AMD Piledriver Discussion Thread

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
PD on FM2 socket? Really? Well that could very well imply integrated graphic cores into the die.

I think this architecture will finally show it's worth(if there is any) by 2013, with the successor of PD, made on 22nm, and Win8 out already (probably an SP1 too :p)

But then INTEL will be in some other higher level cloud by then.

debian

Broken In
There have been many changes in the linux 3.2 kernel, which address the unique structure of the bulldozer architecture. Testers running the latest kernel have noticed a boost,sometimes even upto 20% on the fx processors. This tells me despite the obvious shortcomings of the bulldozer platform, some of the blame has to be given to Operating systems, for not coming up with schedulers to match the architecture. Many hardware reviewers tend to ignore this fact, instead focussing on the performance of a 2012 processor on a 2009 ( Read windows 7) OS. I am not saying bulldozer is a brilliant product, if at all it is actually a disappointment. But except for gaming, i dont consider any benchmark done on the windows platform as a true measure of anything.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^Agreed totally. Even if the Packs for Windows 7 or new scheduler in Windows 8 can bring roughly 20% performance improvement in most of the applications that are used frequently then at 11.5 price point, FX8120 is gonna be a winner over 2500K as per the current pricing.
In fact I'm also waiting for that too.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD Describes Piledriver Architecture Peculiarities to Software Developers - X-bit labs

Max 10 core with quad channel support possible, but guess they need a newer socket.

*www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2012-01/amd_15h_family_features.jpg

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD Piledriver Chips to Conquer 4GHz Milestone Thanks to Resonant Clock Mesh Tech - X-bit labs

Souro_Ray

In the zone
As far as i have seen from different forum websites, most of those who went the intel way went with the i5-2500K or i7-2600K. Now, judging by the specs of IB released, most people wont need to upgrade, unless they want to sample a new piece of tech or are crazy power savers.

Purely in my opinion, those who have these high end SB models shouldnt need to upgrade for another couple of years. Is it possible that AMD PD can benefit from this trend? I have my trusty 880GM-UD2H board and dont want to upgrade till AMD and Intel both play all their cards..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD FX 8350 Vishera CPU production in Q3

It all goes well in Q3 2012 AMD enters production and launching this production whenever it feels like it has enough of them. AMD FX 8350 is based on eight Vishera 32nm cores that will support Enhanced AMD turbo core technology, DDR3 1866 and fit the same AM3+ socket. At this time AMD doesn’t mention any clocks.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be better than SNB most probably. And if Windows 8 releases before that, well, we can always hope. ;)

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
but according to what i heard bro,it is possible for amd to fix the performance of PD over BD but it is not possible to fix the power consumption.
Btw does the production of pd has been moved from glofo to tsmc?as glofo and amd are now completely separated from each other.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's pretty near:-

AMD 8350 is a 4.0GHz eight-core

AMD FX-8350 Piledriver CPU Expected to Launch Mid-Q3

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
most likely power consumption will be fixed but performance won't take any huge leap. say matches Phenom IIs across all applications.

Yeah...Instead with BD AMD could have just thrown in 32 nm Phenoms and it would have been an instant hit due to its OC head room and energy efficiency improvement.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Piledriver will be no match for lga 2011 which is for sure. But it has to beat i7 2700k/3770k in all benchmarks to prove itself. It should not target phenom 2's because we don't want phenom 2 like performance anymore but higher than that at affordable prices. Intel has performance but its processors are too pricey due to lack of serious competition.

Steamroller will take on haswell in 2013.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
From TH's test of desktop trinity:
Turning off two of FX-8150's Bulldozer modules gives us the opportunity to run a threaded workload like 3ds Max without slanting the result toward Bulldozer. And once again, the Piledriver-based APU wins by roughly 15%.

so add L3 cache and performance should be up another 10% at best. i doubt Piledriver will beat 2nd gen i7s. Though they should match i7 2600 constantly as P2 X6 came quite close.

Yeah...Instead with BD AMD could have just thrown in 32 nm Phenoms and it would have been an instant hit due to its OC head room and energy efficiency improvement.

they should have done that. And in the meantime work on Piledriver instead. Maybe they were in a real hurry to bring forward their Zambezi platform to market and didn't have time to go back and redesign P2 in the 32nm node. But they have done same with Llano so why not do the same for FX? Or was it that A10.5 was not scalable beyond 6 cores :???:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some early details of Steamroller:-

AMD details Steamroller CPU architecture: A refined Piledriver with a dynamic L2 cache | ExtremeTech

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some really encouraging words here, but then, only time will tell:- ;)

AMD Pushes Steamroller and Excavator Forward, Bullish about Performance Increases

sukesh1090

Adam young
so according to that link expect something from steamroller and take out piledriver from your list.lets wait and see or rather what else we can do ;-)

Top Bottom