Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Suggestions for free Antivirus or Internet Security.I'll be online for most of the times. I've been using Avast since 6 years :). Didn't find any problem with it. Should i continue with it? Or new brand has come which is better than Avast?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
stick to avast. Avast it increasing its feature set in a regular basis. But the one thing they still lack is the repair file feature. Till now i have cleaned off 10,000 viruses of my PC or friend but not even once had repair worked.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
stick to avast. Avast it increasing its feature set in a regular basis. But the one thing they still lack is the repair file feature. Till now i have cleaned off 10,000 viruses of my PC or friend but not even once had repair worked.

Repairing is possible only for very weak viruses and I have seen only Kaspersky doing this.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Sam - even I've not seen any AV repaired even a single file ( specially executable files ) successfully ;-) and ~10K virus infected files or 10k viruses of different types - you should be rewarded as the Most Experienced Virus Cleaner of the TDF forum - we should really think about starting a MEVC award ;-)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@ Sam - even I've not seen any AV repaired even a single file ( specially executable files ) successfully ;-) and ~10K virus infected files or 10k viruses of different types - you should be rewarded as the Most Experienced Virus Cleaner of the TDF forum - we should really think about starting a MEVC award ;-)

quick heal used to do it :-|

and its not different virus rather most are the same type. Some of my friends never use antivirus. their theory is antivirus slows down system and games. So whenever their system stops responding or breaks down cause of excessive infection, i get called (cause i always have latest version or updates) and end up install avast/avira and the virus kicking starts :-D

Minion

Conversation Architect
quick heal used to do it :-|

and its not different virus rather most are the same type. Some of my friends never use antivirus. their theory is antivirus slows down system and games. So whenever their system stops responding or breaks down cause of excessive infection, i get called (cause i always have latest version or updates) and end up install avast/avira and the virus kicking starts :-D

Vipre, Unthreat,Avira have disinfection tech.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
all of the Avast better have a look at this ;-)

*blog.avast.com/2012/03/15/iyogi-support-service-removed/

Vignesh B

Youngling
AntiVirus Name: Avast
Free or Paid: Free
Protection Type: Antivirus, Sandbox, Webrep

User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate: 4
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes. I feel the present version has pretty decent feature-set. I think it is one of the most customisable AV in the market.
Comments: I have been using Avast along with Comodo firewall and Malwarebytes Antimalware for the past couple of years. Yet to get infected.

coldhart

Journeyman
Kaspersky IS 2013 is the best detection & protection against the virus is top notch with very little load on system

dan4u

Took Off!!!
AntiVirus Name: Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Free or Paid: Rs 531 (flipkart)
Protection Type: Antivirus, anti-spyware, phishing, spam, banner

User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate: 4
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes, the interface is simple, its light on resources. The initial updates after first install can be quite large.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
all of the Avast better have a look at this ;-)

*blog.avast.com/2012/03/15/iyogi-support-service-removed/

^ Not a problem for me. Haven't felt any need to contact support in the last 6 years I've been using Avast.

I use Avast Home + Microsoft Security Essentials on my system, and must say that the way Avast has evolved from the Version 4.1 (can't recall the version number exactly), I started using in 2006 when I moved from IC Chip to Digit, is really amazing. Tried almost all of them including Norton (is provided free of cost from my Company)+Norton 360, McAfee (Got 6 months bundled with my PC), AVG, QuickHeal, and Kaspersky too. Avast was the one, stuck on, not only because it's free, but also because it's light on system resources and has a very good feature of Boot Time Scan, which I can't remember which other antivirus software gives.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, Avast has improved a lot ( and this was the first free AV I've used back on 2005 ) over the past years and now at the top position of freeware antivirus programs

BTW, check this out : Fortinet, Inc. : Network Security Software | Network Security | Business Network Security

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I like bitdefender very much. It is quite good. The interface needs a little work though, requires too many clicks to get simple things done.

But it is pretty cheap Security Software Price List India: software: Flipkart.com

HTBR

Broken In
Well i am using Kaspersky 2012 Internet Security but i will be buying a new RIG this week. So can i deactivate Kaspersky from my current PC and reactivate on the new PC (different HDD) with the same key?:Fingerx:

Sania

Right off the assembly line
Hi,:oops:Thanks for the advice. I use the Windows Firewall. Have not faced any trouble so far.

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
AntiVirus Name: Microsoft Security Essentials
Free or Paid: Free (Only for Genuine Windows)
Price in INR [If Paid]: ~Nil~
Protection Type:
*Real-time protection
*System scanning
*System cleaning
*Windows Firewall integration
*Dynamic signature service
*Rootkit protection
*Protection against real threats, not good software !

Ratings out of 5
User Friendly:5/5
Detection Rate:4.5/5
Detection Time:1~4/5 *
Price:5 (FREE)
Overall:4.8

Recommend to Use:Yes, I used McAfee Total Protection but that was crap, took the whole day to scan even a 220gB Hard Drive and scanning Plug-In devices never finishes !
This is a great Antivirus for free and it detects viruses.

Comments:Only for Genuine Windows !

*You can alter detection rate by altering the limit of CPU usage

Alien

Journeyman
Get F-Secure Internet Security 2013 for upto 1 year or more for free. More details here.

I didn't have to use different email id's or even proxy sites to get the keys as mentioned in the link above. Using Opera Mini on my mobile i got around 10 different keys using the same email id. Just cleared my browsers history and cookies after registering, before reapplying for key again. Each key extends the license validity by 3 months.

Coming to the suite, it is light and doesn't use much resources. Installing is a pain using slow connections, as only a network installer is available. No native 64-bit version but works flawlessly on my 64-bit system. Interface is dated; but protection is rated highly by independent labs, uses Bitdefender engine. 2012 version had native firewall, but from 2013 version onwards they are using windows inbuilt firewall with added filters. Scan times are good too. Overall a good security suite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom