Any B Tech CS guys here??

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
yup, +100 for udacity.. its the future of education guys...
@sujeet- ty for the link.. just ordered it..
have started learning c++ from this

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I wanted to be a game developer once.... then as somebody said, the salaries in the news made me change my plan... I still studied CS though, wanted to purse MBA, aspired something, wanted something else, aimed to get job in some web dev company, did web dev in college days.... and guess what!
finally ended up in a game dev job ..... i sort of like it, but don't like it that much also..

game developer.. LOL, by studying CS, heck you won't even become a proper developer... CS will just dumb you down to its level.. all universities!! as liverpool said.
if you have the passion you got to do it yourself outside the college...

besides decide what you want to be exactly, jack of all but master of none, i.e an indie game dev or
game ENGINE developer, game artist, level design, there is physics, AI etc.. there are so many aspects to creating a game..

by studying c,c++,java, XYZ.. for years you will never become a game developer...
instead just create a full game for Android or iOS, tic tac toe to start with... that's what makes you a game dev... if you don't hv 1, get 1 smart phone... you are missing out everything in game dev world.... the recent trends i mean..
and yes, do take CS in engineering, it makes your life lot easier.

good luck.

Last edited:
B.Tech CS = PITA

In the language of LFC_fan, and if you really want to talk about engineering in general, head to irc.freenode.net/#krow the irc channel where you can shoot out stuff directly ;)

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
I wanted to be a game developer once.... then as somebody said, the salaries in the news made me change my plan... I still studied CS though, wanted to purse MBA, aspired something, wanted something else, aimed to get job in some web dev company, did web dev in college days.... and guess what!
finally ended up in a game dev job ..... i sort of like it, but don't like it that much also..

game developer.. LOL, by studying CS, heck you won't even become a proper developer... CS will just dumb you down to its level.. all universities!! as liverpool said.
if you have the passion you got to do it yourself outside the college...

besides decide what you want to be exactly, jack of all but master of none, i.e an indie game dev or
game ENGINE developer, game artist, level design, there is physics, AI etc.. there are so many aspects to creating a game..

by studying c,c++,java, XYZ.. for years you will never become a game developer...
instead just create a full game for Android or iOS, tic tac toe to start with... that's what makes you a game dev... if you don't hv 1, get 1 smart phone... you are missing out everything in game dev world.... the recent trends i mean..
and yes, do take CS in engineering, it makes your life lot easier.

good luck.

i agree completely.. but i didn't know how to start android devlopment.. i read the ft to android app development but didn't quite get it from where to start..
is there any place where i can get started..?? i mean once i get the hang of what to do aftear downloading the sdk i can get going....:?:?
i have an iOS device and my uncle has an android.. but for iOS development i heard i need a mac..(is it true??)
BTW, where do you work?
i want to be an engine programmer..

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
start with android hello world, then the tutorials for creating games.. look for box 2d, and engine...
for iOS dev, yes you need a Mac machine plus 100$ developer account... you can rent one online though.. not a good idea... am not sure but you could try hackintosh.. ;)
i work at adobe, shockwave 3d/flash 3d engines.. its engine and the tech inside.. its a c++ job...

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
i agree completely.. but i didn't know how to start android devlopment.. i read the ft to android app development but didn't quite get it from where to start..
is there any place where i can get started..?? i mean once i get the hang of what to do aftear downloading the sdk i can get going....:?:?
i have an iOS device and my uncle has an android.. but for iOS development i heard i need a mac..(is it true??)
BTW, where do you work?
i want to be an engine programmer..
For iOS, you need a Mac and Apple Dev Account which costs $100 one time fee. Mac mini starts at 33K. 45K one is recommended though.

For Android, you have - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (other phones will also do) or Pandaboard or both.

You can also add a touch screen to Pandaboard: *www.idasystems.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Panda_Board_Expansion.310223058_std.jpg

Both Pandaboard ES and Galaxy Nexus have the reference Android platform. TI OMAP 4460 and PowerVR SGX540 graphics.

If you are simply creating an application or a game, an Android phone is enough.

But if you are getting deep down to the kernel level and want to experiment, you'd want to have something more versatile like the Pandaboard ES.

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
ohhh.....:( dad wont buy a mac at any cost.. will have to get myself into a very good college first..:p:p
ain't developing possible on a macbook.. was plannin to get one on admission..
my uncle has desire hd..

Top Bottom