Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameya.gargesh

Broken In
Thanks to everyone who helped me choose the right power supply. My PC configuration now is-
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: 2x4GB kingston ValueRAM
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli w/o PSU
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W Bronze power supply
Monitor: Intex 17 inch (basic work) and for gaming LG 32" LCD TV (HDMI)
Joystick: Logitech Attack 3

Very happy with the Seasonic Unit, almost no noise and the warranty of 5 years was what swayed me towards it.

ameya.gargesh

Broken In
@topgear Not as of now :mrgreen: speed of the cpu and gpu is enough for the games I am playing right now. Might think about it if fps drops below playable in games I play. Will definitely need some help while OCing though.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Guys, my friend has a iBall 223-400(sounds strange but he says he has this)
He wants to put a 5670 or 6670.
I think it can handle the 5670?

Buy still I have bad feelings about it. Should I tell his PC will fry if he puts that card on?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you are right - that PSu TF's friend has is actually a 250W unit and should not be used for a HD5670 like card - his friend better buy a PSU.

@topgear Not as of now :mrgreen: speed of the cpu and gpu is enough for the games I am playing right now. Might think about it if fps drops below playable in games I play. Will definitely need some help while OCing though.

Just create a thread when you are ready to plunge into the world of OC ;-)

aadishvaar

Broken In
Thank You The Sorcerer for taking so much efforts in writting such informative article, mostly people (even i also) was driven by the watts written on smps & cheap smps, as i was thinking if i am getting a 3 years warrenty then product is good quality. but forget to note that if it fails to work as desired & sends improper current (even if it is working - ie. not failed-dead) it will make my other components dead.
once again thnx for being such nice person :clap2:

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
:D

Also, to those who are still recommending VX450 units, please make sure you take a look at specific model/rev number on the packaging as well. But its best if people move on from this unit. There's Seasonic S12II 430/520. Antec has some good units but unsure of the RMA procedue, so do let me know.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Need a PSU within Rs. 6000 for a friend.

AMD Phenom II 955
Compatible motherboard
4 GB DDR3
Cooler Master Elite 430
ATI 4850 (will be getting GTX 560 Ti within a month)
2 x 1 1 TB HDD
1 ODD
Cooler Master Hyper 212

I was thinking of getting Corsair TX 650 V2 for him. But that would be overkill. He wants a PSU that can run his 560 Ti fine & some headroom above in case he goes for AMD or Intel Hexa/Octa cores..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
A GTX 560Ti can consume alone close to ~200W and a P II 955BE when Oced can consume around ~400 ( a lot more if a FX8100 series cpu is OCed ) - GS600W will be pushed to the limits if both are OCed but for stock speed GS600 is good enough ;-)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hmm.. So that means he needs a PSU > 600 Watts. right? I think that Corsair GS700 or TX 650 V2 should be fine. Both have the same price.. Which one? I trust 650 V2 because I have that too and it is 80+ certified..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well since budget is 6000 use it completely and get a SeaSonic SS-850AT @6.3k :D

He wont have to worry for future upgrage too.

out of the ones you mentioned I‘d say the Tx should be better

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
*i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/hgps/asdfasgh.png

i am currently running,

AMD phenom II X4 B25 [AMD Athlon II X3 425 with unlocked 4th core]
4GB DDR3 1333MHz corsair value select RAM
Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2P rev.3.1 mobo
sparkle GT240 1GB DDR3
1X 92mm exhaust fan
1X WD caviar green HDD
NO ODD

i just noticed that when i play DCS black shark or DCS A-10C warthog. voltage on +12V rail drops from 12.16V to 11.33V [or b/w 11.33v to 11.78v]

is it safe ??

rider

as Kratos
i want to sell my 1 year XFX HD 5670 1 GB DDR5 model.. I bought it for 5.5k for how much should I sell?

Last edited:

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Well since budget is 6000 use it completely and get a SeaSonic SS-850AT @6.3k :D

He wont have to worry for future upgrage too.

out of the ones you mentioned I‘d say the Tx should be better

i like what he says but wast the glaciatech 950 6.4k too or has it phased out?

if hes an overclocker wouldn he be awre about modular units are 650 v2 and ss 850at modular?

other vise i think the seasonic x series need a mention here.

*www.smcinternational.in/index.php?...tegory_id=92&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=155

u guys know if this units any good?
*www.theitwares.com/seasonic-ss750js-750w-plus-certified-active-power-supply-p-2203.html

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
wut rashi?? XFX is the most premium brand for a graphic card.. It also comes with 3yrs warranty.
Also where should I sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom