Automate downloads from File-sharing services

sygeek

Technomancer
Article source​
Anyone who has every downloaded files from file hosting services such as Rapidshare or Megaupload is well familiar with the ritual “dance” involved in the process, which consists of waiting for on-screen counters to count-down then moving through multiple screens until at long last your download link becomes available. (Not to mention having to re-do the whole thing if you get distracted and don’t jump on the download link as soon as it appears).

If you’ve been in this situation then you’ll like this free Firefox extension. SkipScreen automates the process of advancing through the various pages preceeding the download screen, waits for the timer to count all the way down, automatically overcomes any captchas, then starts the download once it becomes available. All you need to do is browse to the initial download page; SkipScreen will do the rest.

It is as easy as using a link from file-sharing services as a direct link. Although this might piss-off the file sharing companies, but it is NOT ILLEGAL AT ALL. The add-on exists happily in the Mozilla Add-ons site.

A video of SkipScreen in action:

[YOUTUBE]io8_J5cBkj0[/YOUTUBE]

• Supported file hosting services: as of this writing (and in alphabetical order) Depositfiles, Digg, Divshare, 4Shared.com, FilesTube, HotFile, LimeLinx, Link-Protector, Linkbucks, Mediafire, MegaUpload Family, Rapidshare, SendSpace, ShareBee, Storage.to, Uploaded.to, zShare
  • Anti-captcha: is built into the service. Which is to say you do not have to manually enter words or characters to prove that you are human; Skipscreen will do it for you.
  • Batch clipping URLs: is not supported, unlike downloaders such as Jdownloader for example.You could open each part of your download in a new tab and just leave them, I suppose, except you I’m not sure if you could set Firefox to download automatically without having to interact with the save file dialog at the end of the Skipscreen process.

The verdict: let’s face it: any mildly internet savvy user will have to interact with file hosting services at one point or another, and Skipscreen will make this experience much more efficient and pleasant. It simply is a must have for anyone who uses Firefox (although it seems that Chrome and IE versions may be on the horizon).

Having said this, I will say that hard-core downloaders will be better served by a download manager such as Jdownloader, especially when it comes to multi-part downloads, and especially if you would like to set these up for serial downloading overnight or something like that. But for everyone else Skipscreen is the more logical choice and is not just extremely useful but downright indispensible.

If you are interested in sharing files (instead of downloading), you may wanna try Fyels instead of these file-sharing services.

Last edited:
Reactions: ico

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
thanks again Sygeek for sharing a wonderful information.
Yes, I have been using JDownloader which works perfectly. But will give a try.

Tejas.Gupta

Ethical Hacker :)
Nice..it'd be very Useful...though i dount use such sites much ...
Either i make my own Hosting site where there is no download time etc.
Or for downloading bigger files i use Torrents

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Been using SkipScreen since months. But never cared to share it. :p Maybe My lazy ***
TFS SyGeek

Gollum

Collector
I use j downloader. just copy all the links and you are done with. no need to even open the download link page or website. no need to enter codes our even extract the downloaded parts, even restarts you airtel or bsnl modem.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Wow.. Really? If what you are saying is true... this must be the Ultimate tool against those irritating file sharing sites! Will try it soon.

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
BTW, I've already mentioned about JDownloader. Unless you're not much of a fan of file-sharing services you can use Skipscreen ELSE a hardcore file-sharing services user can go for JDownloader.
Having said this, I will say that hard-core downloaders will be better served by a download manager such as Jdownloader, especially when it comes to multi-part downloads, and especially if you would like to set these up for serial downloading overnight or something like that. But for everyone else Skipscreen is the more logical choice and is not just extremely useful but downright indispensible.

Gollum

Collector
BTW, I've already mentioned about JDownloader. Unless you're not much of a fan of file-sharing services you can use Skipscreen ELSE a hardcore file-sharing services user can go for JDownloader.

"chuckles" did I streal your thunder sweety.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Captcha can't be automated. If it can be, then whole purpose of captcha is FAILED!

R2K

In the Zone
^^
Then whats the point in using it if u have to be there infront of the PC to do it yourself

Skipscreen is helpful when you need to download one file which is being uploaded by your friends.

jdownloader is very helpfuly when he upload 10 parts .

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ Yeah.. nicely explained.
Btw, I had heard about a rumor lately, about bypassing captcha too. But I think it was just a rumor!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@sysgeek: I was searching for the same.u made my life simple...thanx

Btw how jdownloader works when there is waiting time between each download(such as RS,megaupload)???

also Mediafire & Megaupload dont have captcha...

Add N number of links on Jdownloader .

Start them and go for coffee with your GF . :D

After one download completes and has a waiting time of 15 minutes , It will wait for 15 minutes and start the next download .

When you come back you have all the links downloaded .

I have not used that software but I think it does allow resume from some website . I dont think it allows from RS .

Correct me if I am wrong !

Top Bottom