amd fx 8350 disscussion

Sparx75

Right off the assembly line
Im also waiting on FX 8350. I currently have a i5 LGA 1156 750 and my motherboard is causing problems. So since all LGA 1156 socket motherboards have been discontinued, I got no choice but to upgrade both Motherboard and Processor.
I could go for an i5 2500 or 3570, but I wonder how long Intel will continue the 1155 socket. Hearing that soon it'll be replaced by the 1150 socket.
AMD on the other hand will continue the AMD 3+ socket atleast until Steam Roller.
Im only thinking about the future because I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon in the future, but only if motherboard dies again.
Main tasks are gaming, multi tasking, video editting and encoding etc. I got a decent card in nvidia 250 GTS. Might upgrade that next year. What do you guys suggest?.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ That's really bad mate. Infact that i5 750 is still a very powerful cpu and you don't need to upgrade but are forced to do so because of the motherboard.
I'm still using that cpu and its going great with no lags whatsoever in all apps. Video encoding performance is also great and i'm using handbrake.

Still i would suggest to hunt for a cheap 1156 mobo for now locally and try to get one.

See here -link

Then when haswell launches, you can directly sell of the 1156 board + i5 750 processor and go for a haswell combo. That microarchitecture is highly promising and i'm currently writing an article on it.

Recently i sold my dp55wb mobo for 1.5k locally. Btw, where are you from?

Last edited:

Sparx75

^^ That's really bad mate. Infact that i5 750 is still a very powerful cpu and you don't need to upgrade but are forced to do so because of the motherboard.
I'm still using that cpu and its going great with no lags whatsoever in all apps. Video encoding performance is also great and i'm using handbrake.

Still i would suggest to hunt for a cheap 1156 mobo for now locally and try to get one.

See here -link

Then when haswell launches, you can directly sell of the 1156 board + i5 750 processor and go for a haswell combo. That microarchitecture is highly promising and i'm currently writing an article on it.

Haha well I tried most of the local stores, including MD Computers, the local store of the site you just linked me to.
And Im from Kolkata. You?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's the problem with many sellers not updating their websites. Anyway, did you try ebay or any other online shps ?

Sparx75

it's the problem with many sellers not updating their websites. Anyway, did you try ebay or any other online shps ?

Yeah I did try ebay infact. Overpriced though. Over 7-8k. Might as well get the upgrade to 8350.

See here -link

Thanks for your help. My private messages don't seem to be sending. Maybe its because Im a new member. Can you pm me other ways to contact you? Thanks.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Looking towards the launch of the FX 8350. I'll be upgrading my ancient rig. Initially planned to go with a i7 3770K, but, the price is one big hurdle. Heard about the AMD launching FX 8350 and expecting it between 11-13K. Did some online research comparing the Intel and the AMD processors and in most tests the 8350 lags too behind the i7 3770K and also the i5 3570K. Though my inclination is towards the intel i7 3770K as @ 20K, it offers a pretty decent price performance ratio, still looking forward to the FX8350 release as its price may be a deal maker or breaker.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Yes, seems to be as per the initial reviews and feedback. Since AMD has targeted it at intel's i5 3570, you can't expect too much performance to surpass the i7 3770K.
Here's a comparitive analysis between Intel i5 3570K and the AMD's FX 8350 and the i7 3770K and the FX 8350.

OP
N

niz04

Journeyman
ok then I am going to buy 8350 but I am still confused about gpu ... which gpu should I get in 13k in kolkata

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
cilus has recently bought an FX-8350 from Vedant Computers, Kolkata - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/45694-post-your-latest-purchase-563.html#post1795160
As for the GPU, as people have already pointed you towards, I'll say a 7850.
I hope this attachment based on the Graphics Card Hierarchy from Tom's Hardware might just help you decide. As for the prices, you can check it out yourself.
View attachment discrete_graphics_heirarchy.pdf

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
From anandtech's link we can make out that there is a tie between 8350 and i5 3570k.but only thing i can't make out is why it is having so much bad performance in games when it has good scores in others.looks like either os or games needs some fix regarding PD.btw this shouldn't effect any one's choice of buying PD because most of the monitors which people are using have refresh rate of 60HZ so a FPS above 60FPS your screen will start to flicker and i am sure that 8350 atleast can produce 60FPS.

here is phoronix benchmarks of 8350 and 3770k on ubuntu 12.10.
AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" Linux Benchmarks
in this 8350 is going head to head with 3770k and even performing better in some of them when overclocked to 4.60GHz.though it shows a bad performance in 1 benchmark which the reviewer thinks should be fixed with compiler. looks like ubuntu was able to do those tweaks which windows failed to do.
here is another article about compiler in 8350/trinity
AMD Piledriver/Trinity A10-5800K Compiler Tuning

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ 8350 lags 3770k in outright computation and 3d benchmarks. Its ipc is nowhere near intel and it shows.
Check out the fluid dynamics, molecular dynamics benchmarks like dolyfyn and lammps. They are scientific in nature with complex operations.
Same with the FFTE bench which has complex operations.
Even in most video encoding apps and 3d modelling, i see intel hardware strong. And don't forget 3770k can be overclocked and delivers phenomenal performance.

Intel's branch prediction logic is extremely strong ,efficient and totally in a different level than amd. So are its execution units resulting in higher ipc. I plan to discuss all these in the most simplest manner in my upcoming article on haswell microarchitecture.

But piledriver competes very good and that too at a much lower pricepoint and that's its USP, not outright performance. Its a good multitasker at the price because intel cpu's cost a lot for the performance they offer and its only due to lack of serious competition.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Wait until the Windows 8 Power and Scheduling pack update to be released which will bring strong performance enhancement in all the Multi-Core CPU.

Recently I was testing my FX 8150 with couple of tweaks, couple of them are discovered by Me. One thing I have noticed is Core Parking feature in WIndows. There are certain apps available for it which can switch on/off Core Parking on the fly from the Windows without the need of restarting. Apart from them, I also used AMD Overdrive and Fusion Utility for applying different Performance Modes and they have a noticeable performance effect over Bulldozer's performance.

I will be performing more tests and will write an article about BD performance tuning, without even touching the BIOS, shortly. in AIDA 64 Extreme 2.7 suit, my 8150 @ 4.2 GHz was ahead of i7 3960X in CPU Hash and AES benchmarks.

Vicky, Sukesh was pointing out the performance in Linux, not in Windows and if you remember, 8150 at his stock speed was almost same as i7 2600K in Linux. This is because of the optimized scheduling by Linux than WIndows. Ya, 3770K can be overclocked but don't forget it is also 8K costlier than the PD 8 Cores and you need to spend good amount of money for a Cooler to overclocking it.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@vickybat,
no offence bro but whatever strong Intel is it should have been shown in those benchmarks and in that linux benchmark 8350 looses to 3770k only in 2 or 3 tests and perform equally or better in others.even if it performs equally it is winner because of the price difference between them.if i am not wrong and if suppose linux was the main os of major population then intel might had hard time going with AMD.they might have won the battle but still the difference would have been less than 5%.in microsoft money talks over innovation but thats not the case in linux.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
But piledriver competes very good and that too at a much lower pricepoint and that's its USP, not outright performance. Its a good multitasker at the price because intel cpu's cost a lot for the performance they offer and its only due to lack of serious competition.

This. Majority of our purchases are based on price-performance ratio, rather than outright performance, unless you are on an unlimited budget. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
But the thing AMD should work out is the FPU performance where Intel does have a good amount of upper edge. The Bulldozer FPU is powerful than Phenom design but they are still not enough powerful to match per Core FPU design of the Intel and even their own Phenom II line up. Another two thing AMD should work out is the Cache Latency and Branch Prediction. The performance of the Branch Prediction unit in the module based design of Bulldozer architecture is actually worse than Phenom II lineup, atleast in WINDOWS environment.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
though the single core performance is not as good as intel ones,the lower performance than phenom may be due to the sharing of the resources.so it basically as told before is not a complete single core it is about 75-80% of it.even cache latency one of the major problem.AMD has to improve its internal memory controller.it performs like centuries old controller.they never bothered to improve it.i don't know why.and some other problems as you told may be due to WINDOWS problem.one thing is sure it is a very capable piece of hardware but weaken by WINDOWS.
btw bro the processor you bought is it 8150 or 8350???

Top Bottom