Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I was almost done with Antec-EA 650 but guess what comp@ddict added all new dimension Tagan Stone Rock TG600-U37 600W.

Is it better from Antec-EA 650 or anything else around 5k ?
All I know is that the Tagan 600W PSU can deliver a max of 700W and can handle a GTX285 and Core i7 with ease.

surinder

Tech addict
Antec-EA 650 advertised to deliver 650 watts continuous power yes of course with more then 80% efficiency all the way but I don't know about its ability of max output. Anybody have any idea about it?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I got it confirmed that t600-u37 is not as true as what people claim. Tagan also didnt reveal many detailed specs as well- operational temps is one of them. For 4.7k, why would anyone buy a zebronics or an iball :p.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
didnt get where zebronics in 4.7K came in the discussion :D

about t600-u37, well I do not think that everything can be 100% accurate, but it surely gives regular 600W, can give power upto 700W well the corsair ones are also considered to do similar job, just that corsair does not advertises it like that.

And if Antec-EA 650 has continous power of 650W then it canhandle to give more than 700W also.

So none of these are any bad choice for hardcore OCing or any such.
I do not think VX550 max power would be more than 650W or so. So, a final logical thought would be money and VX550 is little more costly for the requirement. but it certainly gives allout more than 550W continous.
But then if you are spending as much as 5.5K odd why not go for modular PSU. like tagan BZ600

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ zebby psu came into point @ post #40.
Edit: Whoops its iball :p. My bad. edited.

vx450 is actually a seasonic 500w which gives power upto 600w- 650w easily. vx550 will give 700-750w on maximum load easily with operational temps of 50 degrees celcius. Corsairs are always rated way too conservatively.

comp@ddict

vx450 is actually a seasonic 500w which gives power upto 600w- 650w easily
Very true, Corsair knew that their VX450W is very good and powerful too, but they decided to play it safe and thus the name.

comp@ddict

Very true, Corsair knew that their VX450W is very good and powerful too, but they decided to play it safe and thus the name.

comp@ddict

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Update: Antec EA430 is added on lower end psu.
There's nothing to play safe though. Why play safe with a psu which is capable of handling more? But the reason is because different companies have different "idealogy" of labelling. I guess its better to buy a psu with 400w on proven normal load against a psu with proven peak load.

Last edited:

shaunak

Tux Fan
I got it confirmed that t600-u37 is not as true as what people claim. Tagan also didnt reveal many detailed specs as well- operational temps is one of them. For 4.7k, why would anyone buy a zebronics or an iball :p.

Cheapest 600W APFC PSU.

====

Anyway,
I was talking bout the Sprinter series, which is marked at 2.5K, so I guess it will retail at 1.5K :grin:.

Its solidly constructed and cheap. Felt better than the VIP ones to me at the shop. Decent choice for a mediocore system.

For some reason the guy wouldnt let me measure the short ckt amperage :lol:

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ No actually cheapest psu with active pfc (according to me) is corsair cx400 and antec EA430 and u37 is actually lesser than 80% and topower psu have a pretty bad list of manufactured OEMS in the present as well. That will obviously explain they arent any good reviews of this unit tested on a load tester.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Update: Point added under the faq question:
Why would an el cheapo rated 800w give only 390w? Where are the rest going to? How do I judge a power supply?
Oh yeah this is also another very important point that many so called technical sound leave. Many companies brand themselves as 80+. But that's not all true. You see when AC is converted to DC, no matter how good a cooling is there will be a level of heat. On top if it, ambience can also add up to temperature on the power supply as wek. Do note that if the powersupply gets hotter, efficiency is will drop tremendously. This is called operational temps. Many reputed brands are well known are veterans because of transparency of details. Some do not reveal the operational temp details. By today's standards the efficiency is calculated on operational temps of 40 degrees celcius~50 degrees celcius. If the operational temps are not mentioned, most likely its tested under operational temps of 25 degrees celcius, like in older generation power supply like the coolermaster 600w extreme series. It is therefore vital to check a series of reviews and see if all the details are mentioned- as there are reviews which is used as, in reality more effective form of advertisement. If the details are not mentioned, better off taking the alternate one which has all the details. Besides why would a company hide the details if a power supply is good- unless its bad in reality.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
anyone know hw is new Zebronics Pro sreies...looking at the specs, they seem very promising...not like the old platinum series.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I heard the newer ones are actually HEC OEM. ADDA fans and much better quality than the previous generation of the pro series. I think these are with active pfc but it needs to be tested properly by a mod at TE forums . So its going to take a while to put on the list.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
PRO-500------2850/-
PRO-600-----3700/-
PRO-350-----1850/-
PRO-550------3200/-
PRO-E750----6900/-
PRO-M500----3500/-
PRO-M600----4400/-
PRO-M800----9000/-
But I am not sure if the naming of the old version of pro are as same as new version of pro psu. If you see the sticker of the new version of pro, there is no UL number mentioned on the psu so its more difficult to identify which one is new and which one is old. But if someone can confirm if the boxing of the old generation zebronics pro is different from new generation pro, that's the only way the end users can find the different from old to new.

Last edited:
OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Its approx 4k. The psu should have been cheaper though. Corsair vx450 will still be a better buy against this done mainly due to the price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom