Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ok. Now I have made up my mind to format the Hard Disk. I have never formatted the hard disk before. Which is the best way?? Boot with the windows disk and format all the partitions??

boot with windows cd & delete/format C/System drive. reinstall windows. if you have antivirus in a clean media like Digit DVD, install it & without checking for update and all do a boot scan or full system scan. before that disable system restore.

now update the antivirus and keep PC clean.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
antivirus many time ignores system restore (it was AVG which has such a setting if i remember) or fails to remove virus from those folders. so disabling system restore will remove that folder.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^ if possible u can upload one infected file to www.virustotal.com..... this site will check those file with more than 20 anti-malware software and can tell u about infection name.... and then u can may download specific virus fix tool....

utkarsh73

Journeyman
During the bootscan, if an infection is encountered it prompts for delete, disinfect and ignore. I want to ask is, if I select delete then some system files or important files may get deleted. So I select disinfect in most of the cases. does this really disinfects or not??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
avast can't repair files. disinfect may mean move to chest. delete files. if it deletes important data, let it go. you can't do anything now. keep any of these files and you will end up wasting several more hours/days fixing your system.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
During the bootscan, if an infection is encountered it prompts for delete, disinfect and ignore. I want to ask is, if I select delete then some system files or important files may get deleted. So I select disinfect in most of the cases. does this really disinfects or not??

Most antivirus's rarely disinfect (only weak viruses are disinfected). Delete them without any thought. If there would be any imp file, most chances are of any exe which you can reinstall, docs rarely fall under this category.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
You are right guys.......
Meanwhile I ran SalityKiller which did a scan and generated the following report..
*img339.imageshack.us/img339/6417/capturekde.jpg

Can anyone please suggest what is this "infected threads"?? If threads are infected then why not processes??

And one more thing is, my PC is behaving normally since the scan. May be scan has fixed the problem. I will wait and see for another day.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
infected threads = registry keys. sality deletes exe files. so most likely any processor sality has infected is long dead.

ok so you scanned with Sality Killer? and Antivirus?

this tool may scan your C directory only. do a antivirus scan. do a avast boot scan + avira as your permanent A/V.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ utkarsh73 - I bet sality will show up on the next av scan - it's not so easy to remove once your pc is infected deeply with sality.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
infected threads = registry keys. sality deletes exe files. so most likely any processor sality has infected is long dead.

ok so you scanned with Sality Killer? and Antivirus?

this tool may scan your C directory only. do a antivirus scan. do a avast boot scan + avira as your permanent A/V.
After scanning with SalityKiller I did not do any other scan. And it scanned my whole hard disk but a bit faster than any other AV could have done.
And no sign of infection since the scan.

@ utkarsh73 - I bet sality will show up on the next av scan - it's not so easy to remove once your pc is infected deeply with sality.
Well, you may be right. There was an instance when it didn't show up for a month after scanning with QuickHeal. I m hoping it doesn't happens this time.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No post on this thread for so long?
Let me try to get a discussion started again.

has anyone used the Avast free Antivirus 7? Review anyone?

get it here: Avast! Free Antivirus Download - Softpedia

shailesh

Broken In
Guys,
where does Microsoft security essentials fit in the race of antiviruses???
Any opinion on this would be appriciated... :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No post on this thread for so long?
Let me try to get a discussion started again.

has anyone used the Avast free Antivirus 7? Review anyone?

get it here: Avast! Free Antivirus Download - Softpedia

Still the best in my books. Yet to face any problem unlike Avira, AVG or MSE in past.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys,
where does Microsoft security essentials fit in the race of antiviruses???
Any opinion on this would be appriciated... :)

here you go ;-)

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Microsoft Security Essentials review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Anti malware software

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Guys, the 1 year license of my Quick Heal Antivirus just expired. So any recommendations for any paid antivirus with a one year licesne? The cheaper the better. and also would be happy it would be available in Flipkart.

or should I buy the latest Quick Heal again? Been using them for 3 years now. No complaints. But just wanted a change :p

Top Bottom