Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
Got a Zeb. PRO-550W from our dealer for testing yesterday :) Hav to see hw gud the PRO series performs in real-world tests apart from their great specs on paper....btw this is heavier than any 500-600W PSUs I hav ever seen!!! The built quality seems the best so far. Will post soon hw it performs...

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Google and download occt. Run 3 hour cpu testing. After the test is concluded it will give you a graph screenshot of +12v and +3.3v rail during the test. Its best if the system is on default clocks as of now. I will appreciate if you can put the screenshot of that graph over here as well.

mrsam1999

Broken In
I recently bought an i7 rig (920, 3 gb ddr3 1333mhz, seagate 320 gb hdd, lg dvd writer, xfx 9800 gtx+) with this zebronics realwatts pro 600 psu. Now my video card requires 2 6 pin connectors (actually this is 65nm overclocked 9800gtx). But then, i am having to disable HT and also 2 cores of the i7 or else in full fledged gaming, the system is hanging within 2 minutes. I am not overclocking anything. Is the psu low for my config ?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
*facepalm*
i7's average TDP itself is 130w. Its only now that certain zebronics pro versions are good btu that also for systems which demands pretty average power. You will need a power supply which has low voltage ripple and high efficiency for a high performance system. Its obvious- you will need a good power supply.
Here the problem arrives. If zebronics realwatts is replaced with a better psu, the old psu might have already done some damage. So 1st thing first get a better a better psu ASAP- something like tx650. Then you will have to stress test it and see if other components are working properly or not. If they are working- consider yourself lucky. If they are not- be prepared to get them replaced.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
*facepalm*
i7's average TDP itself is 130w. Its only now that certain zebronics pro versions are good btu that also for systems which demands pretty average power. You will need a power supply which has low voltage ripple and high efficiency for a high performance system. Its obvious- you will need a good power supply.
Here the problem arrives. If zebronics realwatts is replaced with a better psu, the old psu might have already done some damage. So 1st thing first get a better a better psu ASAP- something like tx650. Then you will have to stress test it and see if other components are working properly or not. If they are working- consider yourself lucky. If they are not- be prepared to get them replaced.

Last edited:

mrsam1999

Broken In
Actually with this zebronics psu, i can play all latest games at highest settings no problem. Can u specify what stress test program i should run to test for damage ?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Are you sure you wanna do that? Dont blame me if stress test damages your system :p. I rather not take chances and prefer to put 1000 buck more for the sake of being hassle free. I dont have time to give things for replacement and the hassle at times is just not worth it:
Use prime 95 for single core, latest orthos and occt for dual/quad proccies. For checking the system's stability, run the tests for 4-5 hours. But if you are checking overclock stability, you will have to tun orthos 10 hour blend test to make sure its 24/7 stable. Not that I am saying 5 hours run is not enough :p.

anoopingenius

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I have a 3yr old system with the following configuration:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Asus A8Ne Motherboard
2x1GB DDR RAM
XFX 8600GT XXX Ed.
2 SATA HDDs

All these were powered by a Zeberonics 400W PSU and worked fine until yesterday when the PSU went bust (or so I think). After a lot of googling and reading a lot of posts by The Sorcerer and others, I have come to the conclusion that the system was underpowered big time.

I figured that the 12v rail was only providing 9A. (The system originally came with a 6600Le Gfx card, 1 GB RAM n 1 HDD)

Even after the upgrade to 8600GT the system did work fine for 3-4 months. So I cant figure out how the whole thing worked with just 9A. I have found that the 8600GT itself would require 18A min.

Now for the new PSU (hoping all the components are still intact). I was planning to pick up the VIP 500W silver but it is not available anywhere. The CM 390, 460 both have 18A 12v connectors. My Motherboard, If I have got it right has only one 24 pin EATX and one 4 pin ATX12v inputs. So how do I make use of dual 12v connectors on these PSUs (each of which is limited to 12A)?

So is my choice limited to PSUs like the Corsair cx400 which provides 30A on a single rail?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You have antec EA 430w. There's also coolermaster real power 460w as well. See I made the guide so that people can identify a good power supply for their system, so its not necessary that the recommendations that I made are the best.

anoopingenius

If I need atleast 18A for the Graphics card (the xxx edition is factory overclocked, so it could require more), how much more would I require to power the rest? i.e. What else is powered by 12v?

I don't think I have understood this 12v1, 12v2 concept correctly. There is only one 24 pin connector and one 4+4 pin connector in all PSUs. So how does this dual mode (12v1, 12v2) work? I thought there would be 2x 24 pin connectors and corresponding inputs on the motherboard.

I am not just going by your recommendations of PSUs but by the power req of my system. It so happens that your recommendations would suit me fine, if I can only figure out the concept of this dual mode 12v power.

mrsam1999

Broken In
A few days back i benchmarked my rig with everest. I had only 2 cores enabled, turbo and qpi power management enabled too. The tests ran ok, but then, when i started 'painkiller' the game, my pc immediately restarted. I then disabled qpi power management, and things were allright. Now i have disabled turbo mode but enabled all 4 cores and my system is running fine. I have also disabled EIST but kept c0 and c1E states enabled because i think my system is having problems managing voltage and speed to the cpu and chipset. So its better to not let cpu speed get up or down..make it stay put @ stock 2.66 ghz speeds. I am thinking should i select cpu idle state to 'high performance' ? so that it runs at all times in a fixed speed and stepping ?

I dare not run anymore benchmarkers like prime 95 and stuff.

anoopingenius

I think I've figured the 12v concept out (correct me if I'm wrong). There are two different 12v lines/rails (limited to 18A by the ATX12v 2.2 std.) feeding the 24 pin connector. So the connector is always one.

So the CM Extreme power plus 390W should suffice with 18A+16A 12V lines as I think in terms of wattage 390 is sufficient to power my system.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
A few days back i benchmarked my rig with everest. I had only 2 cores enabled, turbo and qpi power management enabled too. The tests ran ok, but then, when i started 'painkiller' the game, my pc immediately restarted. I then disabled qpi power management, and things were allright. Now i have disabled turbo mode but enabled all 4 cores and my system is running fine. I have also disabled EIST but kept c0 and c1E states enabled because i think my system is having problems managing voltage and speed to the cpu and chipset. So its better to not let cpu speed get up or down..make it stay put @ stock 2.66 ghz speeds. I am thinking should i select cpu idle state to 'high performance' ? so that it runs at all times in a fixed speed and stepping ?

I dare not run anymore benchmarkers like prime 95 and stuff.
Let's get some terminology right
Benchmarking software are not stress testing softwares. So its not necessary benchmarking software will stress your system- it will only test how fast is that hardware component. Stress testing software doesnt not test a power supply too 100% load as well- it will only pull the power based on the system. Stress testing softwares do not blow your system- unless you are using substandard/defect product or you are over volting a component.
So to answer your question, you will have to tell me your system configuration.

Last edited:

anoopingenius

On the contrary, I think it might fall short or cut it too close. Logic: The combined max wattage on 12v is 216W, which means a max of 18 A. Isn't it?

So I think I'll go with the 460W one instead. It has a Max 12v Wattage of 312= 26A.

I just need to find out one thing: If the maximum 18A on 12V1 will support the graphics card+ 2HDD+ other peripherals. Can you help me on this?

Thanks a lot for your guide. It started me on to all what I learnt in the past 2 days!

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Mathematically speaking- yes. On papers it is supposed to be 26 amps. But in real world is somewhat different. Like I said, split rails will have some sort of DC loss compared to single rail- but that fact is also depending more on the load as well. DC power cannot be calculated but something that can be seen via a load tester. Most probably it gives 22-24 amps in DC. We should also consider the fact that this is a passive pfc- which kinda sucks since you arent able to get VIP psu. In your current rig, it wont be an issue. Split voltage funda differs from company to company so its pretty confusing.
Thanks for the appreciation BTW! I write guides based on the behaviour of the majority of the people so I usually write for 1 forum. But since this guide is pretty understandable, I have put this on majority of the forum who either have no guide- or an outdated/wrong one.

mrsam1999

Broken In
Sorcerer here is my complete PC configuration:

Intel core i7 920 @ 2.66 ghz, c0/c1 revision,
intel dx58so x58 motherboard,
kingston 3 gb ddr3 1333 mhz RAM,
xfx 9800 gtx+ 512 mb video card (oced version of 65nm 9800 gtx)
Seagate 320 gb hdd,
LG dvd writer,
Acer AL1706 17" lcd,
Old creative speakers,
Zebronics realwatts pro 600 watts psu,
Frontech keyboard and mouse.

Please guide me on the qpi management, EIST, cpu idle power state in relevance to the power draw thru PSU. Why did my pc restart just after i completed the everest benchmarks ? And since then this happened 4 more times while just watching movies, playing really old games etc. Did i set something really conflicting in the bios ? I didn't overclock anything !!

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
i7 consumes a lot of power- same goes for 9800gtx+. Although I find it strange you are using such a firepower on a slapstick silly 17 inch screen Can you give me a cpu-z validation link?

mrsam1999

Broken In
Here is my cpuz validation link :-

*valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=556909

And a screenshot of gpuz :-

*img530.imageshack.us/img530/5474/gpuzf.jpg

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
It goes without saying- change the psu to atleast corsair tx650. Possibility exists that one the memory might not be working properly OR you got a bad processor batch. Unfortunatly in either of case we will have to stress test it. If its the ram, then either it could be something which the defect have surfaced, but with those psu, possibility also exists that it might have damaged the rams...
BUT
Did you update the BIOS by any chance? Find the batch code on the i7's packaging and google for it. See if you find any search about this batch. If its the processor, then you should find out if anyone with the same batch code have made any reports on any tech forums. Also go to xtremesystems.org and lurk around, see if you find any thread in regards to this issue. Maybe there's a setting one need to do.

hash!!

________
hmm.. needed something like this.. help me out someone.. :)

my specs:
asus M2N-E
athlon x2 4400+
8800GTS 320mb
2x1GB DDR2
1x320gb SATA hdd
1x250gb SATA hdd
2xDVD Burners
1xInternal Card Reader
Creative SB Live! pci soundcard
4-5 fans thrown around

i've been running all this on a CM extremepower 550Watt PSU all this while, and it seems to have run fine.. so i wanna sell that off now, and get a new PSU cause Im planning to get a new processor, probably a phenom 9950 or a 9850, whichever is compatible with my M2N-E (im still trying to confirm that from people who have experience or know about it), and considering the phenom's 100watt+ usage, i think i should get a better PSU.

So, what kinda PSU do i get? cause i was planning to go for an 700watt extremepower, (if they make that).. theres a power calculator on Asus' website, that gave me an approximation of about 650 watts on my current config.. i know theres more to PSU's than their wattages, but i need some solid advice here.. :)
Is there something cheaper, but better i should go for?
my system remains on for long hours, and on load for atleast half the time its on, cause i need to render stuff every now and then.

cheers,
Hari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom