amd fx 8350 disscussion

Cilus

laborare est orare
That was the problem with the Phenom II processors, not with BD or Piledriver.

My Sabertooth + FX 8150 combination: the stock VCore voltage is 1.26V. If you use a high Turbo speed, in my case 4.3 GHz for 6 Cores and in Windows high performance power profile, 4.3GHz for all the 8 cores, it dynamically changes between 1.426V to 1.3V.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
IMO, The FX-8350 as compared with the i5 3570K seems to be superior in most benchmarks as we can find on various sites. You can go in for the FX-8350, given that you're opting in for atleast an HD 7xxx based Graphics Card, as AFAIK, both the processor as well as the chipsets supporting the piledrivers don't have an onboard graphics solution (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm quashing my plan to go the FX-8350 way and will look forward to i7 3770K, although, I'll have to spend almost that much for the i7 3770K in which I can get the FX-8350 and an HD 7770, but, still, I'm betting upon the Intel HD 4000.

I'll suggest, go with the FX-8350 if you're palnning a dedicated graphics card, else (if you're not planning a dedicated graphics card for now) settle with the i5 3570K, but, IMO, waiting for the Haswell will be a very long wait as it's expected to be out in mid 2013, and it'll take a while for the prices to settle down.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
yes 8350 is a better choice over 3570k.but 3570 has an inbuilt graphics chip but the problem is it is almost equal to nothing in case of gaming.so there is no meaning in using it for gaming.
@niz04,
my bet 8350 over 3570k.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Its not completely a better choice. At stock...yes its a better choice. But once you overclock i5 3570k, it unleashes like a beast. Clock increments result to immense performance boost because of ivy's stronger pipeline. Now you'll say 8350 can be overclocked. But an overclocked 8350 does not scale as good as 3570k. A 3570k at 4ghz is deadly to be honest.

Tomshardware has done a $1000 system build marathon with a 8350 + gtx 670 and had compared them to their earlier build comprising of i5 3570k + gtx 670.
When both are overclocked, 3570k offers some solid performance in all applications. Besides 8350 consumes more than 150w than 3570k and overclocking both of these increases this gap to 200w and more.

Check it here:

System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $1,000 Enthusiast PC : FX-8350 Brings AMD Back To The Table

On average, the FX-8350 and Core i5-3570K do pretty well at their stock settings, the Intel-based box about 10% quicker. This will likely change as we fold more heavily-threaded tests into the Marathon, starting this quarter. Naturally, you'll want to look closest at the benchmarks that matter to you specifically when you evaluate performance, since each architecture excels in a different way.When it comes to overclocking though, Intel extends its lead with significantly lower power consumption and much better performance. If we were measuring efficiency, that'd be a home run. Yes, Xigmatek's Loki is insufficient for overclocking the 125 W FX-8350. But let's be realistic. If we wanted to squeeze better performance out of AMD's chip, we'd need to spend more money on cooling, and power consumption would rise even faster as higher voltages paved the way for more aggressive clock rates. It'd be a great experiment, and we might even play around with it in the future, but it's clear that Intel's Core i5-3570K remains the better choice for overclockers in this price range.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In India, there's some 3-4k price difference between a 8350 & a 3570k. That money can be utilized for some other things (better GPU for example), which will make the Piledriver based solution much better allround performer.

And I really doubt I am going to save 4k on power bills very quickly with a 3570k.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
^^this...paying 4K+ for that level of performance is not worth it.
also the initial platform setup cost is lower on AMD system than an Intel one.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
In case of i5 3570k the CPU+a good mobo combination would be in excess of 25k whereas in case of fx8350 good motherboards could be found starting from 6k to higher
making the fx combination around 5-7k cheaper.
Both are quite capable CPUs and both have there advantages in some areas over other.Fx8350 is simply much more recommendable than fx8150 was when it launched.
Also gaming performance has improved quite a bit with fx8350.
Picking any of the 2 platform would depend upon workload requirements,the budget.

sukesh1090

Adam young
exactly, for us most of the Indians along with performance price also takes a prime importance.the question is ,is it worth spending 4k more on i5 3570 for a bit of improved performance in some fields?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frankly, I would prefer the 8350 over i5 anyday.

Frankly, I would prefer the 8350 over i5 anyday.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
@Cilus if you are writing to Regional Manager again tell him about doing a campaign about this

people don't buy PD not because bulldozer is bad because their seller tells them that AMD is bad it tends to heat up:wink:.neither they know about bulldozer's failure nor about bulldozer.

i don't know where the new shopkeeper heard this they always lure way new customers who want to go for AMD citing this reason.
as if intel cpus will run without heat sink

Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
i don't know where the new shopkeeper heard this they always lure way new customers who want to go for AMD citing this reason.
as if intel cpus will run without heat sink

Probably there is a bigger profit margin selling intel procs.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
In case of i5 3570k the CPU+a good mobo combination would be in excess of 25k whereas in case of fx8350 good motherboards could be found starting from 6k to higher
making the fx combination around 5-7k cheaper.
Both are quite capable CPUs and both have there advantages in some areas over other.Fx8350 is simply much more recommendable than fx8150 was when it launched.
Also gaming performance has improved quite a bit with fx8350.
Picking any of the 2 platform would depend upon workload requirements,the budget.

The difference is more or less around 4k like skud said.

3570k + board

INTEL PROCESSOR CORE i5 3570K 3RD GEN

MSI Z77MA-G45 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

8350 + board

AMD FX 8350 | Processor | Flipkart.com

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

So there you have it. At stock, multithreaded task favour 8350 . Overclocking is a complete different scenario though where i5 really surges past or perform similarly.
Why is a topic of different discussion which i promise we'll soon be having.
And power consumption of piledriver is also very high on load while overclocking makes things worse.

This might not be a deal breaker for everybody, but efficiency matters in the long run.The world is going green in all fields and people should know how important it is to save power. This is what drives performance/watt .This is also another area threatening AMD's survival.
Intel's expertise in fabrication and newer architectures will see tdp drop below 60w for the highest end processor and all the way down to 10w. How much power can amd save in its next iteration has to be seen. Even gpu's are getting efficient.

A difference of 150-200w is just too much according to me.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, there is a high chance that the sample of FX-8350 Tomshardware used is not the best one as Sumon overclocked mine @ 4.6 GHz with almost no analyze of the things required for good overclocking. I have reached 4 GHz stable with my FX-8150 with the stock cooler and perform gaming for more than two hours and you have seen how cool the CPU runs. They have also admitted that they have not used a good cooler, required for 8350 and the chip was not fully stable in overclocking.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Efficiency wise Intel is far ahead, but then again, you will need a really long time to actually cover that extra 4k. Money matters. ;) And average desktop user will rarely stress the CPU to the level to actually bring out that 150-200W difference, and that too for any significant period of time.

Frankly, unlike performance and temperature, power consumption is more theoretical IMO. And with the power saving options available these days, hardly an issue for regular usage.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Efficiency wise Intel is far ahead, but then again, you will need a really long time to actually cover that extra 4k. Money matters. ;) And average desktop user will rarely stress the CPU to the level to actually bring out that 150-200W difference, and that too for any significant period of time.

Frankly, unlike performance and temperature, power consumption is more theoretical IMO. And with the power saving options available these days, hardly an issue for regular usage.
power consumption is indeed theoretical..but since the "issue" is so hyped people will fall for it.
if my own observations hold any value then lemme tell a story..i ran the FX 8150 for whole one month...Overclocked(which as myths suggested takes the power output to close to a nuclear sub) but my electricity bill stayed the same.
Go figure..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here, in my experience electricity bill surges only when Govt. increases tariff. :p

vkl

Cyborg Agent
The difference is more or less around 4k like skud said.

3570k + board

INTEL PROCESSOR CORE i5 3570K 3RD GEN

MSI Z77MA-G45 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

8350 + board

AMD FX 8350 | Processor | Flipkart.com

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

So there you have it. At stock, multithreaded task favour 8350 . Overclocking is a complete different scenario though where i5 really surges past or perform similarly.
Why is a topic of different discussion which i promise we'll soon be having.
And power consumption of piledriver is also very high on load while overclocking makes things worse.

This might not be a deal breaker for everybody, but efficiency matters in the long run.The world is going green in all fields and people should know how important it is to save power. This is what drives performance/watt .This is also another area threatening AMD's survival.
Intel's expertise in fabrication and newer architectures will see tdp drop below 60w for the highest end processor and all the way down to 10w. How much power can amd save in its next iteration has to be seen. Even gpu's are getting efficient.

A difference of 150-200w is just too much according to me.

5-7k in cases of some higher priced boards Z77 boards.Anyway even 4-5k can change things if budget is a constraint.

Yes,in case of overclocking in most applications i5 3570k would have higher dividends.
Both platforms have their pluses in some areas over other.
Now if we take applications like video encoding,encryption which can use all the cores the fx8350 would be much faster at stock than i5 3570k.
And these applications would gain from overclocking because they can use all 8 cores.

For intensive visualization again overclocking or no overclocking,fx8350 is a better choice simply because of more cores and IOMMU support.

In case of 3D rendering it is quite close between fx8350 and i5 3570k.
In final rendering of models in applications like 3DSMAX,Maya,Revit fx8350 generally fx8350 should be better because these are heavily threaded but it is not the case always.
With overclocking i5 3570k would be quite fast.Again in ray-tracing fx8350 has the advantage.
With 5k saved one can also get a better graphic card which in some cases can translate into moving from hd7870 to hd7950.In such case not only there would be huge improvement in gaming but also a good level of improvement would be seen in compute like in case of OpenCL based 3D rendering.
In situations like this rendering through hd7950 alone would be faster than the combinations of fx8350/i5 3570k+hd7950.
Viewport renderings would be lot faster with a GPU having better compute.
Another thing to consider is,though in most of the 3D modelling applications final render and test render would use full cores upto maximum utilisation there are lot of other functions which are lightly-threaded like previewing the model in viewport and considerable amount of time is spent there are well.Here the single-threaded performance comes into play.

Now applications like Euler3d which are used for CFD analysis the 8 core fx is considerably slower because this application is memory bandwidth limited which is significantly better in case of intel 2nd gen and 3rd gen processors.Now if we move to an application like Ansys which is also used for numerical analysis and fluid dynamics simulation the fx8350 should be lot faster.
An fx8150 is around 10% or more faster than i7 2600k in ansys.Applications like Abaqus which are used for elemental analysis gains a lot from GPU acceleration which means a combination with better GPU would seal the case.
As far as power consumption is concerned at stock the difference would be around 100Watts at load.But that won't matter much.Ivy is lot more power efficient but still it won't be a factor for selection in many cases.

So while selecting the platform the things that would matter are one's requirements,how much he/she can spend,overclocking,applications used etc.

Top Bottom