AMD Rx 200 series

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
no talk about them? I mean, a dedicated thread for talking about a $999 GPU which none of you will ever buy and no dedicated thread for a faster GPU @ half the price?

R9 290X kicked Titan/GTX 780 in the butt and came @ $549.

nVidia responded with price cuts.

Now R9 290 comes in @ $399 and bests/equals GTX 780.

nVidia's price cuts rendered useless.

AMD's Radeon R9 290 graphics card reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 1
AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290 Review
AMD Radeon R9 290 Review: Fast And $400, But Is It Consistent? - Digging Deeper Into Hawaii

yeah, loud and hot they are. Not really bothered as custom cooled designs will get released to fix that and my HD 6950 runs @ 90 C full load anyway. Still going strong. People have their ancient 8800 GTs and HD 4850s running at same temps still.

Sure, GTX 780 Ti will turn out to be faster, but AMD cards are the ones which have caused the price cuts. Kudos to them. ;)

Previous generations HD 7000 and GTX 600/700 have been rubbish wrt performance/money ratio.

R9 290X crossfire shaming Titan SLI, yeah in "smoothness" as well. ;) - HARDOCP - Introduction - AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire Video Card Review

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude do u flasg bios to unlock shader in ur 6950
No, that wouldn't work on mine. It only worked on reference cards and very few custom cards. Mine is a custom one and I got mine very late when HD 7000 were a couple of months away.

kartikoli

Busy!!
R9 270X = HD7950 (AMD Radeon R9 270X 2 GB Review | techPowerUp)

this solid performance forced me to buy this card and will be in my rig soon

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
AMD 's 290X a great card, but that does not take away the fact that it runs as hot as a frying pan just outta the box, 95deg, GTX780 with way better cooling noise level performs equally great and better with aftermarket editions with 20-30$ less, not to mention that the 290X needs a serious attention to custom cooling if needs to be oc'ed where as the MSI and Galaxy even EVGA classy 780s are already beating the 290X in performance chart or rivaling at with less money and same performance. GTX 770 is already faster at stock than 280X and at OC much faster.

AMD sure have released great card for performance/dollar but have risked stability and consistency of units, its not really a good idea for a great organization like them to go after a rival card and release units just to beat it down after 8 months of vigorous sale. Titan was awfully prices by nGreedia , yes thats true, but a awful amount of people has already bought, chewed and played games days and nights,...and that too with 2 or 3 way of them. No one asked AMD to "please dont release a card with 1000$ with more perf than titan", what barred them? love for society? poor and hungry people in third world countries? global warming? ....if they could have they would have, Titan bening an overpriced card is not even worth mentioning, but its also sad that AMD had to release too many boilers to bring it down.

now AMD will release a card out of toy plastic which runs at 110 deg cel, replaces you're table fan, faster than 290X and priced at $50 and people will say "wow look that card, so VFM and also beating titan"...had nvidia released a card similar as this, everyone would go up in flames and say "look again a 80+deg card, what! are we looking at a room-heater!"

a healthy competition is always good and mature, AMD nvidia are not our parents, gurdians, uncles , teachers nor have fed us , not our friends, they are running a business not a charity , had AMD been in nvidia's position today, i doubt they would have released such cards at such low price.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD 's 290X a great card, but that does not take away the fact that it runs as hot as a frying pan just outta the box, 95deg, GTX780 with way better cooling noise level performs equally great and better with aftermarket editions with 20-30$ less, not to mention that the 290X needs a serious attention to custom cooling if needs to be oc'ed where as the MSI and Galaxy even EVGA classy 780s are already beating the 290X in performance chart or rivaling at with less money and same performance. GTX 770 is already faster at stock than 280X and at OC much faster.

AMD sure have released great card for performance/dollar but have risked stability and consistency of units, its not really a good idea for a great organization like them to go after a rival card and release units just to beat it down after 8 months of vigorous sale. Titan was awfully prices by nGreedia , yes thats true, but a awful amount of people has already bought, chewed and played games days and nights,...and that too with 2 or 3 way of them. No one asked AMD to "please dont release a card with 1000$ with more perf than titan", what barred them? love for society? poor and hungry people in third world countries? global warming? ....if they could have they would have, Titan bening an overpriced card is not even worth mentioning, but its also sad that AMD had to release too many boilers to bring it down.

now AMD will release a card out of toy plastic which runs at 110 deg cel, replaces you're table fan, faster than 290X and priced at $50 and people will say "wow look that card, so VFM and also beating titan"...had nvidia released a card similar as this, everyone would go up in flames and say "look again a 80+deg card, what! are we looking at a room-heater!"

a healthy competition is always good and mature, AMD nvidia are not our parents, gurdians, uncles , teachers nor have fed us , not our friends, they are running a business not a charity , had AMD been in nvidia's position today, i doubt they would have released such cards at such low price.
Wonder what you used to think when we had X1950 XTX, 6800 GT, HD 4870 and GTX 480. Cards have always ran on the hotter side and on bigger nodes.

This card does run hot but the chip is a great one. You do know the difference. Designed to do so and has sensors controlling it to not go beyond 95 C. It's only the reference cooler which is crap and that's the only issue. anyway, custom cooled cards will fix it with a $20 premium. Noise as well. Who purchases reference cards anyway? Most don't.

heh, R9 290X isn't even the GPU to get anymore. ;) R9 290 @ $399 rendered everything meaningless. After slightly expensive custom cards get released, it will be the card to get. Already edges out GTX 780 in most reviews.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Agreed about R9-290, dunno why would even one go for 290X anyway now ? the 290 performed surpassing the retail 290X in some benches across sites! thats totally weird but cool. Even 280X buyers will rethink! 100$ more for incredible performance.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Agreed about R9-290, dunno why would even one go for 290X anyway now ? the 290 performed surpassing the retail 290X in some benches across sites! thats totally weird but cool. Even 280X buyers will rethink! 100$ more for incredible performance.

Only toms reported that not every review site

And it might be fake too you never know

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
sites such as toms never post that much fake reviews, its also there in anand and techpowerup, considering the same board the two PU's are, its possible, not in all bencmarks but some yes, similar to 780 beating titan at stock in some games seen earlier.

The only thing that does not make sense is why AMD pushing their card so damn hard to compete nvidia, its like a football match," they score 2 ok, we score 3 even if it means two red-cards in the team", the only Dulux card which took the single GPU crown over more than 6 months was a boutique stuff, a 1000$ ? anyone could make a whole kickass PC with it, people with wicked money would anyway buy it, its out of equation, beating 780 was a better move, said that, 780 is less price now with better cooling and same performance with factory OC with 290X, now 290 comes with better performance than it and almost same as 290X... so now, AMD must think why the hell they released a flagship card with 150$ more few days back when their non x is touching it with no sweat. victim of their own success.

whichever makes competition tough is good for consumers, but not at the expense of compromising important factors such as temp, can i buy a stock 290X in india and OC it?, i have 45K budget, no why? coz i live in say a hot place and at 95 even if it stays there without throttling , i would not dare OC it after even seeing the reading, nonetheless for 2+ hours of gaming it will give hell to other components!

AMD, one message to you , you dont have to make "beat nvidia" you're product philosophy, u guys have great potential in tech, make good cards with good cooling, know this people will pay 50-100$ more and be happy with it no problem.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
0AMD, one message to you , you dont have to make "beat nvidia" you're product philosophy, u guys have great potential in tech, make good cards with good cooling, know this people will pay 50-100$ more and be happy with it no problem.
First thing first, AMD doesn't make cards. They design GPUs. People who will actually OC will never ever buy a card with reference cooling. 95 C? I understand, but what I just wrote isn't much difficult to guess. Charging extra $30 for cooling is the board makers' job!

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
well to be honest, teams dont matter now, buy anything which u see fit for ur needs, every card is a great card, even titan and 7990 and by need i mean everything, temp, noise, perf/penny. if the points your choice outweighs themselves one compared to other , then it will vary, otherwise its fundamentally same.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
First thing first, AMD doesn't make cards. They design GPUs. People who will actually OC will never ever buy a card with reference cooling. 95 C? I understand, but what I just wrote isn't much difficult to guess. Charging extra $30 for cooling is the board makers' job!

Sapphire r9 290 TOXIC :grin: :grin: :grin:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
First thing first, AMD doesn't make cards. They design GPUs. People who will actually OC will never ever buy a card with reference cooling. 95 C? I understand, but what I just wrote isn't much difficult to guess. Charging extra $30 is the board makers' job!

by card i meant the ref model which bench uses for review. Same goes for nvidia too, moreover, one can OC a stock 780 without paying that 30$.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now coming up with a better reference cooler R9 290 @ $450 and then a board maker charging you extra $30 for a custom cooler. The card which I expect to be around for $430 now would have been available for $480. The choice is yours.

Plus, the fascination people have for custom coolers these days, I dunno if a single guy in this forum has a reference GTX 680 despite reference GTX 680 being completely fine.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
I am with the team that's saves my wallet
And the Red is back (literally) hotter, noisier than before
Its a bit disappointing as with 7870/7950 they. were going in the right direction. Low temps power and good performance.
Nevertheless 290x seems to be the muscle car out there and kudos to them.
Hope we never deal with 1lac cards ever again.

Give that baby some water..head over to OCN to see the true potential

Last edited:
Top Bottom