avast update error

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
i have the avast free antivirus installed on win XP lappy.
it does not updates the virus database on its own, even though its set on auto.
and the manual updates dont work

tried to uninstall it but it shows an 'error reading product data' error. and i cant even delete the folder.

what to do?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Try revo uninstaller. If it fails, del the folder either from safe mode or by using unlocker.

The clean the registry using Ccleaner.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
run avast installer again. it'll give you options about unintall, modify, etc. just uninstall it. reboot PC & reinstall it again.

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Try revo uninstaller. If it fails, del the folder either from safe mode or by using unlocker.

The clean the registry using Ccleaner.

Well i did what you said, but now i got a bigger problem.
after the restart i got this BSOD

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

and when everytime i restart get the same BSOD and i'm not able to 'repair' using the win XP setup CD. i get the same BSOD after the check disk

i searched the microsoft site for this troubleshoot
How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

is it ok to go about with this? or is there any other way. and i dont want to make a clean new XP install.

well it was too late for the avast uninstaller as stated in above posts

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Removing Avast is no way related to BSOD. Anyway you can proceed with the steps said in above link. But since "repair" option is not working, I hardly believe the options in link will work. But give it a try.

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: avast update error and further BSOD

Removing Avast is no way related to BSOD. Anyway you can proceed with the steps said in above link. But since "repair" option is not working, I hardly believe the options in link will work. But give it a try.

well it doesn't look like that its gonna work out.
on the other hand i was able to get hold of a hard disk adaptor and recover my data on my win 7 pc. i was hoping now if i can repair the win xp installation through my pc. the link above says that the windows processes:

csrss.exe
winlogon.exe

are responsible for such errors.
is there a way of going about repairing them or something? or am i left with the option of a clean install

Top Bottom