Any B Tech CS guys here??

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
i agree to all the above points guys.. and thanks for the super valuable info..
but marks do matter to my parents..:(
that's why i was thinking of studying the sem course early and then get onto programming..
can anyone tell me the best resource of learning c++..?? also what certifications shall i opt for keeping in mind my game programming dream..:?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
that's why i was thinking of studying the sem course early and then get onto programming..
can anyone tell me the best resource of learning c++..?? also what certifications shall i opt for keeping in mind my game programming dream..:?

past programming experience?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Keep up your percentage to good level (within top 10).

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
ritvij - stick to C in the beginning if you want to become a game developer later you could switch to ruby..

Also I shud tell you being a game developer means ur math(algebra/statistics/calculus) shud be KICKA$$$$$!!!!

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
ritvij - stick to C in the beginning if you want to become a game developer later you could switch to ruby..

Also I shud tell you being a game developer means ur math(algebra/statistics/calculus) shud be KICKA$$$$$!!!!

yup!! i have no problem in maths... can someone please tell me how i shuld prep my 1st sem notes.. also please can someone clarify what the certification courses are about?? i dont know a thing about any of these!! can i go for them in these 2 free months?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Ritvij - If you can raytrace an Image or better even... a short video on a 4 core CPU using all cores by the end of 3rd year then that will prove to be more useful than any certificate out there.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Free time? Utiliize it here.

*www.coursera.org/
Udacity - Free Classes. Awesome Instructors. Inspiring Community.

There is NO point, absolutely NO point of working overly hard on Yindan Engineering crapfest.

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Free time? Utiliize it here.

*www.coursera.org/
Udacity - Free Classes. Awesome Instructors. Inspiring Community.

There is NO point, absolutely NO point of working overly hard on Yindan Engineering crapfest.

thanks very much for the great links..! i loved udacity.. do you know of any other similar tutorial for c++ or VB.net??? it is helping a lot in brushing my python skills...

mitraark

Decrepit
Don't overdose on tutorial videos now , be specific to what you want to learn.

I'd definitely recommended getting your basic c++ / python programming skills solid before moving to more complex "Game Developing" studies.

Also , the subjects like Operating Systems , Computer Architecture , Algorithms are important to have knowledge of even though they might be taught in a very disinteresting way [ case in most colleges :( ]

doomgiver

Warframe
lfc, ty for those links, i forgot them xD

sometimes, if you are good enough, you will find that your teachers know less than you about the subject.

happened to me in my operating systems course xD
i gave the teacher a lecture on security and cryptography and why linux does not need to reboot everyday.

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Don't overdose on tutorial videos now , be specific to what you want to learn.

I'd definitely recommended getting your basic c++ / python programming skills solid before moving to more complex "Game Developing" studies.

Also , the subjects like Operating Systems , Computer Architecture , Algorithms are important to have knowledge of even though they might be taught in a very disinteresting way [ case in most colleges :( ]

any specific books on these topics??

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
For C++ books you can check: "Let Us C++" by Yeshwant Kanetkar. This gets you up with the basics and get you ready for real-world programming. Also check the C++ book by Herbert Schildt (Do not remember the book name now).

Once you're done with the programs in these books, you can get into real world programming by contributing to open source projects from sourceforge, if that is your cup of tea. I strongly recommend this since this is as close you can get to professional coding considering that you are still in college.

Last edited by a moderator:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
For C++ books you can check: "Let Us C++" by Yeshwant Kanetkar. This gets you up with the basics and get you ready for real-world programming. Also check the C++ book by Herbert Schildt (Do not remember the book name now).

Once you're done with the programs in these books, you can get into real world programming by contributing to open source projects from sourceforge, if that is your cup of tea. I strongly recommend this since this is as close you can get to professional coding considering that you are still in college.

:lol: seriously?

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
i looked at reviews for let us c++ and they are.. horrible... people have said that it is nothing but a waste of time..:?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
+ 1 for Udacity.
Thats how things are supposed to be taught. Such a good endeavour.

Try deittel and deittel for C++
or even thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel, his books are free to download.
And as a generalisation, avoid books by indian authors, no matter what your teacher (future teacher) tells you. You'll get good marks, but thats all you'll get.

T

The Conqueror

Check out the lectures by David J Mallan from CS50 Harvard Course (I guess now they have opened up more of their Comp. Sc courses). The lectures are awesome..

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^Yup.
He is right.
Digit has bundled tons of CS/PHP video lectures by David J. Malan on their 2011 DVDs.
Watched all of them.Ver Nice.
BTW *www.flipkart.com/ivor-horton-s-beg...CA--&ref=4e409f62-b552-4b97-b97e-71613d2f3747
This is one of the best C++ book i have read and used so far.
Very Intuitive and covers both C++ and VC++ for beginners and advanced level.Worth the money.

Top Bottom