Staff member
^^ you are welcome.

BTW, time for some new record ;-)

AMD FX-8350 Overclocked to 8.176 GHz with 8 Cores Enabled | techPowerUp

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Confirmation of what we were suspecting for a long time:-

Windows 8: Does AMD's Bulldozer Architecture Benefit? : Can Bulldozer Be Fixed By Windows 8?

These words are golden:-
Installing Windows 8 does translate to slightly faster benchmark numbers, and without the power spike. But Microsoft's latest certainly cannot be expected to uncork results that many enthusiasts were hoping might have been bottled up by a poorly-optimized operating system. The onus for fixing Bulldozer was clearly on AMD, and we saw the company take a first step toward that goal with its Piledriver-based FX parts.

AMD told us not to expect any additional performance from FX-8350 prior to our review. But now that we know Microsoft plans to roll out performance- and power-altering updates to Windows 8 right away, rather than waiting for a service pack, there's renewed hope for even a small nudge forward.

Then again, software fixes for hardware problems are only viable when software was the problem originally. I remember once telling a programmer that his computer had a bad memory module. Rather than swapping it out, he charged in with determination to create a software-based solution. Had he identified the bad memory cells and kept his system from accessing them, he might have enjoyed about as much success as AMD waiting for Windows 8.

I eventually talked the programmer into fixing the hardware problem, rather than doggedly looking for a never-quite-finished software solution. AMD, do you see where I’m going with this?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, AMD really needs to do something to optimize both single and Multi threaded performance of Bulldozer architecture on Windows OS rather than expecting the OS to be optimized for their Architecture. Lets wait and see what happens after the Performance- and power-altering updates release

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's a new review :
AMD Vishera FX-6300 & FX-4300 Review

and the most interesting parts ;-)
AMD Vishera FX-6300 & FX-4300 Review - Page 15
AMD Vishera FX-6300 & FX-4300 Review - Page 16

sukesh1090

Adam young
ok i read that toms review and it performed more than what i expected from piledriver.it completed just behind 3770k( >$300) and above 3550k ( >$230) in almost all tsts except some single threaded tests.according to me if it looses in single threaded benchmark then those software developers who has to be blamed here rather than AMD because in 2012 they are still giving single threaded softwares almost ten years after the launch of multi core processors and in the world where even mobiles have quad core processors and even intel atom has two threads.
piledriver what i refer as just food for the people to keep thinking about that AMD still has talent in it and it will mostly comeback with a bang with steamroller.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still Phenom II offers better Multi Threaded performance and to get the best possible multi threaded performance from BD/PD you need to have the top end Octa Core cpu ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is apparently AMD's 2013 Desktop roadmap:-

*img.donanimhaber.com//images/haber/37297/amd2013rdmp_dh_2_fx57.jpg

Apart from Radeon HD8xxx & Kabini, nothing to exciting there. Steamroller seems delayed or may be AMD is devoting more to ARM based processors.

Bad. I was looking forward to Kaveri. :(

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ No, but they aren't competing with intel on performance front.

Amd launches piledriver based opteron 6300 for the server market. Its codenamed "Abu Dhabi".

Check more info below:

AnandTech - AMD Launches Opteron 6300 series with "Piledriver" cores

sukesh1090

Adam young
@skud,
i guess steamroller was set to release in 2014 i guess.may be its like they will launch it in late 2013 and will enter the market in the starting of 2014 as they did with piledriver but nothing can be assured.
one main thing to keep eyes on is HSA improvements.lets see what it brings to dinner table.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kaveri (Steamroller based APU) was expected early half of next year. This would be disastrous if delayed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
this should be helpful ;-)
Leaked roadmap suggests no Steamroller desktop chips next year - The Tech Report

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^

Ist - Yes, there will be an AM3+ version along with a different socket version.

2nd- Windows 8: Does AMD's Bulldozer Architecture Benefit? : Can Bulldozer Be Fixed By Windows 8?

Windows 8 Versus Windows 7: Game Performance, Benchmarked : Does Windows 8 Let You Play Just Like Windows 7?

The first link is for bulldozer and it showed no gains. So piledriver will be more or less similar.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget about SteamRoller, if AMD survives the next year then we can talk about it in 2014. ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
got that - it would be the 3rd Generation FX-series CPU family and we will get to see them on 2014 ...

Top Bottom