Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Was using ESET smart security years back ....
I got a free 1yr licence for KIS 2012 ... so used that ....

Now the licence is gone .... I have avast free on my laptop

Now i have to install one good piece in ma PC ....
I heard that the latest ESET versions are going crap and didn't score well as i expected in many reviews ..

Is that true ...

Please suggest me a security suite ..( i want a added option to block programs from accessing the internet like max payne3.exe ;) )

currently using avast free + comodo firewall with defense+ off

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Norton Internet Security 2012
Bitdefender Total Security 2013
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Was using ESET smart security years back ....
I got a free 1yr licence for KIS 2012 ... so used that ....

Now the licence is gone .... I have avast free on my laptop

Now i have to install one good piece in ma PC ....
I heard that the latest ESET versions are going crap and didn't score well as i expected in many reviews ..

Is that true ...

Please suggest me a security suite ..( i want a added option to block programs from accessing the internet like max payne3.exe ;) )

ESET is still good as always. I'm using it from 4 yrs.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!

Avast Home+MS Security Essentials (if you have a genuine windows) would be more than enough.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
No, in my case I'm not facing any such problems. I'm using the combination on both my Laptop as well as on my Desktop and as far as the performance is concerned, the configs are in my signature for your reference (I've used the combination on my desktop before a partial upgrade with 1.5GB DDR RAM too), I'm sure both of them won't cause any problems on modern day machines capable of running windows vista or higher. Avast works well on most Windows XP systems also as it's requirements are very less, but can't say about the combination on XP machines.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ currently I'm not using any AV or other security apps at-all - using my wits and getting things only from trusted sources ;-)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ That's for the geeks. But, viruses are geekier than us, so for added protection, IMO, we should have AV. I too have some security measures enabled in order to detect viruses before they reach my system.
For example, I've put up icons on my removable drives and whenever I connect the removable drives to any untrusted system, it helps a lot as the autorun.inf file, used to enable/display the icon in my removable drives gets overwritten in case the system is infected and thus lets me know that my pen drive has virus/script. Still, I'm using AV's for the added protection.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ currently I'm not using any AV or other security apps at-all - using my wits and getting things only from trusted sources ;-)

I do have protection, but they apart from updating themselves, they do nothing. ;)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^ That's for the geeks. But, viruses are geekier than us, so for added protection, IMO, we should have AV. I too have some security measures enabled in order to detect viruses before they reach my system.
For example, I've put up icons on my removable drives and whenever I connect the removable drives to any untrusted system, it helps a lot as the autorun.inf file, used to enable/display the icon in my removable drives gets overwritten in case the system is infected and thus lets me know that my pen drive has virus/script. Still, I'm using AV's for the added protection.

However geek any person be, he/she can't defend against viruses spread through external drives.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
However geek any person be, he/she can't defend against viruses spread through external drives.
That's what I pointed out. What we can atmost do is, put up a few measures to safeguard, but such measures are always not foolproof.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
talking about Linux and Pen Drive viruses here's something very interesting .. ;-)
Mandriva Linux Chronicles: When formatting a flash drive doesn't erase a virus

Top Bottom