Any B Tech CS guys here??

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
i did.. but i want to know from any current student that what all i have to go through in engineering...:p

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
They teach **** in the name of Computer Science..
But since you asked..
The first year is all about Science..Physics, Chem, Maths stuff...they will teach you C or C++
Second year is about Maths more on C and C++ including Data Structures...and also Electrical and Mechanical subjects...
Third year is all about Computer Science..they will teach you Java, Networking, Algorithms, Computer architecture and stuff
Fourth year is the same...Artificial Intelligence, Design Algorithms, Software Testing and the likes...

Mind you that, sans few, the teachers don't know **** about teaching...they are there to do their jobs and give you marks...

I would seriously suggest you doing prep on your own along with the college studies...if you like programming then you have to carefully plan out and learn most of the coding languages out there..start with C, C++..move onto Java, Ruby and if you want Python...C# is another good language...also learn video editing, basic 2D, 3D designing and you might get better at movie making(3D)...all these skills combined with your intellect and creativity will, definitely, do wonders for your career as a future game designer..and even if you don't get into game development these skills will open a whole lot of options for you...

4 years is a lot of time to learn the art..after which you will not get the time to get into it and learn all that stuff....so if you can, take interest and learn all that stuff while completing your B.Tech...Good Luck :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Don't expect to be "taught" anything during CS. And rather expect to be dragged down to the level of the retards and be prepared to fight. Good luck.
If you have dough, consider going abroad.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Don't expect to be "taught" anything during CS. And rather expect to be dragged down to the level of the retards and be prepared to fight. Good luck.
If you have dough, consider going abroad.

True Story!!
my course ends this month! -phew-

@Liverpool_fan If it's not much of a trouble, care to suggest me books on Java and Database?

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
that 40 lakh salary news made someone change plans ;)

didn't get you sorry..!

@Reaper_vivek-- can you recommend some books that i shall study from for making notes coz i am free for next 2 months.
i wanted to go for a game programming course but my dad has said to get a b tech degree and then do whatsoever i want!

i know java but not c++...:/

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
didn't get you sorry..!

@Reaper_vivek-- can you recommend some books that i shall study from for making notes coz i am free for next 2 months.
i wanted to go for a game programming course but my dad has said to get a b tech degree and then do whatsoever i want!

i know java but not c++...:/

Well there are colleges which offer B.Tech CS with specializations in Game Development...eg Backstage pass(in collaboration with JNU, i think)

If you already know java then learn more and practice in these 2 months..or you can learn basic Ruby from here Kidsruby.com
and also go through this : 7 Ways to Learn to Code Right Now for Free

Though you should learn C++ first..It is the most basic and important language there is...I may not be able to help you much with the books, ask liverpool_fan...Head over to stackoverflow.com, You will learn a lot from there..

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Well there are colleges which offer B.Tech CS with specializations in Game Development...eg Backstage pass(in collaboration with JNU, i think)

If you already know java then learn more and practice in these 2 months..or you can learn basic Ruby from here Kidsruby.com
and also go through this : 7 Ways to Learn to Code Right Now for Free

Though you should learn C++ first..It is the most basic and important language there is...I may not be able to help you much with the books, ask liverpool_fan...Head over to stackoverflow.com, You will learn a lot from there..

can you just tell me what books i would have to study during the first sem???

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Some random Physics, Chemistry, Math crap which you'll forget after a couple of weeks after giving the exams. Don't bother with the syllabus apart from passing/scoring marks.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
While studying CS (!) try complete as many certification course as possible from mcsa, ccna. You may try to complete some offered by Oracle too. Those are the main things that will come into play if you have any intention to study MS from Europe/UK/USA etc. Specially the first 2 series of programmes increases ETS PI a lot. At the time of interview they don't give sh!t about any result apart from IITs. Most of them thinks that in India, there are no good institutions apart from IITs.

Protip: study the original semister course for only 1 month (before sem) and devote rest of the time to learn languages and parsing the above mentioned courses and the degrees.

Don't study those crap so early. Read the post of me.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Some advice I can give you is detailed as follows:

1) You don't really need the stuff you study in your B.Tech to do real world work.
2) Some of the stuff you learn truly is important, but only if you're in the top echelon of chip design at some firm. For computer science/engineering, these are:

- Digital Electronics
- Computer Organization (this is basically stuff you already know but explained in a better manner so that you know to design a functional machine from the ground up).
- Data Structures (useful if you're into compiler development and that's a high paying industry)
- Operating Systems (if you're an enthusiast, you know this already)
- Theory of Computer Science (ONLY if you're a uber-geek university scientist who's hell bent on solving the computational equations)

Can't really think of anything else that's truly important.

Study well, try to score marks if you can (marks and knowledge do not have a relation, by the way). Other than that there really is nothing else you should know about B.Tech in CS/IT

Top Bottom