"ASTROLOGY" - A big Bluff Game - Researchers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I will say this is the first ever considerable victory for all aethiest and to mankind !!!

Without doubt astrology is proved as fake or a game of bluff ... and Existence GOD will also be proved as just not more than illusion soon.... GO SCIENCE !!!!

read more and stop reading all those horoscopes !!!!​

Good news for rational, level-headed Virgoans everywhere: just as you might have predicted, scientists have found astrology to be rubbish.

Its central claim - that our human characteristics are moulded by the influence of the Sun, Moon and planets at the time of our birth - appears to have been debunked once and for all and beyond doubt by the most thorough scientific study ever made into it.

For several decades, researchers tracked more than 2,000 people - most of them born within minutes of each other. According to astrology, the subject should have had very similar traits.
Starry eyed: Grant

The babies were originally recruited as part of a medical study begun in London in 1958 into how the circumstances of birth can affect future health. More than 2,000 babies born in early March that year were registered and their development monitored at regular intervals.

Researchers looked at more than 100 different characteristics, including occupation, anxiety levels, marital status, aggressiveness, sociability, IQ levels and ability in art, sport, mathematics and reading - all of which astrologers claim can be gauged from birth charts.

The scientists failed to find any evidence of similarities between the "time twins", however. They reported in the current issue of the Journal of Consciousness Studies: "The test conditions could hardly have been more conducive to success . . . but the results are uniformly negative."

Analysis of the research was carried out by Geoffrey Dean, a scientist and former astrologer based in Perth, Australia, and Ivan Kelly, a psychologist at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
advertisement

Dr Dean said the results undermined the claims of astrologers, who typically work with birth data far less precise than that used in the study. "They sometimes argue that times of birth just a minute apart can make all the difference by altering what they call the 'house cusps'," he said. "But in their work, they are happy to take whatever time they can get from a client."

The findings caused alarm and anger in astrological circles yesterday. Roy Gillett, the president of the Astrological Association of Great Britain, said the study's findings should be treated "with extreme caution" and accused Dr Dean of seeking to "discredit astrology".

Frank McGillion, a consultant to the Southampton-based Research Group for the Critical Study of Astrology, said of the newly published work: "It is simplistic and highly selective and does not cover all of the research." He added that he would lodge a complaint with the editors of the journal.

Astrologers have for centuries claimed to be able to extract deep insights into the personality and destiny of people using nothing more than the details of the time and place of birth.

Astrology has been growing in popularity. Surveys suggest that a majority of people in Britain believe in it, compared with only 13 per cent 50 years ago. The Association of Professional Astrologers claims that 80 per cent of Britons read star columns, and psychological studies have found that 60 per cent regularly read their horoscopes.

Despite the scepticism of scientists, astrology has grown to be a huge worldwide business, spawning thousands of telephone lines, internet sites and horoscope columns in newspapers and magazines.

It seems that no sector of society is immune to its attraction. A recent survey found that a third of science students subscribed to some aspects of astrology, while some supposedly hard-headed businessmen now support a thriving market in "financial astrology" - paying for predictions of trends such as the rise and fall of the stock market. Astrology supplements have been known to increase newspaper circulation figures and papers are prepared to pay huge sums to the most popular stargazers.

Some of the most popular figures in the field, such as Russell Grant, Mystic Meg and Shelley von Strunckel, can earn £600,000 or more a year.

A single profitable astrology website can be worth as much as £50 million.

When the Daily Mail discovered that its expert on the zodiac, Jonathan Cainer, was about to leave the newspaper in 1999, it reportedly offered him a £1 million salary and a £1 million bonus to stay. He still preferred the offer at the Daily Express: no salary but all the money from his telephone lines.

The time-twins study is only the start of the bad news for astrologers, however. Dr Dean and Prof Kelly also sought to determine whether stargazers could match a birth chart to the personality profile of a person among a random selection.

They reviewed the evidence from more than 40 studies involving over 700 astrologers, but found the results turned out no better than guesswork.

The success rate did not improve even when astrologers were given all the information they asked for and were confident they had made the right choice.

Dr Dean said the consistency of the findings weighed heavily against astrology.

"It has no acceptable mechanism, its principles are invalid and it has failed hundreds of tests," he said. "But no hint of these problems will be found in astrology books which, in effect, are exercises in deception."

Dr Dean is ready for a torrent of criticism. He said: "I'm probably the most hated person in astrology because I'm regarded as a turncoat."

*www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/08/17/nstars17.xml

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I see that this thread will get sidetracked, get personal during discussion, becomes a flame war and ultimately get locked :D :p

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^If that is some kind of astrological prediction then you are wrong! Read the news above.. ;) :lol:

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
there is no need of any scientific
study. its already a fake
thing.but yeah it wil come handy
to shut the big fat lying mouth
of stupid astrologers

Last edited:
OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
rightly said fun2sh !!!

To all astrologers: dont fool others for your own benefit( money)
This goes also for all those saints and babaji`s !!!!

You dont have nothing.... but full of fake words and lies...

karnivore

in your face..
^^ Thanks for the article. But rest assured, no matter how much evidence you give to the believers, they will always find a reason to believe.

Indranil92001

Journeyman
I am really Lough Out Loud on this topic.
A noob who dont learn Astrology and dont have knowledge about it then say anything about it. I am some time really wonder how a person say anything on it who dont learn about it. Before proof anything to wrong not only the Astrology in other subject too you have to learn on those subject, otherwise you dont have any rights to say anything on it. And this is my Astrological Prediction of those noob humanbeing.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,Europeans are those who "found" and "patented" turmeric while it is used widely for thousands of years in India! :lol: the same way ,they proved Astrology is fake!BS!
I think,it is difficult to argue with these kids who are yet to know there are supernatural forces and a creator.In ur lifetime,hopefully you'll get to know that :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lol..i hate science and orthodox beliefs + superstitions

But I never denied the happening of unknown

What has science given us ? We were much better when we lived for 3 times meal and enjoyed the aura of pure nature.
But no, science had to come in and ruin things with experitments ,experiments that never ever really provided +ve effects without any -ve ones, nuclear weaponf, bio weapons, freakin cruelty on other life form for the betterment of human (or is it so ?), artificial methods and unnatural ways.

So all those who preach science go and dig ur grave over the world surrounded by the ashes of nulear war and infections born as a side effect of making a cure for another infections.

The best things in life are without any price.

Last edited:

Indranil92001

Journeyman
well,Europeans are those who "found" and "patented" turmeric while it is used widely for thousands of years in India! :lol: the same way ,they proved Astrology is fake!BS!

So you are depand on Europeans, What they are saying and what they are doing. Now I am LOUGH OUT LOUD seriously :D :D :D :D :D

praka123

left this forum longback
^I think you are confusing! :) ,what I want to say was as @OP claims,anything those so called scientists(from west) proved are truth :?: I thought we all know about the controversy over turmeric and baasmati rice patented by US monopolists :p

Similarly,those who have experienced Astrology's that "unknown" ability to predict things(not 100% again!) almost correctly which are going to happen in future?
we dont want someone's proving something known to unknown!
Atheism sucks!similarly hardcore religious fanatism too sucks(Islamists!) :D

x3060

A LOTR fan
i still wonder why would we want to know about our future . . lets say i know how my tomorrow or one year from now on is . . then i can simply change it and future will go wrong. someone says i wont get a job for a year , ask my friend or so get a job future is wrong . . . its a waist of time and silly excuse. . i am not against astro thing but very much against when people go blindly towards it. its simply a waist of time...

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I am really Lough Out Loud on this topic.
A noob who dont learn Astrology and dont have knowledge about it then say anything about it. I am some time really wonder how a person say anything on it who dont learn about it. Before proof anything to wrong not only the Astrology in other subject too you have to learn on those subject, otherwise you dont have any rights to say anything on it. And this is my Astrological Prediction of those noob humanbeing.

ohhh i never knew astrology is some course to be studied... dude first try to understand the topic or the news i have posted.... it clearly says that YOUR SO CALLED astrologers cant predict a future given all the information they needed.... still u support them... how pathetic !!!!!

I think,it is difficult to argue with these kids who are yet to know there are supernatural forces and a creator.In ur lifetime,hopefully you'll get to know that :)

ya dont worry we will prove that your supernatural stuff no more than some illusion or fake world to rely or blame on when nothing helps you out !!!

^I think you are confusing! :) ,what I want to say was as @OP claims,anything those so called scientists(from west) proved are truth :?: I thought we all know about the controversy over turmeric and baasmati rice patented by US monopolists :p

Similarly,those who have experienced Astrology's that "unknown" ability to predict things(not 100% again!) almost correctly which are going to happen in future?
we dont want someone's proving something known to unknown!
Atheism sucks!similarly hardcore religious fanatism too sucks(Islamists!) :D

wait astrology is not a machine or a design to tell you the future... now the astrologers.. even i can predict your future... try me....!!!!

think rational...

as said in the research .. astrology doesnt have any working mechanism( may not be the right word) .... and it differs vastly from one astologer to another...

take for example our daily predictions in newspaper... dont u feel that all those predictions given for alll the stars somehow can be experienced by another person...???

a days life is full of happiness, sadness, fight,debate, etc.... so pick anyone and tell them you will feell this thing today is a job which can be done by anyone....

karnivore

in your face..
A noob who dont learn Astrology and dont have knowledge about it then say anything about it.

The experiment was based on, to say it roughly, statistical sampling procedure. Simply recording the required info and letting the astrologers to make predictions on that basis and then comparing the results. Tell me what knowledge of astrology is needed for sampling. If you argued on the impurities that remain in a sample size, it would have made some valid points.

Indranil92001 said:
Before proof anything to wrong not only the Astrology in other subject too you have to learn on those subject, otherwise you dont have any rights to say anything on it
I agree with you completely. But do you see the irony. Astrologers, who know jack about science, continue to claim that science can't prove astrology. In spite of statistical evidence against their profession, they continue to stake their claim.

praka123 said:
...there are supernatural forces and a creator
And your evidence/ arguments are......

T159 said:
What has science given us ? We were much better...
Whether we were better or not is a subjective observation. Perhaps, when we wore lion cloths, fcuked our own sisters, clobbered each other to death for woman and meat, soaked in shower, roasted in sun, ate half roasted animals and "enjoyed the aura of pure nature", was a better time for you. But frankly i like the world that we live in today. Thank you very much.

And really what has science given us, besides, electric bulbs, motor vehicles, refrigerators, microwaves, computers, modern medicine, communication satellites ? NOTHING.

And so what if science has given us the knowledge, and we have mindlessly twisted it to satisfy our own perversion, WHY DID SCIENCE GIVE US THE KNOWLEDGE IN THE FIRST PLACE ? Nothing like the doom of nuclear and biological warfare or side effects of modern medicine would have loomed over our head, if only that bloody science could keep its slutty mouth shut.

DAMN SCIENCE, HAIL OBSCURANTISM.

praka123 said:
...hardcore religious fanatism too sucks(Islamists!)
Strange, hindu fundamentalism or christian fundamentalism seems to be missing from your list.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
I am no expert on this topic and yes i don think rationally ;) but there are many instances where Science has been clueless to answer the happening of a certain phenomenon.
Terming Astrology a hoax would be too harsh in my opinion.It was developed over the ages by humans in an attempt to find out things by a simple trial and error method i suppose.This lead to certain conventions to be laid down.Which were followed by later generations.
If someone really tries to look into what astrology actually does and the methodology, idea behind it and so on, its not like its just pure guesswork.
Just because some greedy people to try to earn a quick buck by using astrology,that i think would be unfair.In this case the self proclaimed Astrologers are at fault,not astrology in itself.

I have known someone, who has been 'TRAINED' from childhood regarding astrology and believe me or not, he thinks its a curse that he has that he has the capability to get an idea about people's future (Which includes unfortunate events).
And yes, there is proof of his predictions coming true.He doesnt charge a single penny, nor does he advertise,people come to him after hearing from someone who had visited him.
I have argued with him for a long time over some weaknesses of astrology and here is what he had to say,
'Astrological predictions should be used as guidelines,a hint so that one is alert if some unfortunate thing is about to happen.Using these predictions as base and assuming that a particular event is definitely going to happen is stupidity.
A sane person should rely on his knowledge,logic and SCIENCE for say like 80% and only 20% on astrology when a time comes to make some crucial decisions or so,for which people head to astrology, in pursuit to know the future and make a decision accordingly.
My logic complels me to believe in this approach,why ? because there is a logical reasoning to it.Atleast it doesnt keep any doubts in my head.

This is just my opinion,so dont flame me.If you disagree with me, say so in a modest way.

Cheers !

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I am no expert on this topic and yes i don think rationally ;) but there are many instances where Science has been clueless to answer the happening of a certain phenomenon.
Terming Astrology a hoax would be too harsh in my opinion.It was developed over the ages by humans in an attempt to find out things by a simple trial and error method i suppose.This lead to certain conventions to be laid down.Which were followed by later generations.
the simplest fact was.. yes i agree they were finding many things regarding ASTRONOMY.... which very much differs from ASTROLOGY ! and they tried to integrate both of them to make ASTROLOGY a legit stuff...

If someone really tries to look into what astrology actually does and the methodology, idea behind it and so on, its not like its just pure guesswork.
then wht it is ????

Just because some greedy people to try to earn a quick buck by using astrology,that i think would be unfair.In this case the self proclaimed Astrologers are at fault,not astrology in itself.

astrology gave way to pure billion dollar bussiness.... !!!

I have known someone, who has been 'TRAINED' from childhood regarding astrology and believe me or not, he thinks its a curse that he has that he has the capability to get an idea about people's future (Which includes unfortunate events).
And yes, there is proof of his predictions coming true.He doesnt charge a single penny, nor does he advertise,people come to him after hearing from someone who had visited him

who trained ?? and wht did they train ??? coincidence dude... !!!he doesnt charge a penny ??? nice way , to geta escape route.. coz he cant be charged for anydamage his prediction could result in !!!!

I have argued with him for a long time over some weaknesses of astrology and here is what he had to say,
'Astrological predictions should be used as guidelines,a hint so that one is alert if some unfortunate thing is about to happen.Using these predictions as base and assuming that a particular event is definitely going to happen is stupidity.
A sane person should rely on his knowledge,logic and SCIENCE for say like 80% and only 20% on astrology when a time comes to make some crucial decisions or so,for which people head to astrology, in pursuit to know the future and make a decision accordingly.

I dont get you ... if a bad thing is going to be prevented by his prediction doesnt it mean that the future of the client( the one who seeks advice from these astrologers) is good ????
if its true then ?? are astologers near to god ( i dont believe in god either) who can change future of a person ???
if so why could astrologers prevented so many deaths in tsunami which hit few yeas back in southindia??? were they selffish ?? or simply is that they cant predict such large diasters ??? or sadist ??? like letthose poor souls die./..!!!!

My logic complels me to believe in this approach,why ? because there is a logical reasoning to it.Atleast it doesnt keep any doubts in my head.

think again dude.... you just want a answer to carry on your life... just a answer and you didnt care to loook into the content of it.... think AGAIN !!!

This is just my opinion,so dont flame me.If you disagree with me, say so in a modest way.

Cheers !

oooppps ...sorry i dint see this .... sorry anyway if i had hurted you in neway..

just want to clear things out...

double cheers :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom