Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder

Tech addict
My CPU configuration : E7300, ASUS P5KPL-CM M.board,PALIT HD 4850 512MB DDR3, 640GBx2 HDDs, DVD writer, CREATIVE X-FI XTEREME GAMER, 2GB DDR2 800MHZ RAM,

My main uses downloading 2:00 AM to 8:00 AM,little bit of gaming, and watching HD movies. I want to have best value for money product for my needs with good energy efficiency.

What are my cheapest and worthy options?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Allready mentioned. I did mention the psu recommendations for a reason. Keeping only the current config in mind, vx450 fits the bill.

Jetlag

Right off the assembly line
Hi guyz, please help me,

I am planning on buying the corsair VX450w but i have read many times that PSUs with active PFCs require a sinewave UPS to work properly. I have Iball 630 UPS which produces modified sinewave output.

What should i do? Go for a non-PFC PSU which would cost cheaper or buy a sinewave UPS which would cost more apart from the PSU which is already costing 4K.

abhadi

Broken In
how about ..
Tagan TG600-U37 600W SMPS(Max Power upto 700W) - Rs. 4200

for intel i7, HD 4870 config.... wouldn't it be enough considering that i might do overclocking some times. . . if not can u suggest me the cheapest and best SMPS for it ...

Thanks in Advance ... :)

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Operational temperatures is unknown. Higher the operational temps, higher chances of efficiency dropping down.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Hey how r zebronics platinum or ball black stalion psus. As I mentioned earlier my friend is using zebby 700 w and is running well.
Shall I take it for my phenom 2 940
With asus m3a 78 T, w.d 1 t.b hdd + seagate 500 gb,gpu is xfx gts 250,and two optical drives.
Thankz in adv....'
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Hey how r zebronics platinum or ball black stalion psus. As I mentioned earlier my friend is using zebby 700 w and is running well.
Shall I take it for my phenom 2 940
With asus m3a 78 T, w.d 1 t.b hdd + seagate 500 gb,gpu is xfx gts 250,and two optical drives.
Thankz in adv....'

Last edited:
OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Hey how r zebronics platinum or ball black stalion psus.
Wouldn't risk it. cx400 is for 3.2k and comes with active pfc. Seeing what you planned for your rig- vx450 is a no brainer.
As I mentioned earlier my friend is using zebby 700 w and is running well.
I would recommend to read the psu guide properly in that case, I am sure the question you asked is allready answered on the guide.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I have a query.

Config is like this:
P2 X4 940 BE
Palit HD4870 1GB GDDR5

Now I'm in a fix between two PSUs:-
1. Corsair VX550W for Rs. 5,500 odd
2. Tagan Stone Rock TG600-U37 600W for Rs. 4,600 only

Now Corsair PSU's give 85% efficiency, but Tagan Stone Rock PSUs supposedly give a 83% efficiency. ANd it can handle power upto 700W and a GTX285 + Core i7 work flawlessly on it.

But it's low cost makes me a bit wary that is it really that good. And on the other hand, I really need to go for a cheaper one(a.k.a. TAGAN).

So which one should I opt for. Reply ASAP.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Now Corsair PSU's give 85% efficiency, but Tagan Stone Rock PSUs supposedly give a 83% efficiency...
But on which operational temps? I wasnt able to find about the operational temps of the tagan TG600-U37. You still have antec 650w and cm real power 550 as a good alternate.

deadkiss 009

I like to FIFA
@ The Sorcerer ,
You rock man, very nice article. One more vote from me to make this thread sticky.
I recently bought a Corsair TX 750 for my next gpu gtx 260/275/280 with my own sense. Your article proved my decision was perfect.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
But which one gives single rail, I have no idea about that.

For me, Hrd Core is actually 4Ghz on air, not higher than that.

And I'm really on the budget so is there a go ahead for Tagan, it beats competition by Rs. 1000

surinder

Tech addict
I was almost done with Antec-EA 650 but guess what comp@ddict added all new dimension Tagan Stone Rock TG600-U37 600W.

Is it better from Antec-EA 650 or anything else around 5k ?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Following notes updated:
Note: Powersupply advice and "myths" shouldn't be over-exaggerated unless its a bad powersupply or if there is a better psu available for the same price. Do note there have been cases of burnt computers which have been very serious such as the link below:
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Citi ... 357502.cms
Its important to have proper wiring, earthing, sockets, UPS, surge protector at the same time as well. More advance the technology gets, so must the source. Electricity is a double edge sword, respect it and you get respect. You play around with it and you will learn that electricity has a pretty electrifying sense of humour the hard way.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I ball has come out with a new "Sprinter" series.

Its not too bad. (Not cheap either)

I inspected it at the store. Its construction is solid and feels heavy. I wouldnt mind using it in a meduim range desktop. Its definately better than a VIP solution IMHO.

Pricing:
Sprinter 500 - Rs.2575/-
Black Stallion 600 APFC - Rs.4750/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom