Apple expensive? I don't think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It would also have taken me more than one minute to edit a post, erase a sentence and post it back. And you know what, I would never have wanted to edit it in the first place has I actually typed that sentence, because you have now proven it absolutely correct. It seems to me that you are the one who is a retard here. You speak as if you saw my post as soon as I posted it and quickly copied the offensive portion because you knew by some form of divine intervention that I was going to edit it within the minute! LOL! Even the most adventurous gambler won't stake the odds on that!
BTW, you can check out most of my posts, I very rarely make the font bold in my posts - to mark headings or to emphasise on certain important points or to distinguish some particular phrase or word from the rest of the post - and that sentence you later added would not have belonged to any such category.
Either this forum's software is freaking out or you are a freak... and I am willing to bet that it is the latter.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
Again? As if you have proven me wrong on any of my previous observations! You said they copied features from the open source community and I accepted that because I am not well informed about the subject. And it is not copying anyway because it is stated in the GPL in quite clear terms that anyone may take the source code and use it in their own software without any legal bindations. The company may even sell that software commercially. So, even if Apple DID use open source code in their software (and I only have your very unconvincing word for that), they did nothing wrong anyway.

There exists a fundamental difference in the approach of the two companies: Apple used the open source code that is free for anyone to use as they please (and that too, only you are saying that) - Micrsoft, on the other hand, copied most features directly from Apple's closed source. There is a difference between copying and using what is available and free to use.
And why are you making such a huge issue out of this anyway, we were talking about the end-user experience in Windows as compared to a Macintosh and you haven't yet said anything in favour of the former.

see you're contradicting yourself man . you said that apple copied GPL code , i agree , there's nothin wrong with it . now you said that MS copied apple's CLOSED SOURCE UI , means MS wrote it's own code , not apple's so they're not wrong in any way . they r writing their own code n selling it not copying apple's code .

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Let us get the facts straight here. Back in the late 70s-early 80s, Xerox placed an offer before Apple. If Apple offered them an opportunity to invest in Apple, they would give Apple the opportunity to visit the Xerox Paulo Alto Research Center twice to check out what Xerox was working on.

Steve Jobs and senior Apple engineers visited XPARC and were amazed by the UI concept. IT was a novel concept not thought of by anyone, including Apple.

What Apple did was pick the concept. They took it further, they refined it, and they put this concept in their OS.
No...
What they did was to stab Xerox in back after looking at the UI. They bought Xerox's leading developers and offered them more remuneration then what Xerox could do. That is known as "Pathetic Business Methods". If you can still justify their business methods..then I can't argue with you.
Go read company histories and then talk.
I have read their history countless number of times and that from independent sources. Apple or Microsoft oriented sites are not my source of information.
The CUPS printing engine is free, and licensed under GPL, right? Who is stopping Microsoft from using the CUPS engine? It is their ego that prevents them from using open source products.
Hear hear...at least one of the fanboy agrees that they are ripping off Open Source software.
Do you even understand how open source software works? It is not the "Ego" of Microsoft...it is the license terms and conditions. If you use GPL software, you need to open your own code of that part as well. How can Microsoft do that? Since you have already shown your lack of knowledge about GPL, BSD and other open source licenses (despite you being a self proclaimed "Linux Enthusiast"), I recommend you reading them before continuing the discussion.
The same goes for Konqueror and Kopete. Do you know how much the Mozilla foundation was p*ssed at Apple for not using the Gecko engine? Tell me, how many people outside of Linux enthusiasts(which I am) knew about the KHTML engine before Apple used it in their browser? It's being ported to Windows, too. I'd be proud if Apple base Finder on Konqueror, the best file manager there is.
KHTML or any other Open Source product does not need Apple to advertise them and at least I don't see konqueror or KHTML getting any advertisement from Apple. KDE stuff being ported to Windows has nothing to do with Apple...they have no role in it...just like how they never have had. KDE's port to Windows has blood and sweat of KDE devs...not of Apple's.
Do you know that KDE...one of the main organisation, from which Apple takes so much runs a financial branch known as KDE E.V. They accept donations from users and any organisation. You show me one donation of even 5 dollars from Apple to KDE and I will accept that they are doing ethical stuff. You won't find anything like that...why? Because...they just like to take...take more and then take some more from OSS.
It's not called copying(1), it's called using the product under a particular license, which is completely legal(2) and ethical(3). Atleast, they don't go claiming that their server product is better than Unix-based server products, with the help of biased and self-funded studies.
1. No its not called copying...its known as leeching...
2. Since it is legal, that is why Open Source community cannot sue Apple. If they could...Apple would not survived till date. Just don't teach me legalities man...I know about them and that is why never talked about it in my posts.
3. Ethical? You call leeching ethical? Ethical would have been if Apple would have contributed its patches back to Open Source Community. Ethical would have been if they would have tried to help the source from which they tap so much in any which way.
It is as simple as taking fruits from a tree in a free land. Taking fruits from a tree is not illegal and they are free as well, but the ethical thing to do is to give something back to the tree. You water the tree or give some fertilizers now and then. That is all the tree wants...if you can't do that...the tree will not sue you but you are still a pathetic leech man...
Anyways, I understand what your intentions are. The same goes for GX.

The 'Grapes are sour' kind of attitude will not take you anywhere in life. Trust me.
"What I think is right and what anyone else thinks is wrong" kind of attitude will not take you any where as well. You need to remember that when you point one finger at someone else (like what Apple does to Microsoft)...four fingers point back at you. Everything is not hunky-dory in Apple land and this is what Apple fan boys need to realise. I don't understand how that defines my "attitude"...but if it does...then so be it :)
You speak as if you saw my post as soon as I posted it and quickly copied the offensive portion because you knew by some form of divine intervention that I was going to edit it within the minute! LOL! Even the most adventurous gambler won't stake the odds on that!
I just quoted your post stupid. I didn't know you were going to delete it or something. Things like these (calling each other fools) are common in online debates but they should be backed with some solid reasoning :D
BTW, you can check out most of my posts, I very rarely make the font bold in my posts - to mark headings or to emphasise on certain important points or to distinguish some particular phrase or word from the rest of the post - and that sentence you later added would not have belonged to any such category.
The bold part was done by me...to make that part distinguish from the rest so that I could shove the truth in your face. Now you go and search forums...you will find that I commonly make the points I want to emphasise in bold or italics format.
Either this forum's software is freaking out or you are a freak...
Neither...the truth is that you are a retard and a liar combined in one :D

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Hear hear...at least one of the fanboy agrees that they are ripping off Open Source software.
:D

Thank you for the personal attack. I'm not a fan boy. I am a satisfied user, who spent hard-earned money on a computer, which he liked.

This is the biggest problem. People just don't know how to debate, where to draw the line, where things start getting personal. Besides, it's easy to talk trash sitting behind computer monitors, isn't it? This is the second time you're doing this, in the same thread. Why do you have a problem respecting others' choice?

BTW, the grapes are really sour, aren't they? ;)

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Thank you for the personal attack. I'm not a fan boy. I am a satisfied user, who spent hard-earned money on a computer, which he liked.

This is the biggest problem. People just don't know how to debate, where to draw the line, where things start getting personal. Besides, it's easy to talk trash sitting behind computer monitors, isn't it? This is the second time you're doing this, in the same thread. Why do you have a problem respecting others' choice?

BTW, the grapes are really sour, aren't they? ;)
Oh come on...calling some one a fan boy is a personal attack? Are we going to be so touchy from now on? I would also like to know about this another so-called "Personal Attack" you are referring to.

As far as the grapes comment is concerned...is that the best you've got? :p :D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Oh come on...calling some one a fan boy is a personal attack? Are we going to be so touchy from now on? Also I would also like to know what is this other so-called "Personal Attack" you are referring to.

As far as the grapes comment is concerned...is that the best you've got? :p :D

Page 1. Check your posts.

It's not about being touchy. How can you classify anyone on the basis of his computer preference? Come on, it's a computer. It's not bigger than your life. That's why I advice ppl like you to get a life :) Go out, make friends.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Page 1. Check your posts.
Are you are talking about that money comment? :?
It's not about being touchy. How can you classify anyone on the basis of his computer preference? Come on, it's a computer. It's not bigger than your life. That's why I advice ppl like you to get a life :) Go out, make friends.
:lol:
Am I getting that from a guy who has just been made a moderator of some online forum? I am being told to get a life by a guy who spends most of his life online? ROFL...man this cracked me up...

mediator

Technomancer
Oh man! Look at the threads title. It got deviated to "WIndows Vs Mac, stabilty and security comparison" and now to "Who copy from who?"
Didn't know MAC has such an unmemorisable history. Neways mah observation and enlightenment has been wonderful till now

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Are you are talking about that money comment? :?
:lol:
Am I getting that from a guy who has just been made a moderator of some online forum? I am being told to get a life by a guy who spends most of his life online? ROFL...man this cracked me up...

Most of my life? How can you say that? You don't even know me. How can you make such a comment? Do I take it as another personal attack? 3 in one thread?

If you'd like to know and pass comments on me, there are things called private messages.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Most of my life? How can you say that? You don't even know me. How can you make such a comment?
I can do it in just the way you make such comments when you tell other people to get a life...or do you know each and every person whom you tell this thing?
Honestly man..."get a life" is the most common and the last cheap shot every loser takes after a debate. When someone loses all his arguments...he shows himself as this uber cool guy and asks the other person to "get a life". You did it...I am not surprised at all :)
Do I take it as another personal attack? 3 in one thread?

If you'd like to know and pass comments on me, there are things called private messages.
Oh...so you do know about them? I thought someone was telling someone that they are talking "trash" and they have a pathetic attitude...if he didn't use "Private Messages" then I just took the liberty to do the same. As far as personal attacks are concerned...you can keep counting but I would also like to request something. Read and understand the forum description before you enter in a discussion area :D
The Debate Zone. Sensitive and controversial topics will be discussed here — only the thick-skinned should enter

If all these "Private Message" and "Personal Attack" comments are coming out of you because of your newly acquired "moderator" status, and you are planning to somehow take out your frustration by giving me some warning points then I will understand it :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
I can do it in just the way you make such comments when you tell other people to get a life...or do you know each and every person whom you tell this thing?

If all these "Private Message" and "Personal Attack" comments are coming out of you because of your newly acquired "moderator" status, and you are planning to somehow take out your frustration by giving me some warning points then I will understand it :)

Newly acquired? Another ignorant statement. Go back an year, and check for youself ;)

As far as mis-using my mod powers is concerned, it is not going to happen. It's not something big for me, as is the case for some people. I've achieved a bit more than being a mod of a forum. So, I can assure you, it' wont happen.

I have read the rules and the description of the forum. But, in no debate, or argument, are personal attacks allowed. You can not label any one. You're no one to judge how rich a person is, how does he look, or whether he is a fanboy. You may be the CEO of Tata Sons, or you may be just a normal person, but the fact remains: You're not entitled to judge anyone.

Look at the Hindi vs English thread in the same forum. People stayed on topic, the discussion was heated but meaningful, and it wasn't being hijacked as is the case here with some ppl.

As some one once said, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts".

As i said I don't know your credentials, but you do not know how businesses are run, or how companies shortchange others. It happens with every firm; be it Apple, Microsoft, Enron or even Sun. Look at the various stock option scandals.

As for the topic at hand, I'd day that a branded computer can't compete with an assembled computer. I agree that Apple do charge a 4-5k premium, but you get an OS, an office suite, an un-matched set of apps(iLife- Find me one free alternative to Garageband or iMovie). Sourabh can confirm that Windows Movie Maker doesn't stand a chance here. He has personally seen iMovie/iDvd and he told me that.

I'm not rich. Far from it. I have the same phone since the past three years as I can't afford to buy a new one. But, I chose this computer, which was 4k more expensive than a similar configuration PC, because that PC wouldn't have given me OS X or any other apps that I use regularly.

I think it comes to respecting others' choices. You don't like a computer? Fine. Move on. It'll do no good whining and calling any company names.

Anyways, if you want to prove that you know more, you have a broader outlook, then you don't need to do it with me. I accept that I don't have a technical background. What I do have, is a good business degree, and what I'll have in future, is a even better business degree.

IF you think I have no points as far as the MS v/s Apple debate goes, well please check other threads in this very forum. You'd find a lot of points that I didn't even mention, because I thought this topic was about how expensive/cheap Apple computers are, and not which OS is better.

As far as MS goes, please do check the law suits in and around 1985. Trust me, you'll get to know a lot. ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This topic has obviously changed to which OS is better but people are not even discussing that here.
As I already mentioned, IF what eddie is telling about history is indeed true, then Apple did indeed do some things the wrong way, but we are not here to discuss what is ethically correct and what's not, we are discussing which OS is better, more stable and offers better productivity and ease of use and the Macintosh can whip Windows red and blue any day of the week. There are very few departments in which Windows is better than a Mac and the Mac is better than Windows in every other field. It's almost perfect!
So, it would be lovely if you could all just discount all the off-topic crap from this discussion and talk about the topic at hand: Apple (Macintosh) vs. Microsoft (Windows).

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Newly acquired? Another ignorant statement. Go back an year, and check for youself ;)
ermm..so they fired you (or you resigned?) and then you some how came back? :?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39127
I was not here an year ago so it is obvious that your status is newly acquired for me.
I have read the rules and the description of the forum. But, in no debate, or argument, are personal attacks allowed. You can not label any one. You're no one to judge how rich a person is, how does he look, or whether he is a fanboy. You may be the CEO of Tata Sons, or you may be just a normal person, but the fact remains: You're not entitled to judge anyone.
...and you are entitled to do that? You are entitled to judge people and say that other people don't have a life, that they post trash and that they have pathetic attitude? Seriously man...don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you.
As for the topic at hand, I'd day that a branded computer can't compete with an assembled computer. I agree that Apple do charge a 4-5k premium, but you get an OS, an office suite, an un-matched set of apps(iLife- Find me one free alternative to Garageband or iMovie). Sourabh can confirm that Windows Movie Maker doesn't stand a chance here. He has personally seen iMovie/iDvd and he told me that.
The thread starter talked about iMac in his article and wanted to discuss that in here...just when you came in and started talking about Mac Mini. The premium of 4-5K could be there on Mac Mini...and not on iMac. The price difference in that system is approximately 20K.
I think it comes to respecting others' choices. You don't like a computer? Fine. Move on. It'll do no good whining and calling any company names.
I did not call any company names. I just said that Apple is leeching from Open Source community thus they have no right to call other companies as "copycats". Also, the original poster created a huge article just to call names...and now I get blamed? Jeez...
What I do have, is a good business degree, and what I'll have in future, is a even better business degree.
Good for you...and this matters to us how?
IF you think I have no points as far as the MS v/s Apple debate goes, well please check other threads in this very forum. You'd find a lot of points that I didn't even mention, because I thought this topic was about how expensive/cheap Apple computers are, and not which OS is better.
Well you thought so...but the original poster did not. He himself deviated the thread from the track and wanted to discuss his new article about "copying". Also, you don't seem to be as saintly as you are projecting your self...you yourself were talking about "copying" before I came in and now you are talking about being on topic?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323408&postcount=21
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323474&postcount=25
???
As I already mentioned, IF what eddie is telling about history is indeed true, then Apple did indeed do some things the wrong way, but we are not here to discuss what is ethically correct and what's not, we are discussing which OS is better, more stable and offers better productivity and ease of use and the Macintosh can whip Windows red and blue any day of the week. There are very few departments in which Windows is better than a Mac and the Mac is better than Windows in every other field. It's almost perfect!
So, it would be lovely if you could all just discount all the off-topic crap from this discussion and talk about the topic at hand: Apple (Macintosh) vs. Microsoft (Windows).
LOL!!!
You so wish you hadn't written that "copying" article...don't you? :D
As far as the IF is concerned...you still didn't google :?

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
...and you are entitled to do that? You are entitled to judge people and say that other people don't have a life, that they post trash and that they have pathetic attitude? Seriously man...don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you.

You did it twice. I replied when I thought you crossed the line a bit too much. It is in record, mate. Your lies won't work here, sorry.

The thread starter talked about iMac in his article and wanted to discuss that in here...just when you came in and started talking about Mac Mini.

He talked about Apple computers in general. I'm sorry if your knowledge about Macs is limited. I can't help it, though.

The premium of 4-5K could be there on Mac Mini...and not on iMac. The price difference in that system is approximately 20K.
You're talking about a Conroe desktop. The iMac uses Merom chips. It is, essentially, a laptop inside a computer case. BTW, have you ever used a Mac or OS X? What do you know about the iMac, Mac Mini etc?

I did not call any company names. I just said that Apple is leeching from Open Source community thus they have no right to call other companies as "copycats". Also, the original poster created a huge article just to call names...and now I get blamed? Jeez...
Jeez yeah... I'm talking about you. Yes, you're calling names. Again, it is in record. Your lies won't work, again.

Good for you...and this matters to us how?

I stated it to counter your sense of 'superiority'. I know where you're coming from.
Well you thought so.
I still feel you're trolling this thread as you've got nothing more to contribute to this thread. Go check out macs first and then post.

If you've got nothing more to contribute, and are going to state the same points again and again, you'd be considered a troll.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
You did it twice. I replied when I thought you crossed the line a bit too much. It is in record, mate. Your lies won't work here, sorry.
I crossed the line? Where? My lies? :?
He talked about Apple computers in general. I'm sorry if your knowledge about Macs is limited. I can't help it, though.
Try and just help yourself...cos you seem to failing to that for the moment.
You're talking about a Conroe desktop. The iMac uses Merom chips. It is, essentially, a laptop inside a computer case. BTW, have you ever used a Mac or OS X? What do you know about the iMac, Mac Mini etc?
I am a security incharge at an MNC and we have mixed bag of almost every kind of computers. We have laptops, desktops which include systems from Apple as well. I have used enough of them...:D
Jeez yeah... I'm talking about you. Yes, you're calling names. Again, it is in record. Your lies won't work, again.
You seriously need to read my posts or if you actually read them...then you simply don't get the essence. I just called them leechers...that is calling them names? WOW!!!
I stated it to counter your sense of 'superiority'. I know where you're coming from.
I have already seen from your posts how much you "know". Pretending won't help :)
I still feel you're trolling this thread as you've got nothing more to contribute to this thread. Go check out macs first and then post.

If you've got nothing more to contribute, and are going to state the same points again and again, you'd be considered a troll.
As far as I can see, my posts have been more constructive then yours and you are the one who is trolling. If it hurts your ego that some one ripped you apart in a debate...not my fault :p

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
From Wikipedia
Fanboy or fanboi is a term used to describe an individual (usually male, though the feminine version fangirl may be used for females) who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

"Fanboys" remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors that differ from their point of view. They are also typically hateful to the opposing brand or competition of their obession regardless of its merits or achievements.
Sounds familiar?

Why hasn't the topic been changed to GX and Eddie v/s Aryayush and Andy? Coz that's what the thread seems to be about.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
I am a security incharge at an MNC

Who cares?

I have already seen from your posts how much you "know". Pretending won't help :)

Thanks for the needless judgement

As far as I can see, my posts have been more constructive then yours and you are the one who is trolling. If it hurts your ego that some one ripped you apart in a debate...not my fault :p

Aww.. self proclaimed winner.. tsk tsk

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
I crossed the line? Where? My lies? :?
Check your posts on the first page.

You seriously need to read my posts or if you actually read them...then you simply don't get the essence. I just called them leechers...that is calling them names? WOW!!!
I was talking about calling ppl rich, fanboy etc. Sorry for not making that clear

As far as I can see, my posts have been more constructive then yours and you are the one who is trolling.

If you think so, so be it.

Aww talking about yourself, eh?

For others: This is what happens when kids don't drink Complan when they're small.

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
No personal insults please.
If you people want to continue healthy discussion then let any of the mod know.

mail2and, eddie: please do not indulge in name calling or picture showing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom