ASHISH65

Technomancer
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X OC and R9 290 OC Review - TechSpot

PowerColor Launches R9 290, 290X, PCS+ and LCS

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
make room for the BIG daddy ;) :D
Theitdepot - Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB DDR5 TRI X OC Version (UEFI) ATI PCI E Graphic Card

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^R9 290X Tri-X is easily the best of all the tested after-market cards considering all aspects.

This looks as a good deal for a custom R9 290 SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD TRI-X R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC -36.8k

ASHISH65

Technomancer
AMD’s Mantle finally emerges: Turns out it’s actually for boosting low-end CPUs, not GPUs | ExtremeTech

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
people buying APU + GPU will be largely benefited, this is something nvidia would do :( besides when someone is ready to buy a gaming rig with 780Ti or 290X, he will never buy anything less than i7-4770K for sure, not in next one and half years at least

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think it will also benefit people running Core i3 or lower. Not something which I was expecting, but still good for them as it reduces the bottleneck with low-end CPUs.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
in a way people can concentrate more on GPU than CPU when buying a whole rig in a strict budget. The next wave that intrigues me, is that how Intel will have an answer for this, now that AMD has clearly depicted that APU's and FX processors with multiple cores will benefit from Mantel by distinctively better figures than Intel CPU + AMD GPU at entry/mid level gaming machines. Intel+nvidia is out of this equation for now though.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Not that it performs shabbily with the high-end CPUs, around 10% improvement over DX11 on a 3960x or 4960x is good enough IMO. Need to see the image quality tests though.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ That is the reason AMD has brought Mantle into the pricture. Tell me how many games actually use an Extreme Edition 6 Core Intel Processors for their rig, even quad core i7 is also relatively rare. Most of the gamers relies on their unlocked i5 processors. Now before mantle, by going with low or medium range i3 CPU,s though you can save money for getting a better cards, under DirectX, those processors bottlenecks the high end cards by a good margin and that's why Mantle is coming to rescue. It enables the low and mid range CPUs to handle the higher end GPUs very efficiently.

In Battlefied 4, @ 1080P resolution with medium setting, when a 7870K is paired with a R9 290X, the FPS jumps from 100 FPS (DirectX) to straight 160 FPS (Mantle). This is a huge improvement. So consider the case when of tight budget and still you are forced to buy a i5 4000 series processor by spending 12K which cut sort your Graphics card budget because you know a i3 4100 or FX-6300 might bottleneck your planned 280X. Now with Mantle enabled games, FX-6300 can provide a hell of a performance due to far higher level of CPU optimization, enabling it to handle more Graphics card draw calls, hence providing superb performance.

BTW, here is the Mantle performance review link: *linksredirect.com/?pub_id=54CL36&url=*www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_mantle_preview,1.html

Piyush

Lanaya
Guys.. there is a bit difference in price and performance between R9 270X and GTX 760... the price difference is about 3 K.
How much performance difference is present? And the performance is justified by the 3k margin?

I'm thinking of buying either of these 2 cards in early March.... so asking for your opinions

And how come this card is priced so low while other variants of same card costs 3k more?

R9 270X

EDIT: Nevermind, its R9 270 and others are 270X..
So back to my 1 st question

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Guys.. there is a bit difference in price and performance between R9 270X and GTX 760... the price difference is about 3 K.
How much performance difference is present? And the performance is justified by the 3k margin?

I'm thinking of buying either of these 2 cards in early March.... so asking for your opinions

And how come this card is priced so low while other variants of same card costs 3k more?

R9 270X

EDIT: Nevermind, its R9 270 and others are 270X..
So back to my 1 st question

Get Gtx 760 with eyes closed,it worth over R9 270x

*media.bestofmicro.com/T/Q/404126/original/bioshock-fr.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7503/59838.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7503/59826.png

Top Bottom