Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hey guys pardon me for this off track query but gotta ask. I am noticing for last two months that my electric usage unit has gone up by a high rate. Is my Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W PSU a causing this? Coz last year in this time of year my meter unit was 300, in this year it is 580, in October. I have added no new gadgets from last year except the CM PSU and my desktop is on for same duration as last year. So I was thinking it might be my PSU. Oh, my last PSU was a e-life 500W.
If it's my PSU then does every high wattage PSU act same,including Corsair and others?
Electric bill is suddenly cozing me a problem as I am not a BILLIONAIRE. LOL. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hey guys pardon me for this off track query but gotta ask. I am noticing for last two months that my electric usage unit has gone up by a high rate. Is my Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W PSU a causing this? Coz last year in this time of year my meter unit was 300, in this year it is 580, in October. I have added no new gadgets from last year except the CM PSU and my desktop is on for same duration as last year. So I was thinking it might be my PSU. Oh, my last PSU was a e-life 500W.
If it's my PSU then does every high wattage PSU act same,including Corsair and others?
Electric bill is suddenly cozing me a problem as I am not a BILLIONAIRE. LOL. :)

maybe. all i can say is, efficiency went down, power consumption went up (by the PSU), so bill went up too.

no, all PSUs efficiency comes down but the good ones (Corsair, Seasonic) maintains their near perfect efficiency. so even after a yr or 2, your power consumption doesn't goes up. at least not significantly to reflect in electricity bills.

speaking of cheap PSUs or the ones you use, most even don't last to show their efficiency drop. only after a yr they go BOOM. warranty over, PSU over.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ high price always doesn't means you getting good components. but if its a month old, than it maybe for some other problem also. i can't guarantee your PSU is culprit. but

jeetu

Broken In
While the quality of of some PSU is going down , a decent branded ones like Coolermaster , Seasonic , Cosair etc are far safer bet than 400Rs cheap PSU.
Imporant thing is to look for protection features like OCP , OVP ,
OPP , OTP , PFC etc.
Before buying PSU always check sites like
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
For people with graphic card Amperage on 12V rail should addition consideration.
Many branded PSU 's actual Wattage is lower than whats written on PSU unit , so its good idea to buy higher atleast 30% higher Watt PSU than required.
My buying criteria.
A good 400W costs around 2500 rs (for entry level comp).
A 460W is good for low end HTPC graphic card.
For low-mid end graphic card ( 9800 GT or equivalent) a true 500W is safe choice.
Personally i am using CoolerMaster 460 W Exxtreme on Dual Core AMD with no graphic card and Cooler Master Real Power Pro with Intel Dual Core + 9600GT without any issue.

There s no way PSU is doing that. There are lots more power guzzler home appliances like Geysor , A.C , Fridge etc. You should check them first.
Another factor could be that new Electronic meters tends to run much faster when it has "Earth wire" related issue

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
my gx 550W went kaput yesterday
the red wire in p11 p12 wire was burned badly

most probably i'll go for real power pro 460W

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my gx 550W went kaput yesterday
the red wire in p11 p12 wire was burned badly

most probably i'll go for real power pro 460W

sad to hear that buddy. well 1 thing sure, let it be GX or Real Power or Extreme Power or whatever it is, CM makes child's toy that we call PSU. that doesn't even last a yr (most don't).

please save yourself headache & time. go for Corsair or Seasonic man.

Piyush

Lanaya
FSP/Seasonic not available

the dealer is not letting me exchange with other brand
saying that u have to choose from CM series only

it really hurts bros.........

so which one is good in CM scrapyard?
i think only real power is dependable coz many users are still satisfied with it,its stable and is quite an old series too........

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Try getting the corsairs somehow or order online. gx series is also not bad. check your connections and wirings in your house. Maybe a power surge has damaged your psu.

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
Piyush you can go for coolermaster gx series of psu's. They are very good and boast the same build quality and reliabilty as corsairs. My friend is running gtx 460 sli without any hiccups and uses a cm GX650 PSU. Even a forum member here is using a 6870 with the same psu and his rest of the system is also quite beefy.

So you can go with the gx series eyes closed as they are not like the extreme series. They also come with a 5 year warranty like corsair and are 80+ certified and the 650 is sli and cfx cerified.

:lol:
thanks for ur supportive suggestions bro

mine was gx series to-GX 550W
i dont wanna gamble anymore

and the guy u r talkin about who has 6870 alongwith GX650 is HDKnitro(lives near by me) has no problems with it bcoz the 650/750 models of GX series have reported no problems so far

the dealer at SMC told me that it was 5th/6th piece of GX 550W that went kaput recently
so it looks like only gx 550 is encountering the problem

its so disappointing that CM can still not take care of products that they sell to us
they SHOULD change their OEMs now
its high time

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
FSP/Seasonic not available

the dealer is not letting me exchange with other brand
saying that u have to choose from CM series only

it really hurts bros.........

so which one is good in CM scrapyard?
i think only real power is dependable coz many users are still satisfied with it,its stable and is quite an old series too........

get it replaced & than try sell it off. with the acquired money, try get a VX450W.

Try getting the corsairs somehow or order online. gx series is also not bad. check your connections and wirings in your house. Maybe a power surge has damaged your psu.

but his GX only got burnt. CM use crappy interiors. that can't take much load/current.

Piyush

Lanaya
@sammy
will surely try it
how is FSP saga II 500W?

a pretty GOOD link
check it out

Who's Who In Power Supplies: Brands, Labels, And OEMs : Manufacturers, Designers, And Labels

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
:lol:
thanks for ur supportive suggestions bro

mine was gx series to-GX 550W
i dont wanna gamble anymore

and the guy u r talkin about who has 6870 alongwith GX650 is HDKnitro(lives near by me) has no problems with it bcoz the 650/750 models of GX series have reported no problems so far

the dealer at SMC told me that it was 5th/6th piece of GX 550W that went kaput recently
so it looks like only gx 550 is encountering the problem

its so disappointing that CM can still not take care of products that they sell to us
they SHOULD change their OEMs now
its high time

maybe used some faulty parts on a particular batch of the GX550W. this happens to other PSU or PC peripherals also. no exception. but personally, get rid of CM (PSU only. not cabby).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom