AMD Piledriver Discussion Thread

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually architecture wise AMD has always shown something new to the world. But sometimes they implemented in correctly in one go (like Athlon 64 bit), sometimes after couple of tries (Phenom to Phenom II).
Actually how the architecture is implemented is very muchimportant too. Intel is always ahead on it, their architecture might not be very innovative, but implementation is very good, every small element that are part of the architecture, performs very close to its expected performance.

Now we are seeing that AMD is losing ground in single Core performance or we can say in ILP but it is AMD who actually first implemeted separate L1 Data Cache and l1 instruction cache to reduce the coherency issues of ILP techniques like Pipelining, Superscalar etc. Initially Data and instructions are used to reside inside a single L1 cache, resulting cache coherency problem, slow access and inefficient use of cache size.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Don't you think Cilus they don't have much to do on the BD front.....instead of revamping the whole architecture to suit for today's need...some where i saw that win 8 could manage a real core as well as hyper-threaded one efficiently...but that doesn't mean it will improve BD performance or Intel's cpu performance.....
New os will do nothing nor updates to win 7 unless design issues are sorted out to suit the application needs..!

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually Win 8 preview has shown BD performance improvement upto 10% in gaming and Multi-threaded applications. The reason is that it can identify a BD module and the two cores inside it and assign work accordingly. This proper assignment also enables the Turbo core functionality to work in a better way to boost lightly threaded peformance.
But it is true that it does improve the performance of the Sandybridge CPUs too; not in that extent but still. So it is very unlikely that without any revision or hardware tweaks BD will perform better than Sandybridge in Windows 8.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^before the improvement of BD's performance in Win 8,microsoft should work on win8 to improve its user friendliness for desktop users.if win 8 UI stays exactly same in the final version as it is in the preview then it will be another vista for desktop though it may good for tablet ,mobiles and all but win 7 is far more better than win 8 in desktop.so now the question is will people really upgrade to win 8? If not then AMD should work on their hardware to improve its performance in win 7 only.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
MAX Snyper - Actually there is a LOOOOOOOOT that can be done on the BD front.

Bulldozer did exactly what Mr. Meyer wanted to get done from it. It paved the way No more no less!!!

@Piledriver - It will have 7-10 % performance improvement from higher clocks & 3-5% from better IPC. According to AMD.

7-10 % higher - clocks ranging from 3.0 GHz to 4.6GHz!!! (It is 2.8 - 4.2GHz right now.) + 2-3% better IPC - This only means that even if they dont have a good IPC they'll compensate it with better clocks!!!!

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
They have to do something big on this one
Or Intel will be the undisputed master ruling the desktop processor
Sucks to see no competition in processors with 1 company ruling all

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
They have to do something big on this one
Or Intel will be the undisputed master ruling the desktop processor
Sucks to see no competition in processors with 1 company ruling all

This will give Intel the freedom to price their processor as per they want. No Competition = No Consumer = Overpriced. ;)

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
i was just about to post it... but thanks for posting it.

that is a stupid move by AMD.... by then the Ivy bridge would have changed the situation for AMD...

I dont want AMD to fail this time.... better late than never...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
WTF Piledriver core coming with Trinity APU in Q1 2012, and actual Piledriver coming Q3 2012. Epic F@!l

Cilus

laborare est orare
WTF Piledriver core coming with Trinity APU in Q1 2012, and actual Piledriver coming Q3 2012. Epic F@!l

There may a reason for it SKUD, APUs are targeted to mid-range and HTPC segments and will be priced accordingly. So it does not need to be a super performer, it just need to provide enough overall multimedia performance to prove itself and will be sold to the budget conscious customers, no matter if it is a top performer in CPU performance or not. So AMD will have some time to check the CPU performance of the APUs and can add some more tweaks and optimization to the final version of Piledriver.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^if they can work something out with the PD series and the "pricing" ....it will work some how if win-8 takes its advantage.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
There may a reason for it SKUD, APUs are targeted to mid-range and HTPC segments and will be priced accordingly. So it does not need to be a super performer, it just need to provide enough overall multimedia performance to prove itself and will be sold to the budget conscious customers, no matter if it is a top performer in CPU performance or not. So AMD will have some time to check the CPU performance of the APUs and can add some more tweaks and optimization to the final version of Piledriver.

Eh, its not me, Cilus, it's comp@ddict. If we talk about APUs and IGP in general, AMD frankly don't have any competition and neither will have, whatever Intel claims. And I personally think AMD this time is actually doing the right thing, first releasing the lower end before bringing out the mid-high end of Piledriver. They are moving to a newer socket for Trinity with no backward compatibility, so performance might improve.

Actually, I would have loved to see PD to be released in an entirely new socket too. They should have scrapped the whole BD and AM3+ thing at the very first place. Neither 990fx is a great improvement over 890fx. :(

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
But what about those who bought 990fx?they never had BD and if now they don't get even PD they will for sure screw amd.

sukesh1090

Adam young
yup bro but they have already released it and people who bought the boards will expect some life for the new socket as amd is known for it.

debian

Broken In
PD would be launched with a new FM2 Socket. It is suicidal to upgrade to am3+ now. Amd plans to launch a 10-core processor based on pile-driver. I am holding all my cash and waiting for that. I am no fanboy, but love amd for the value they offer. And Intel seriously needs competition, otherwise their future products will be way overpriced.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ well, there isn't anything affirming and there isn't anything denying what you have said.

Top Bottom