AMD Piledriver Discussion Thread

Minion

Conversation Architect
FX 8350 Review is out at tomshardware it does perform closely to Intel core i7 3770k but with much lesser price.
SOURCE
AMD FX-8350 Review: Does Piledriver Fix Bulldozer's Flaws? : Meet AMD

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
nice increase all around. Finally beats sandy. AMD needs to get all popular software optimised for Piledriver.
Beating Ivy will only be possible when they hit a new process node.
But it is good value compared to Intel. Prices need to still come down a bit.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
looking at the benchmarks I'm really pleased about FX-8350 though the pricing in here is really steep .. it's supposed to be $195 .. so I'm taking the pricing of bitfang with a pinch of salt ;-)

gameranand

Living to Play
Any new motherboards launched lately ??? I mean the present mobos are like Year old and don't offer advanced features.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well thats not exactly I mean. I mean they are old so something new should come having like I donno Thunderbolt, more USB 3.0 ports, Wifi etc. I know that these are more of a gimmick rather than actual features but sure these features supported on board won't hurt right. I mean look at Z77 platform, many boards have these type of features and all so I thought since AMD is doing well in CPU part so they should roll out some new Mobos as well for support.

@Skud
My personal request. Please reply in the gaming rig thread I make (my signature) about GPUs and add your valuable suggestions. :) Nowadays most of our senior members are not even going to PC buying area for some reasons. :D

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, actually there's no new chipset required, so I don't think mobo makers are going to bring out anything newer.

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah you are right about that. But I guess if AMD CPUs will perform well on market then that would catch Mobo manufacturer attention. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Skud
My personal request. Please reply in the gaming rig thread I make (my signature) about GPUs and add your valuable suggestions. :) Nowadays most of our senior members are not even going to PC buying area for some reasons. :D

Everyone has got their rig I guess. So may be none of us are really in touch with the market. ;)

gameranand

Living to Play
But you guys are in touch with the tech. Don't worry about market, I'll take care of that. Just give your suggestions and recommendations thats all. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah you are right about that. But I guess if AMD CPUs will perform well on market then that would catch Mobo manufacturer attention. :)

why would you need a newly launched mobo for socket AM3+ - just wait a bit and then a grab featured pack mobo like Crosshair V Formula-Z / Crosshair V Formula or a workhorse like SABERTOOTH 990FX ;-) - - they all support Vishera cpus though a bios updatre may be required.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here goes the REVIEW of PILEDRIVER, FX 8350 AMD FX-8350 Review: Does Piledriver Fix Bulldozer's Flaws? : Meet AMD.

Priced at $196, this one performs as good as i7 3770K n most apps and couple of times beating it in most multithreaded applications. Although in gaming and single threaded performance it stills lagging to the 3rd gen i processors, overall performance is better than i5 3570k . At the sub 200K price point, it is a worthy opponent to the i7 3770K which is almost $128 costlier. But still IPC and Gaming performance is not up to the mark, although there are good amount of improvement in terms of performance and power consumption over previous BD design.

Here is the Guru3D review of the whole Piledriver lineup: *www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_8320_6300_processor_4300_performance_review,1.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
and here's what Anadtech saying about Vishera :

Ultimately Vishera is an easier AMD product to recommend than Zambezi before it. However the areas in which we'd recommend it are limited to those heavily threaded applications that show very little serialization. As our compiler benchmark shows, a good balance of single and multithreaded workloads within a single application can dramatically change the standings between AMD and Intel. You have to understand your workload very well to know whether or not Vishera is the right platform for it. Even if the fit is right, you have to be ok with the increased power consumption over Intel as well.

AnandTech - The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested

my two cents : best VFM workstation cpu at a great price and if the pricing is right I may go for one ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think apart from gaming it is good VFM for everything else. Whereas it is slower in iTunes, other popular software like dbpoweramp, mediacoder etc. run faster. A general desktop user will hardly spot the difference of a few seconds. Power consumption is a sore point, but then again our systems hardly remains under full load all the time.

Here's some undervolting results:-

Google Translate

Cilus

laborare est orare
Itunes should not be considered as it has some Intel Compiler optimization and one of the worst apps for converting music with quality settings. Although Lame is faster in Ivy Bridge due to its single threaded nature, it can convert multiple tracks at a time using one file per core. If you are converting one album using LAME Encoder UI then the total time needed for the conversion will be lower in Piledriver than its Intel Counter parts at the same price point. And tell me, how many times you convert just a single track?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's one more review in which FX-8350 tested at undervolted state - it's in English and used one of my favorite test app cinebench 11.5 ;-)

AMD Piledriver FX Review - FX 8350, 8320, 6300 vs Intel Core i5 and i3

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Thanks for the link Topgear, like the way they've done the Price range comparison. Also the undervolting is a new thing here which is not present in any of the other reviews.

Top Bottom