prasing linux or apple > Bash them as much as possible > Sleep with the feeling that u've made a difference.

Standard M$ fanboy day :p

Regards,
ray

You forgot one more thing.. 'Also be an MS spokesperson' Source

Anyways.. lets try to keep the thread neat.. lets stick to the topic.

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
beryl gave me blank screen ...like screen of death ..how to go to gui in ubuntu from terminal ... . like startx in rh
so rebooted

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Help~Is~Here said:
Keep this place clean and stick to the topic. From what has been posted here.. it has been beyond doubt that "Aero is a failure on decent hardware".
it depends on what ur decen is and what my decent is ..... so it doesnt make sh1t of differnece whether u call it as a failure or no ... im using i love it .... my dad is using it he loves it .... my frenz are using it they love it .... 512 mb ram and no dedciated gfx is by no means a decent hardware ... entry level dedicated gfx and 1gig ram is decent ..... go in the market u will come to know .... and plz dont give the crap abt u being in the it ind. coz in the past u have well displayed ur experience and expertise :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The_Devil_Himself said:
@gx-hot swapping of video cards hmmmm......very nice but who is gonna try it out?I mean I wont even touch it when PC is up and running.

How about adding an external graphics card via USB or ExpressSlot to a Laptop with your laptop running all along.

How about incresing the ammount of RAM available to the gfx card for games etc by using the system RAM as a GPU page file...does these ring a bell?

I need proof. Ill gladly apologise if you are able to give me proof, especially for the one that lets you hot swap your graphics card.

Check MSDN forums, I m busy these days so not coming online much.

Hot swap a graphics card on desktop?? LMAO.

How is that even possible? let's say your desktop is on, you open up the box, pull out the card... and put another in..... all without shutting down the system..and what happens during this non-gfx card period...what appears on the screen.....I guess its some patented secret method of Micro$oft.

The feature was first innovated by ATI in form of VPU recoverer, which used to reset the graphics driver in case of a GPU failure due to temprature etc. In case of Vista, the screen goes black & u see a cursor, the graphics subsystem restarts.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
take at look at this gx:
mediator said:
Swapping graphics card? AFAIK even a small change in hardware can cause VISTA to deactivate!
READ MORE
How about incresing the ammount of RAM available to the gfx card for games etc by using the system RAM as a GPU page file...does these ring a bell?
This is called Turbocache i.e. the use of system RAM by graphics card.......and it was innovated by nVidia(or ATI) long ago.........and it was highly criticized because System RAMs are far slower than the kind of memory required by graphic cards.It can make your system crawl.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
guys MS is owned by Bill gates and not God ... glitches will happen doesnt mean what it makes is bad .... if it was so bad i wonder how come it manages to still rule the roost ....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gx_saurav said:
How about adding an external graphics card via USB or ExpressSlot to a Laptop with your laptop running all along.
Proof please (that linux cant do it. You can restart xserver by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace).

gx_saurav said:
Proof please (that it increases perfomance. even if it does, linux can do it too, just as it can do "ReadyBoost").

gx_saurav said:
Check MSDN forums, I m busy these days so not coming online much.
If you dont have time, dont post it either! if you cany back it up!

gx_saurav said:
The feature was first innovated by ATI in form of VPU recoverer, which used to reset the graphics driver in case of a GPU failure due to temprature etc. In case of Vista, the screen goes black & u see a cursor, the graphics subsystem restarts.
How the hell can you see a cursor when you are replacing your graphics card! I mean where do you plug your monitor so that you can see the cursor :confused:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
kalpik said:
How the hell can you see a cursor when you are replacing your graphics card! I mean where do you plug your monitor so that you can see the cursor :confused:

@kalpik
Now thats what i call OWNED.
Hats off to mate.

Regards,
ray

Guys, Guys, Guys, i think most of you are going off topic. The question is not about fanboyism. I just wanted to understand why the AERO experience in Windows cannot do the graphical sizzlers on 915 based cards while beryl can, and that too with great smoothness. I understand that MS would not want the new windows experience to be jerky and so they had lifted up the system requirements for a card to support WDDM driver and therefore Windows AERO.
I thanks the gx_saurav to point out the other benefits of AERO coz untill now i was under impression that AERO is just about graphics accelerated shell. But if its a technology rooted deep in OS that provides a platform that can be used in future to create a much more feature rich and better user experience, I have no complains. Hardware will always phase out some time or the other as technology progresses. I can somewhat also understand although not fully, why vista needs a hardware scheduler in the GPU.

But the question is, Why is it not possible to enable only the eye candy functionality that is available on the users hardware, ie. why not make it scalable? If the thing is possible for beryl to give effects on presentation layer of OS, what are the technological differences that caused Microsoft to not keep this layer seperate from other great things present in AERO. Plus the fact that AERO worked on 915 in beta versions of vista, and that too smoothly, makes me think about what made them go for this step. Anyways, i'll try to find some more information on this at MSDN etc. Thank you all for participating here but plz try to control your urges to make unnecessary arguments.

I am not going to leave Windows just because i cant get AERO, that'll be very funny. Windows environment does have its own value just like Linux, Unix, and Mac have. At this point of time at least i cant live on using just one of them. I love working on Windows, i like linux very much and i enjoy working on a MAC. Common guys, its a united world, we are technology enthusiasts, we study technologies and we use them for our benefit. What's there to fight on it?

I cannot say at my current knowledge standard that why would anyone need to swap their graphics card, but the GPU reset thing is good. I once had such kind of problem on my home system where the GPU stopped responding sometimes but to reset it the system had to be restarted forcefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom