Apple expensive? I don't think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks, GNUrag! :)

So, guys, let's resume the cold war now and please keep this topic limited to Apple (Macintosh) vs. Microsoft (Windows) - no off-topic posts and personal remarks, please!

Where is gxsaurav?

G

gxsaurav

celebrating diwali...& taking pics. Away for a few days, continue without me, as i said what i wanted to say....it was good when this thread was closed

digitadmin

Administrator
Admin
This fight sucks!

mail2and you ARE an Apple fanboy, and that's ok it's not an insult. I am an Opera fanboy... err... man.. whatever.

Eddie, you obviously know only as much about Macs as I do, which isn't much. Though I've used a MacBook Pro recently, and understood why people rave about Apple's OS.

Also, when buying a PC, factor in the cost of Windows XP, and the equivalent tools that Apple provides as iLife, and you will see that it goes way above Rs 23K. Now add to that the support you get... say if you bought a dell or an HP Compaq instead of an assembled PC and you will see that Apple's are actually cheaper than PCs, and still PCs fall short in terms of looks and usability. Give a complete computer novice a MAC and a PC, and he'll probably prefer the Mac coz it's prettier and more intuitive.

Everyone who says that they prefer assembled computers which are 20K cheaper, is considering pirated software for Windows, and pirated Windows XP itself.

That said, I'm quite happy with my XP rig, with Photoshop, Open Office and Opera. It's just a matter of choices, and I'm surprised that some people still don't get that!

If you want a Mac, get one, if you want a PC, get one.

I am disappointed in the way Eddie behaved: you seem very intelligent, yet stoop to trying your best to irritate people to win arguments, instead of just stating facts.

mail2and: You shouldn't have let eddie get to you, as a mod you have to take this cr@p in your stride, ignore the personal comments completely, and refrain from making any of your own. I know that you are aware of the much higher standards that are expected of you as a moderator. Though I can understand why you lost your temper. People like Eddie are usually quite adept at pissing others off. They thrive on that sort of thing.

I hope this argument will continue without calling each other names, it just sidelines the whole issue at hand, and fills up posts with $#@%^@$$@!

digitadmin

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
lol welcome back digitadmin, and well said.

we've missed your authority around here.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
digitadmin said:
Eddie, you obviously know only as much about Macs as I do, which isn't much. Though I've used a MacBook Pro recently, and understood why people rave about Apple's OS.

Also, when buying a PC, factor in the cost of Windows XP, and the equivalent tools that Apple provides as iLife, and you will see that it goes way above Rs 23K. Now add to that the support you get... say if you bought a dell or an HP Compaq instead of an assembled PC and you will see that Apple's are actually cheaper than PCs, and still PCs fall short in terms of looks and usability. Give a complete computer novice a MAC and a PC, and he'll probably prefer the Mac coz it's prettier and more intuitive.

Everyone who says that they prefer assembled computers which are 20K cheaper, is considering pirated software for Windows, and pirated Windows XP itself.
Exactly! You have to count the cost of software too, not just the hardware. But since Windows is basically free for most Indians, Macs tend to look expensive by comparison. But they still cost only Rs. 55,000, guys. That is NOT expensive by any standards. I know you can buy a PC for less than ten thousand bucks, at least in India, but don't even think about comparing it with an Apple iMac.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
digitadmin said:
This fight sucks!

mail2and you ARE an Apple fanboy, and that's ok it's not an insult. I am an Opera fanboy... err... man.. whatever.

That said, I'm quite happy with my XP rig, with Photoshop, Open Office and Opera. It's just a matter of choices, and I'm surprised that some people still don't get that!

If you want a Mac, get one, if you want a PC, get one.

I am disappointed in the way Eddie behaved: you seem very intelligent, yet stoop to trying your best to irritate people to win arguments, instead of just stating facts.

mail2and: You shouldn't have let eddie get to you, as a mod you have to take this cr@p in your stride, ignore the personal comments completely, and refrain from making any of your own. I know that you are aware of the much higher standards that are expected of you as a moderator. Though I can understand why you lost your temper. People like Eddie are usually quite adept at pissing others off. They thrive on that sort of thing.

I hope this argument will continue without calling each other names, it just sidelines the whole issue at hand, and fills up posts with $#@%^@$$@!

digitadmin

Aye aye, sir!

But, what I get put off by, is the same rhetoric in each thread. You'd find many threads in this forum, in which I have given explanation to each point.

However, gxsaurav posts the same points again, when another such thread comes up. It is an obvious attempt by him to deviate the discussion in each thread remotly related to Apple, Macintosh or Linux. You can personally check his posts.

Hence, I'd request you to not allow any Mac v/s Windows threads on the forum. They serve no purpose.

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Learn to just ignore it andy. Windows vs Apple, Windows vs Open Source, Paid vs Pirated... all this is the bread and butter of tech, you cannot stop people from talking about it. Besides, think of the many people who have just read this thread, and not posted. At least they will be unbiased and come to their own conclusions! It's all knowledge, and everyone is entitled to their opinions, thus the fight club! This place is for arguments that really have no right or wrong, just varying interpretations...

Raaabo

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What's fun about Macs is they often do exactly as you think they should to accomplish a task. That can be a shock for people who are used to jumping through flaming hoops in Windows.

You are going to love the machine. Seriously. And then you're going to annoy all of your family and friends because you'll become an evangelist and will let everyone know what they're missing. Your relationships will suffer. Your productivity will skyrocket. You will develop an unhealthy love for an inanimate object. It's inevitable.
Isn't this just so true? This is what an experienced Mac user had to say to another who is a newbie and I think he has nailed it. People, like me, who buy a Mac eventually fall absolutely in love with it and become - to use the guy's word - 'evangelists'. We then try to convert the whole PC crowd to the Mac platform and try to show them what they are missing. It may be wrong to do so, but it is something that inevitably does happen. In fact, the Mac is not the only platform that invokes such loyalty. Linux, and open source in general, is another prime example.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Guilty Pleasure - Apple Macintosh

Over the years, I’ve been a Linux user and a Windows user. In Linux, I’ve used everything from easy to use Suse to Slackware where I manually setup XFree86 to support a three-monitor system. For the last few years, I’ve stuck to trusted old Windows.

Piera, however, has been using Macs. Today was special, in that she finally upgraded. She went out and picked up a brand new MacBook Pro. And me? I inherited her iBook. A little G4 machine, but quite powerful. It’s my first real Mac, and in a way, it’s like a guilty pleasure. It’s so much fun, so new and exciting, but I still have my Windows desktop.

I’m sure I’ll continue to use both, but in the back of my head I’m sure something is telling me to end my affair with the PC and move completely into the Mac-fold. Only time will tell.
Source
Just another post to prove that "Once you go Mac you never go back!" B-)

mediator

Technomancer
Don't get so excited by such posts man. U'll find such posts for every popular OS with the end statements by the poster => "Just another post to prove that "Once you go to this OS you never go back!""!
Its more important of what u think!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I, for one, haven't heard any Windows user say that. And it is a fact that a Windows user who switches to the Macintosh NEVER goes back. And now that you can run Windows on Mac on Parallels, or use Darwin to run Windows applications directly on OS X, only mental people would go back to Windows after using a Mac.
And there are many people who had never used Windows before Apple introduced Boot Camp. When they installed and used Windows, they found it to be crap and uninstalled it.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mail2and in the topic 'Ipod vs. Zune... Which One Do You Prefer??' said:
gxsaurav said:
Get your facts right & read various other threads in this forum first

in 5 years, Apple has released OS X updates, different updates to same product, but MS has released, many completely different operating systems

XP Pro
XP Home
XP MCE
XP MCE 2005
XP Tablet PC
XP tablet PC 2005
Windows Mobile 2003
Windows Mobile 2005
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server datacenter edition

so better count again, & keep this discussion to iPod vs. zune only
Did you ever go to school?
If gxsaurav thinks that Windows XP Pro and Home are different operating systems, adding Media Center capabilities and a shiny theme to an OS makes it a radically different to its predecessor and counts the tablet PC, mobile and server editions too to justify his claim that Microsoft has been releasing 'many completely different operating systems', we all know - himself included - how lame and desperate his statement sounds. The five completely new versions of Mac OS X are just 'different updates to same product' and Windows XP home, pro, MCE and MCE 2005 are different products - yeah, we can see your point! The reason Apple does not have a seperate OS with media center capabilities is that they do not differenciate between their consumers. You can install Front Row, free of cost, on any version of Mac OS X and have media center capabilities. Plus, if you have a previous version of Mac OS and you upgrade to a newer one, you just need to pay half the price. What will you do if you want a media center? Go and buy a new PC. What will you do when Vista is released? Go and buy it and shell out Rs. 21,000 for it (not counting the fact that you are a beta tester, obviously). And you still have the nerve to justify it...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
aryayush said:
only mental people would go back to Windows after using a Mac.
Please get done with this attitude .People who dont use/like mac are not idiots. Everyone has personal choice and taste some like mac some like other choices.

I think digitadmin and raaabo just wasted their time posting here in this thread.
I remember this quote from diggnation podcast ,and it seems so true only because of mac users like you.
alex to kevin said:
I am a mac user, but thank god i dont act like one.

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

tarey_g said:
Originally Posted by alex to kevin
I am a Mac user, but thank god I don’t act like one.

This sums the situation tarey, to the point....Mac users really got owned...lolzzz

this is the only problem with them, once they start using Mac, they think they are elite, they are super, they are special, and this is the biggest problem with them, now they think only they know how to use computers & only they know how to work on it. Same goes with Linux users, but good thing about them that they are learners, so they do give some valid points

MacOS X is good, cos it's tied to the hardware it runs on, only a few particular hardware combinations. Apple is a hardware company, they can't release MacOS X for general PCs, while Mac is also PC now, (internally). They know it, once they release it normally it will lose its position as being the most stable one, as Apple really can't make & integrate 19500+ drivers in MacOS X for sure, they are not such a big software company

Why can't u Mac users act like normal, u think your product is good, fine, now stop spreading lies about it, & stop making Windows/Linux look bad...your OS is also not without its flaws just like any other OS, do we windows users ever rant about Windows being superior, we don't need to show or proof anything, but u have to show & proof, & rant about it....We & Linux users just tell where linux or windows is good, & where it lacks, U talk like We are still living in Winodws 98 era....dude get over it

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
gxsaurav said:
This sums the situation tarey, to the point....Mac users really got owned...lolzzz

ya fits to many, specially the ones i know but i am not pointing towards every mac user.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
tarey_g said:

this is the only problem with them, once they start using Mac, they think they are elite, they are super, they are special, and this is the biggest problem with them, now they think only they know how to use computers & only they know how to work on it. Same goes with Linux users, but good thing about them that they are learners, so they do give some valid points

MacOS X is good, cos it's tied to the hardware it runs on, only a few particular hardware combinations. Apple is a hardware company, they can't release MacOS X for general PCs, while Mac is also PC now, (internally). They know it, once they release it normally it will lose its position as being the most stable one, as Apple really can't make & integrate 19500+ drivers in MacOS X for sure, they are not such a big software company

Why can't u Mac users act like normal, u think your product is good, fine, now stop spreading lies about it, & stop making Windows/Linux look bad...your OS is also not without its flaws just like any other OS, do we windows users ever rant about Windows being superior, we don't need to show or proof anything, but u have to show & proof, & rant about it....We & Linux users just tell where linux or windows is good, & where it lacks, U talk like We are still living in Winodws 98 era....dude get over it
LOL! That's a good example of 'doobte ko tinke ka sahaara'. You just luurve Linux now, don't you! And Windows and Linux users have now collectively become 'we'! :lol: You aren't so friendly to the platform in Windows vs. Linux discussions.

To answer your question, Mac and Linux users always try to show you why the product they use is better because they (we) are a minority compared to Windows. And don't tell me you don't try to justify Windows' features yourself. This whole thread is full of so many inconsistent things you have posted about Windows. You post something, get owned, then take it back. It's routine.

And can you show me one post where I have mentioned Mac's superiority and failed to prove it. I can post screenshots of whatever feature I mention. Yes, the Mac is more user-friendly, more secure, has a much better user-interface and is a pleasure to use. You can debate it till kingdom come but the truth won't change.

Whenever you get owned, like in my previous post, you stray off-topic and start cringing about how fanboyish Mac users are. Yes, I am a fanboy and I see no problem with being a fan of a vastly better product and I also do not see any problem in debating about two technological competitors on a technology forum. If you do not want to debate, you are welcome not to. But if you want to debate (and you are welcome to do so), don't start a flame war when you get owned! For your own sake.

tarey_g, I have yet to meet a person who has switched from the PC to Mac (and therefore, has the money to invest in it) and has then switched back to the PC.
Just think about it, why would you? You can install Windows using Boot Camp on a Mac (and Mac Pro was recently declared as the best Windows workstation available), run it simultaneously using Parallels and other such virtualisation sotware and even run Windows applications on Mac using software such as CrossOver and Darwin. Now, suppose you are buying a laptop. Give me one reason why you would not want to buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro.
Even if you can come up with a reason now, you will forget all your inhibitions once you have actually used a Macintosh. The joy of discovering that you need not install anti-virus and anti-spyware and keep them updated, restart after most software and update installations, keep end-tasking non-responding applications, experience OS crashes is just an out-of-the-world experience. Furthermore, using two fingers to scroll and right-click, screen corners for switching between open windows and showing the desktop, complete support for drag-and-drop, working with busy files, installing and uninstalling applications using drag-and-drop (copy-paste), slick and functional animations, etc. are enough to seal the deal in favour of the Macintosh.
Once you give it a try, you will realise that my statement might not be too off the mark after all! :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
BTW, gxsaurav, how 'many completely different operating systems' is Microsoft going to launch in January 2007? Here's a list:

Microsoft Windows® Vista Starter
Microsoft Windows® Vista Home Basic
Microsoft Windows® Vista Home Basic N
Microsoft Windows® Vista Home Premium
Microsoft Windows® Vista Business
Microsoft Windows® Vista Business N
Microsoft Windows® Vista Enterprise
Microsoft Windows® Vista Ultimate

WOW! That's eight 'completely different operating systems'! You have to give some credit to them - they are fast. They manage to launch eight operating systems in just five years. Hats off to Microsoft! :roll:

Now, don't tell me I forgot the previews, betas and release candidates!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
tarey_g said:

Are you jealous? It's really amazing you say that. Look at your posts in Linux threads.

You don't have the stones to take names? Figures.

But, then, what more can you expect from 5 year olds who get excited when they kill a monster in <enter the name of the latest game>.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

Windows and Linux are good, but i feel Mac is special. Given the choice, i'd definitely would love to go Mac. I think every computer owner should atleast once treat themselves to a Mac. Then after that whether they go back or not is their decision, but they probably won't, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom